This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlation between Sensor Performance, Autonomy Performance and Fuel-Efficiency in Semi-Truck Platoons
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
Semi-trucks, specifically class-8 trucks, have recently become a platform of interest for autonomy systems. Platooning involves multiple trucks following each other in close proximity, with only the lead truck being manually driven and the rest being controlled autonomously. This approach to semi-truck autonomy is easily integrated on existing platforms, reduces delivery times, and reduces greenhouse gas emissions via fuel economy benefits. Level 1 SAE fuel studies were performed on class-8 trucks operating with the Auburn Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) system, and fuel savings up to 10-12% were seen. Enabling platooning autonomy required the use of radar, global positioning systems (GPS), and wireless vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication. Poor measurements and state estimates can lead to incorrect or missing positioning data, which can lead to unnecessary dynamics and finally wasted fuel. This is especially an issue if deceleration is applied in response to a bad measurement. In this study, a faulty radar was shown to cause a greater than 5% increase in fuel consumption. The mechanism of this fuel consumption increase is investigated and applied to other types of sensor failures to indicate their potential effects on fuel economy. This analysis indicates that poor GPS signals over short time can be largely filtered out, with no real gain or loss of fuel economy. V2V communications were intentionally limited by causing interference, which resulted in dropped communication packets over a small physical area, but not an appreciable impact on fuel economy.
CitationAdam, C., Lakshmanan, S., Richardson, P., Stegner, E. et al., "Correlation between Sensor Performance, Autonomy Performance and Fuel-Efficiency in Semi-Truck Platoons," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0064, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0064.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- F. H. Administration afdc.energy.gov https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10309
- American Transportation Research Institute 2019 https://truckingresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ATRI-Operational-Costs-of-Trucking-2019-1.pdf
- Bureau of Transportation Statistic https://www.bts.gov/topics/freight-transportation/freight-shipments-mode
- Dadam , S.R. , Jentz , R. , Ienzen , T. , and Meissner , H. Diagnostic Evaluation of Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System on Gasoline Electric Hybrid Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0902 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0902
- Bergenhem , C. , Hedin , E. , and Skarin , D. Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication for a Platooning System Elsevier 2012
- van Nunen , E. , Verhaegh , J. , Silvas , E. , Semsar-Kazerooni , E. , and et al. Robust Model Predictive Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control Subject to V2V Impairments IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC) , 2017
- Lyamin , N. Performance Evaluation of 2016
- Yu , T. , Zhang , S. , Cao , S. , and Xu , S. Oct. 2018
- Zeng , T. , Semiari , O. , Saad , W. , and Bennis , M. Joint Communication and Control for Wireless Autonomous Vehicle Platoon Systems IEEE ICC, 2018 2019
- Bergenhem , C. , Johansson , R. , and Coelingh , E. Measurements on V2V Communication Quality in a Vehicle Platooning Application MACOM 2014: Multiple Access Communications , 35 48 2014
- Wang , Z. , Wu , G. , and Barth , M.J. Developing a Distributed Consensus-Based Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control System for Heterogeneous Vehicles with Predeessor Following Topology 2017 1023654
- Wang , C. , Gong , S. , Zhou , A. , Li , T. , and et al. Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control for Connected Autonomous Vehicles by Factoring Communication-Related Constraints Elsevier 23rd International Symposium on Transportation and Traffic
- Wang , Z. , Wu , G. , and Barth , M.J. A Review on Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) Systems: Architectures, Controls, and Applications IEEE 21st International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC)
- Gonçalves , T.R. , Varma , V. , and Elayoubi , S. Vehicle Platooning Schemes Considering V2V Communications: A Joint Communication/control Approach IEEE Wireless Commu , 1 6 May 2020
- Zhang , C. , Zang , Y. , Calvo , J.A.L. , and Mathar , R. A Novel V2V Assisted Platooning System: Control Scheme and MAC layer Designs IEEE Oct. 13, 2017
- Shladover , S.E. , Nowakowski , C. , Lu , X.-Y. , and Hoogendoorn , R. Using Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) to Form High-Performance Vehicle UC Berkeley Research Reports June 1, 2014
- Lu , X.-Y. and Shladover , S.E.
- Eilbert , A.C. , Chouinard , A.-M. , Tiernan , T.A. , and Smith , S.B. Performance Comparisons of Cooperative and Adaptive Cruise Control Testing A&WMA’s 113th Annual Conference & Exhibition 2020
- McAuliffe , B. , Lammert , M. , Lu , X.-Y. , Shladover , S. et al. Influences on Energy Savings of Heavy Trucks Using Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1181 2018 https:doi:10.4271/2018-01-1181
- Crane , C. , Bridge , J. , and Bishop , R. 2018
- Roberts , J. , Mihelic , R. , Roeth , M. , and Rondini , D. 2016
- Sybis , M. , Kryszkiewicz , P. , and Sroka , P. On the Context-Aware, Dynamic Spectrum Access for Robust Intraplatoon Communications Mobile Information Systems 2018
- Serizawa , K. , Mikami , M. , Moto , K. , and Yoshino , H. Field Trial Activities on 5G NR V2V Direct Communication towards Application to Truck Platooning IEEE 90th Vehicular Technology Conference , 2019
- Nardini , G. , Virdis , A. , Campolo , C. , and Molinaro , A. 2018
- Ward , J. Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) in Controlled and Real-World Environments: Testing and Results Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium June 30, 2019
- Longman , O. Mitigation of Vehicle Vibration Effect on Automotive Radar IEEE Xplore Sep. 16, 2019
- SAE V2X Core Technical Committee .
- Federal Communications Commission https://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/presentations/files/oct07/Oct_07-Basics_of_Unlicensed_Trans-JD.pdf