This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Dynamic Behaviour of a Torque Transmission Chain for an Innovative Hybrid Power Unit Architecture
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this contribution, the mechanical torque transmission between the Electric Motor (EM) and the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) of a P0 architecture hybrid power unit is analysed.
In particular, the system is made up of a brand new, single-cylinder 480cc engine developed on the basis of the Ducati 959 Panigale V90 2-cylinders engine. The thermal engine is assisted by a custom electric motor (30 kW), powered by a Li-Ion battery pack. The Ducati 959 Panigale engine is chosen because of its high power-to-weight ratio, and for taking advantage of its V90 2-cylinders layout. In fact, the proposed hybridization process considers to remove the vertical engine head and to replace it by the electric motor directly engaged to the crankshaft using the original valvetrain transmission chain, thus achieving a very compact package. This solution could be suitable for many V-type engines and it aims to obtain a small hybrid power unit for possible motorcycle/small vehicle applications.
The original timing chain object of this study is a silent chain, which is commonly employed as a transmission component in hybrid power units because it can operate at high speeds transmitting high loads and ensuring noise reduction. For this reason, the aim of this study is to assess the possibility of using the original chain to couple the EM and the ICE. This investigation allows the replacing of the minimum number of components during the hybridization process leading to a real plug&go solution.
Therefore, the mechanical behaviour of the chain is investigated performing a dynamic analysis of the whole crank mechanism. In particular, the original twin cylinders model considering the original valvetrain system is compared with the single cylinder model engaged with the EM. The dynamic analysis provides the maximum load on the single chain link in both configurations, allowing the evaluation of a relative fatigue safety factor.
CitationMangeruga, V., Giacopini, M., Barbieri, S., and Russo, M., "Investigation on the Dynamic Behaviour of a Torque Transmission Chain for an Innovative Hybrid Power Unit Architecture," SAE Technical Paper 2020-37-0013, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-37-0013.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Saboori, B., Sapri, M., and Baba, M. , “Economic Growth, Energy Consumption and CO2 emissions in OECD (Organization for Economic CO-Operation and Development)’s Transport Sector: A Fully Modified Bi-Directional Relationship Approach,” Energy 66:150-161, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2013.12.048.
- Fontaras, G., Zacharof, N.G., and Ciuffo, B. , “Fuel Consumption and CO2 Emissions from Passenger Cars in Europe - Laboratory Versus Real-World Emissions,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 60:97-131, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2016.12.004.
- Hawkins, T.R., Gausen, O.M., and Strømman, A.H. , “Environmental Impacts of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles-a Review,” Int. J. Life Cycle Assess. 17(8):997-1014, 2012, doi:10.1007/s11367-012-0440-9.
- Mangeruga, V., Giacopini, M., Barbieri, S.G., Berni, F. et al. , “Design of a Hybrid Power Unit for Formula SAE Application: Packaging Optimization and Thermomechanical Design of the Electric Motor Case,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(2):721-736, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0197.
- Barbieri, S.G., Giacopini, M., Mangeruga, V., and Mantovani, S. , “A Design Strategy Based on Topology Optimization Techniques for an Additive Manufactured High Performance Engine Piston,” Procedia Manuf. 11(June):641-649, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2017.07.162.
- Barbieri, S.G., Giacopini, M., Mangeruga, V., and Mantovani, S. , “Design of an Additive Manufactured Steel Piston for a High Performance Engine: Developing of a Numerical Methodology Based on Topology Optimization Techniques,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1139-1150, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1385.
- IMechE website, http://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student/team-information/rules, Feb. 2019.
- Çaǧatay Bayindir, K., Gözüküçük, M.A., and Teke, A. , “A Comprehensive Overview of Hybrid Electric Vehicle: Powertrain Configurations, Powertrain Control Techniques and Electronic Control Units,” Energy Convers. Manag. 52(2):1305-1313, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.09.028.
- Mattarelli, E., Rinaldini, C.A., Scrignoli, F., and Mangeruga, V. , “Development of a Hybrid Power Unit for Formula SAE Application: ICE CFD-1D Optimization and Vehicle Lap Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0200, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0200.
- Zeraoulia, M., Benbouzid, M.E.H., and Diallo, D. , “Electric Motor Drive Selection Issues for HEV Propulsion Systems: A Comparative Study,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 55(6):1756-1764, 2006, doi:10.1109/TVT.2006.878719.
- Feng, Z.M., Li, J.L., and Liu, G.W. , “Dynamic Analysis of Silent Chain Drive System for Hybrid Car,” Adv. Mater. Res. 694-697:84-89, 2013, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/amr.694-697.84.
- Wada, M., Ide, S., Miki, S., and Ehira, A. , “Development of a Small Pitch Silent Chain for a Single-Stage Cam Drive System,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1226, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1226.
- Calabretta, M., Cacciatore, D., Carden, P., and Plail, J. , “Development of a Timing Chain Drive Model for a High Speed Gasoline Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):432-440, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0401.
- Prescott, W.C., Moss, K.D., and Powell, M.S. , “Role of Multibody Dynamics in the Design of Chain Drive Systems,” in Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference - DETC2005, 2005, 1841-1846, ISBN 0791847438, doi:10.1115/detc2005-84872.
- Moreno, D., Mucchi, E., Dalpiaz, G., and Rivola, A. , “Multibody Analysis of the Desmodromic Valvetrain of the Ducati MotoGp Engine,” in Proc. ECCOMAS, Multibody Dyn., 2007.
- Rivola, A., Carlini, A., and Dalpiaz, G. , “Modelling the Elastodynamic Behaviour of a Desmodromic Valve Train,” in Proc. 2002 Int. Conf. Noise Vib. Eng. ISMA, 1417-1426, 2002.
- Pogorelo, D. , “Differential-Algebraic Equations in Multibody System Modeling,” Numer. Algorithms 19(1-4):183-194, 1998, doi:10.1023/A:1019131212618.
- Hoffmann, N. and Gaul, L. , “Effects of Damping on Mode-Coupling Instability in Friction Induced Oscillations,” ZAMM 83(8):524-534, 2003, doi:10.1002/zamm.200310022.
- Neusser, Z., Sopouch, M., Schaffner, T., and Priebsch, H.H. , “Multi-Body Dynamics Based Gear Mesh Models for Prediction of Gear Dynamics and Transmission Error,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0897, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0897.
- Brusa, E., Delprete, C., and Genta, G. , “Torsional Vibration of Crankshafts: Effects of Non-constant Moments of Inertia,” J. Sound Vib. 205(2):135-150, 1997, doi:10.1006/jsvi.1997.0964.
- Rivola, A. and Carlini, A. , “A Camshaft Non-Linear Model for the Desmodromic Valve Train Simulation.”
- Paranjpe, R.S. , “Dynamic Analysis of a Valve Spring with a Coulomb-Friction Damper,” J. Mech. Des. Trans. ASME 112(4):509-513, 1990, doi:10.1115/1.2912639.
- Akiba, K., Shimizu, A., and Sakai, H. , “A Comprehensive Simulation of High Speed Driven Valve Trains,” SAE Technical Paper 810865, 1981, https://doi.org/10.4271/810865.
- Wang, K.W. , “Vibration Analysis of Engine Timing Chain Drives with Camshaft Torsional Excitations,” SAE Technical Paper 911063, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911063.
- Cikanek, S.R. and Bailey, K.E. , “Regenerative Braking System for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle,” in Proceedings of the American Control Conference, 2002, 3129-3134, ISBN 0780372980, doi:10.1109/ACC.2002.1025270.
- Dang Van, K., Griveau, B., and Massage, O. , “On a New Multiaxial Fatigue Limit Criterion: Theory and Application,” Biaxial and Multiaxial Fatigue 479-496, 1989.
- Van, K.D., Cailletaud, G., Flavenot, J.F., Le Douaron, A., and Lieurade, H.P. , “Criterion for High-Cycle Fatigue Failure under Multiaxial Loading,” in Icbmff2, 1986.
- Giacopini, M., Sissa, S., Rosi, R., and Fantoni, S. , “Influence of Different Temperature Distributions on the Fatigue Life of a Motorcycle Piston,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part D J. Automob. Eng. 229(9):1276-1288, 2015, doi:10.1177/0954407014560201.
- Sissa, S., Giacopini, M., and Rosi, R. , “Low-Cycle Thermal Fatigue and High-Cycle Vibration Fatigue Life Estimation of a Diesel Engine Exhaust Manifold,” Procedia Eng. 74:105-112, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2014.06.233.