This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Magnesium Alloyed Front Cover for a Light Duty Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
With Continuous increase in demand to reduce weight is forcing Automotive Designers towards finding ways to explore new materials for the Engine components. Currently, Aluminum, Thermoplastics and Composites are widely used in Engine application. This paper examines the potential of a Magnesium alloy Front Cover designed to replace the Cast iron Front Cover in a Light duty Diesel engine. In presented study, a Cast iron Engine front cover is re-designed for Magnesium alloy and components developed. Further Magnesium alloy component tested at vehicle level and it has been demonstrated that a magnesium alloy Front cover can achieve key functional requirements such as Structural durability, Sealing, NVH, while providing substantial Weight saving.
CitationBhargava, A., Soni, G., and WANI, P., "Development of Magnesium Alloyed Front Cover for a Light Duty Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0459, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- Sonsino , C. , Kaufmann , H. , and Keiper , R. Light Turbocharger Compressor Wheels from Aluminium and Magnesium Investment Casting SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0371 1999 https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0371
- Renaud , J. , and Watanabe , K. Design Considerations for Magnesium Components SAE Technical Paper 930416 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/930416
- Nassar , A. Design Concept of Magnesium Accessory Drive Brackets SAE Technical Paper 910553 1991 https://doi.org/10.4271/910553
- Anbuchezhiyan , G. , Muthuramalingam , T. , and Mohan , B. Effect of Process Parameters on Mechanical Properties of Hollow Glass Microsphere Reinforced Magnesium Alloy Syntactic Foams under Vacuum Die Casting Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering 18 4 1645 1650 2018
- Anbuchezhiyan , G. , Mohan , B. , Sathianarayanan , D. , and Muthuramalingam , T. Synthesis and Characterization of Hollow Glass Microspheres Reinforced Magnesium Alloy Matrix Syntactic Foam Journal of Alloys and Compounds 719 1 125 132 2017