This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multitarget Evaluation of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain Architectures Considering Fuel Economy and Battery Lifetime
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) powertrains are characterized by a complex design environment as a result of both the large number of possible layouts and the need for dedicated energy management strategies. When selecting the most suitable hybrid powertrain architecture at an early design stage of HEVs, engineers usually focus solely on fuel economy (directly linked to tailpipe emissions) and vehicle drivability performance. However, high voltage batteries are a crucial component of HEVs as well in terms of performance and cost. This paper introduces a multitarget assessment framework for HEV powertrain architectures which considers both fuel economy and battery lifetime. A multi-objective formulation of dynamic programming is initially presented as an off-line optimal HEV energy management strategy capable of predicting both fuel economy performance and battery lifetime of HEV powertrain layout options. Subsequently, three different HEV powertrain architectures are considered as test cases for the developed HEV assessment methodology including parallel P2, series-parallel P1P2 and power-split layouts. A comparison of numerical results for the three HEV powertrain test cases is then performed in terms of optimal fuel economy capabilities while ensuring a specific battery lifetime over several defined driving missions. Engineers could thus adopt the developed methodology to enhance the evaluation of HEV design options by considering fuel economy and battery lifetime at the same time.
CitationAnselma, P., Kollmeyer, P., Belingardi, G., and Emadi, A., "Multitarget Evaluation of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain Architectures Considering Fuel Economy and Battery Lifetime," SAE Technical Paper 2020-37-0015, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-37-0015.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- Bilgin, B. et al. , “Making the Case for Electrified Transportation,” IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 1(1):4-17, 2015.
- Anselma, P.G. and Belingardi, G. , “Comparing Battery Electric Vehicle Powertrains through Rapid Component Sizing,” Int. J. Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 11(1):36-58, 2019.
- Biswas, A. and Emadi, A. , “Energy Management Systems for Electrified Powertrains: State-of-the-Art Review and Future Trends,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 68(7):6453-6467, July 2019.
- Millo, F., Badami, M., Ferraro, C., and Rolando, L. , “Different Hybrid Powertrain Solutions for European Diesel Passenger Cars,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2(2):493-504, 2010.
- Belingardi, G., Anselma, P.G., and Demic, M. , “Optimization-Based Controllers for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Mobility & Vehicle Mechanics 44(3):53-67, 2018.
- Lempert, J., Vadala, B., Arshad-Aliy, K., Roeleveld, J., and Emadi, A. , "Practical Considerations for the Implementation of Dynamic Programming for HEV Powertrains," in 2018 IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), Long Beach, CA, 2018, 755-760.
- Kim, N., Cha, S., and Peng, H. , “Optimal Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Based on Pontryagin's Minimum Principle,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 19(5):1279-1287, 2011.
- Anselma, P.G., Huo, Y., Amin, E., Roeleveld, J. et al. , “Mode-Shifting Minimization in a Power Management Strategy for Rapid Component Sizing of Multimode Power-Split Hybrid Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1018, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1018.
- Anselma, P.G., Huo, Y., Roeleveld, J., Belingardi, G., and Emadi, A. , “Slope-Weighted Energy-Based Rapid Control Analysis for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 68(5):4458-4466, 2019.
- Amirfarhangi Bonab, S. and Emadi, A. , “Fuel-Optimal Energy Management Strategy for a Power-Split Powertrain Via Convex Optimization,” IEEE Access 8:30854-30862, 2020.
- Finesso, R., Spessa, E., and Venditti, M. , “Cost-Optimized Design of a Dual-Mode Diesel Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle for Several Driving Missions and Market Scenarios,” Applied Energy 177:366, 2016.
- Anselma, P.G., Belingardi, G., Falai, A., Maino, C., Miretti, F., Misul, D., and Spessa, E. , “Comparing Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrains for Real-World Driving,” in 2019 AEIT International Conference of Electrical and Electronic Technologies for Automotive, Torino, Italy, 2019, 1-6.
- Anselma, P.G. and Belingardi, G. , “Next Generation HEV Powertrain Design Tools: Roadmap and Challenges,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2602, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2602.
- Kollmeyer, P.J. and Jahns, T.M. , “Aging and Performance Comparison of Absorbed Glass Matte, Enhanced Flooded, PbC, NiZn, and LiFePO4 12V Start Stop Vehicle Batteries,” J. Power Sources 441, 2019.
- Bonfitto, A., Ezemobi, E., Amati, N., Feraco, S., Tonoli, A., and Hegde, S. , “State of Health Estimation of Lithium Batteries for Automotive Applications with Artificial Neural Networks,” in 2019 AEIT International Conference of Electrical and Electronic Technologies for Automotive (AEIT AUTOMOTIVE), Torino, Italy, 2019, 1-5.
- Ebbesen, S., Elbert, P., and Guzzella, L. , “Battery State-of-Health Perceptive Energy Management for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 61(7):2893-2900, Sept. 2012.
- Tang, L., Rizzoni, G., and Onori, S. , “Energy Management Strategy for HEVs Including Battery Life Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Transportation Electrification 1(3):211-222, Oct. 2015.
- Patil, C., Naghshtabrizi, P., Verma, R., Tang, Z., Smith, K., and Shi, Y. , “Optimal Battery Utilization over Lifetime for Parallel Hybrid Electric Vehicle to Maximize Fuel Economy," in 2016 American Control Conference (ACC), Boston, MA, 2016, 1524-1529.
- Li, J., Huber, T., and Beidl, C. , “Predictive Multi-Objective Operation Strategy Considering Battery Cycle Aging for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 7(3):217-232, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1011.
- Xie, S., Hu, X., Zhang, Q., Lin, X. et al. , “Aging-Aware Co-Optimization of Battery Size, Depth of Discharge, and Energy Management for Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Power Sources 450, 2020.
- Yang, Y., Ali, K.A., Roeleveld, J., and Emadi, A. , “State-of-the-Art Electrified Powertrains - Hybrid, Plug-in, and Electric Vehicles,” International Journal of Powertrains 5(1):1-29, 2016.
- Schulz, M. , “Circulating Mechanical Power in a Power Split Hybrid Electric Vehicle Transmission,” Proc IMeche, Part D: J Automobile Engineering 218:1419-1425, 2004.
- Matsumura, M., Shiozaki, K., and Mori, N. , “Development of New Hybrid Transaxle for Mid - Size Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0429, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0429.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency , “Compliance and Fuel Economy Data - Annual Certification Data for Vehicles, Engines, and Equipment,” online https://www.epa.gov/compliance-and-fuel-economy-data/annual-certification-data-vehicles-engines-and-equipment, accessed April 6, 2020.
- Alix, G., Dabadie, J., and Font, G. , “An ICE Map Generation Tool Applied to the Evaluation of the Impact of Downsizing on Hybrid Vehicle Consumption,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2385, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2385.
- Dabadie, J., Sciarretta, A., Font, G., and Le Berr, F. , “Automatic Generation of Online Optimal Energy Management Strategies for Hybrid Powertrain Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0173, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0173.
- Tyrus, J.M., Long, R.M., Kramskaya, M., Fertman, Y., and Emadi, A. , “Hybrid Electric Sport Utility Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 53(5):1607-1622, 2004.
- A123 Systems , “Nanophosphate® High Power LithiumIon Cell ANR26650M1-B,” online https://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/6610.pdf, accessed January 22, 2020.
- Guzzella, L. and Amstutz, A. , “CAE Tools for Quasi-Static Modeling and Optimization of Hybrid Powertrains,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 48(6):1762-1769, 1999.
- Vora, A.P., Jin, X., Hoshing, V., Shaver, G., Varigonda, S., and Tyner, W.E. , “Integrating Battery Degradation in a Cost of Ownership Framework for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Design Optimization.” in Proc IMeche, Part D: J Automobile Engineering, online Oct. 21, 2018.
- Bloom, I., Cole, B.W., Sohn, J.J., Jones, S.A. et al. , “An Accelerated Calendar and Cycle Life Study of Li-Ion Cells,” J. Power Sources 101(2):238-247, Oct. 2001.
- Wang, J., Liu, P., Hicks-Garner, J., Sherman, E. et al. , “Cycle-Life Model for Graphite-LiFePO4 Cells,” J. Power Sources 196(8):3942-3948, Apr. 2011.
- US Department of Energy , “eGallon: Compare the Costs of Driving with Electricity,” online https://www.energy.gov/maps/egallon, accessed January 19, 2020.
- Serrao, L., Onori, S., Sciarretta, A., Guezennec, Y., and Rizzoni, G. , "Optimal Energy Management of Hybrid Electric Vehicles Including Battery Aging," in Proceedings of the 2011 American Control Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2011, 2125-2130.
- Sundstrom, O. and Guzzella, L. , “A Generic Dynamic Programming Matlab Function,” in 2009 IEEE Control Applications, (CCA) & Intelligent Control, (ISIC), St. Petersburg, 2009, 1625-1630.
- Bruck, L., Lempert, A., Amirfarhangi Bonab, S., Lempert, J. et al. , “A Dynamic Programming Algorithm for HEV Powertrains Using Battery Power as State Variable,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0271, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0271.