This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Drag Optimization of Multi-Axle Commercial Vehicle Model Using ANSYS Fluent
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Aerodynamics is the study of the effects of air when in motion. The vehicle aerodynamics have become crucial since have realized its importance. This study has been focused on optimizing the aerodynamics with means of adding external aerodynamic component. A custom built multi-axle commercial vehicle (CV) model is subjected to aerodynamic modification and optimized. The components are modified to their optimum size, angle and shape to achieve the best to reduce the drag coefficient, and enhance better performance. The physical appearance of the custom built multi-axle commercial vehicle model has been given keen significance while designing the external devices. All the analysis and modifications have been tried out computationally in the CFD software “ANSYS Fluent” and the CAD modeling in “Creo Parametric”.
CitationNatarajan, R., Ravi, V., C, S., Arulvizhi, V. et al., "Drag Optimization of Multi-Axle Commercial Vehicle Model Using ANSYS Fluent," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0494, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Götz , H. , and Mayr , G. Hucho , W.H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Warrendale, PA SAE International 1998 415 488
- Eowsakul , V. and Ortolani , T.J. 1997
- Cresswell , M.G.L. , and Hertz , P.B. Aerodynamic Drag Implications of Exterior Truck Mirrors SAE Technical Paper 920202 1992 https://doi.org/10.4271/920204
- Roy , S. , and Srinivasan , P. External Flow Analysis of a Truck for Drag Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3500 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3500
- Koike , M. , Nagayoshi , T. et al. Research on Aerodynamic Drag Reduction by Vortex Generators Mitsubishi Motors Technical Review 16 2004
- Wood , R.M. , Steven , X. , and Bauer , S. Simple and Low-Cost Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailer Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3377 2003 https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-3377
- Drollinger , R.A. Heavy Duty Truck Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 870001 1987 https://doi.org/10.4271/870001
- Sovran , G. et al. Aerodynamic Drag Mechanisms of Bluff Bodies and Road Vehicles Plenum Publishing Corp 1978
- SAE Recommended Practice 1981