This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Steering Knuckle for FSAE Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Formula vehicles (FSAE) is confronting to increase vehicle performance by reducing the weight of the various components. In consideration of weight, knuckle is one of the serious things to look over it. Steering knuckle is a nonstandard or non-catalog component hooks up with the constraint wishbones, suspension, brake disc and wheel hub. It undergoes alternating loads subjected to different conditions. In this study we aim in reduction of weight in the knuckle with concession in the yield strength. Design a two different type of compact knuckle by using the solidworks software. The compact knuckle also provides desired direction to the vehicle and also reduces the unsprung mass. To make a compact knuckle enrich a rib in less stress areas. The difference in two knuckles is that the length of model 2 knuckle is more. If the length of the knuckle increases the stress acting on upper arm will be less when compared to the model 1. But in consideration of weight based on size model 1 knuckle is less weight without consideration of material. Thus our main aim is using the material with a high strength with less weight comparing with the commercial knuckle material. In this paper, proposed a two different materials one is Aluminium alloy 7075-T6 has a high yield strength and this is compared to the prepared hybrid composite material by which the material is prepared by adding 5wt%SiC and 3wt%Gr with Aluminium alloy 7075- T6. By the properties of the two material AA7075-T6 and AA7075- T6 with 5wt%SiC and 3wt%Gr is analysed in the Ansys 16.0 software. By the results through ansys, the stress and deformation is analyzed. By concluding the work by selecting less deformation and stress observed model and material.
CitationRanganathan, S., gopal, S., eswaran, S., and muthusamy, S., "Design and Analysis of Steering Knuckle for FSAE Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0506, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Antrikshmutha, S.T., and Ghodmare, N., Design and Optimization of Steering Knuckle of FSAE Car (Singapore: Springer Science + Business Media, 2017), doi:10.1007/978-981-10-1771- 1_50.
- Dusane, S.V., Dipke, M.K., and Kumbhalkar, M.A., “Analysis of Steering Knuckle of All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) Using Finite Element Analysis,” IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng 149:012133, 2016, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/149/1/012133.
- Song, C.Y., and Lee, J.S., “Strength Design of the Knuckle Component Using Moving Least - Squares Response - Surface-Based Approximate Optimization Method,” doi:10.1243/09544070JAUTO1163.
- Vijayarangan, S., Rajamanickam, N., and Sivananth, V., Evaluation of Metal Matrix Composite to Replace Spheroidal Graphite Iron for a Critical Component, Steering Knuckle (Elsevier Ltd, 2012), doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2012.07.007.
- Habeisen, J.C., and Cox, B.M., “The Effect of HIP Processing on the Properties of A356 T6 Cast Aluminium Steering Knuckles,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1027, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1027.
- Gupta, R.K., Ramkumar, P., and Ghosh, B.R., Investigation of Internal Cracks in Aluminium Alloy AA7075 Forging (Elsevier Ltd, 2012), doi:http://doi:10.1016/j.engfailanal.2005.01.006.
- Rafi, H.K., Ram, G.D.J., Phanikumar, G., and Rao, K.P., Microstructure and Tensile Properties of Friction Welded Aluminum Alloy AA7075-T (Elsevier Ltd, 2009), doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2009.11.065.
- Lee, S.M., and Kang, C.G., “Comparative Study of Direct and Indirect Forging Processes for Rheological Material of A356 Aluminium Alloy,” Institute of Materials, 2011, doi:10.1179/026708309X12535382371690.
- Sivananth, V., Vijayarangan, S., and Rajamanickam, N., “Evaluation of Fatigue and Impact Behavior of Titanium Carbide Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2014.01.004.
- Brittoa, A.S.F., Raja, R.E., and Mabel, M.C., Prediction of Shear and Tensile Strength of the Diffusion Bonded AA5083 and AA7075 Aluminium Alloy Using ANN (Elsevier B.V, 2017), doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2017.03.056.
- Ketill, O., Pedersen, A.B., Tore Børvika, C., and StureHopperstad, O., Fracture Mechanisms of Aluminium Alloy AA7075-T651 under Various Loading Conditions (Elsevier Ltd, 2010), doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2010.06.029.