This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Noise Absorption Behavior of Aluminum Honeycomb Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Natural fibers are one of the major ways to improve environmental pollution. In this study experimental investigation and simulation of honeycomb filled with cotton fabric, wood dust and polyurethane were carried out. This study determines the potential use of cotton fabric, wood dust as good sound absorbers. Automotive industries are looking forward to materials that have good acoustic properties, lightweight, strong and economical. This study provides a better understanding of sound-absorbing material with other mechanical properties. With simulation and experimental results, validation of works provides a wider industrial application for the interior of automotive industries including marine, aviation, railway industry and many more.
CitationPrajapati, A., Sanjay, D., and Bhaskara Rao, L., "Noise Absorption Behavior of Aluminum Honeycomb Composite," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0453, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Mamtaz, H., Fouladi, M.H., Al-Atabi, M., and Namasivayam, S.N. , “Acoustic Absorption of Natural Fiber Composites,” Journal of Engineering 17(1):11-25, 2016.
- Castejon, L., Cuartero, J., Clemente, R., and Larrode, E. , “Energy Absorption Capability of Composite Materials Applied to Automotive Crash Absorbers Design,” Journal of Materials & Manufacturing 716-725, 1998.
- Jayamani, E., Hamdan, S., Rahman, M.R., and Bakri, M.K.B. , “Study of Sound Absorption Coefficients and Characterization of Rice Straw Stem Fibers Reinforced Polypropylene Composites,” Bio Resources 10(2):3378-3392, 2015.
- Deshmukh, S., Ronge, H., and Ramamoorthy, S. , “Design of Periodic foam Structures for Acoustic Applications: Concept, Parametric Study and Experimental Validation,” Journal of Materials and Design 175(1):107830, 2019.
- Hosseini Ravandi, S.A., and Valizadeh, M. , “Properties of Fibers and Fabrics That Contribute to Human Comfort,” Journal of Improving Comfort in Clothing 61-78, 2011.
- Bolton, S., and Kang, Y.J. , “Elastic Porous Materials for Sound Absorption and Transmission Control,” SAE Technical Paper 971878, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971878.
- Jayakumari, V.G., Shamsudeen, R.K., Rajeswari, R., and Mukundan, T. , “Viscoelastic and Acoustic Characterization of Polyurethane-Based Acoustic Absorber Panels for Underwater Applications,” J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 2018, doi:10.1002/APP.47165.
- Liu, W., and Herrin, D.W. , “Diffuse Field Sound Absorption of Micro Perforated Panels with Special Backings,” SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn., Stab., and NVH 1(2):464-470, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1876.
- Yuvaraj, L., and Jeyanthi, S. , “Numerical and Experimental Characterization of Acoustic Porous Material: Review,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 8(8):919-930, 2017.
- COMSOL-Mechanical User’s Guide; Version No. 5, Inc., PA, 2018.
- Dib, L., Bouhedja, S., and Amrani, H. . “Mechanical Parameters Effects on Acoustic Absorption at Polymer Foam,” Journal of Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2015, Article ID 896035, doi.org/10.1155/2015/896035.
- Transfer Impedance of a Perforatecomsol Guide, 2015.
- McGrory, M., Cirac, D.C., Gaussen, O., and Cabrera, D. , “Sound Absorption Coefficient Measurement: Re-examining the Relationship between Impedance Tube and Reverberant Room Methods” in Proceedings of Acoustics 2012, Australian Acoustical, Fremantle, Australia, Nov. 21-23, 2012.
- Robin, O., Berry, A., Doutres, O., and Atalla, N. . “Measurement of the Absorption Coefficient of Sound Absorbing Materials under a Synthesized Diffuse Acoustic Field,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 136, July 2014, VC 2014 Acoustical Society of America.
- Weissenborn, O., Ebert, C., and Gude, M. , “Modelling of the Strain Rate Dependent Deformation Behaviour of Rigid Polyurethane Foams,” Journal of Polym. Test. 54:145-149, 2016.
- Alavi Nia, A., and Sadeghi, M.Z. , “An Experimental Investigation on the Effect of Strain Rate on the Behaviour of Bare and Foam-Filled Aluminium Honeycombs,” Journal of Material Density 52:748-756, 2013.
- SHIMADZU Universal Testing, Analytical and Measuring Instrument Lab Manual, Australasia, 2016.