This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Promising Natural Organic Rosin Based Composites Fabricated at Stove Top Temperature
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Rosin is a naturally available organic material obtained especially from pine trees. It finds many usages and applications in areas like soldering, pharmaceuticals, building work, engineering field etc. In this work, an attempt has been made to study experimentally the improvement in strength of rosin at normal stove top temperature by means of combining rosin in various ratios with some important organic hardeners and chemicals of literature importance. A table top book press was fabricated for the purpose of rosin pressing using simple tools like teak wood, bolt and nuts. Experiments were conducted using commonly used kitchen gas stove, fabricated book press, rosin raw material, aluminium sulfate powder, maleic anhydride chemical, acetone, ethanol and saw dust particles for making different combination materials using rosin as the main element. Results showed that, rosin on its own without additives showed higher viscosity and brittleness. When combined with organic hardener aluminium sulfate, rosin produced an improved material with reduced brittleness, good hardness and good energy absorption. And by combining with maleic anhydride chemical, rosin produced a hard monomer with an improvement in energy absorption with better future scopes. Comparatively better material was obtained using saw dust particle reinforced rosin and chemical hardener combination. Improvement in characteristics like viscosity and energy absorbed were observed using experiments at three different temperatures. With this improvements, rosin promises to be a possible future material or material additive like filler in composites with regard to anti-plastic materials or plastic alternatives.
CitationKumar Ayyaswamy, J., S., S., S., S., and Ravikumar Solomon, G., "Promising Natural Organic Rosin Based Composites Fabricated at Stove Top Temperature," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0452, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Giri, S.K., Prasad, N., Pandey, S.K., Prasad, M. et al. , Natural Resins and Gums of Commercial Importance - At a Glance (Ranchi, Jharkhand: Indian Institute of Natural Resins and Gums (IINRG), 2008), 1-43.
- Atta, A.M., and Elsaeed, A.M. , “Preparation and Evaluation of Epoxy Binders Based on Rosin as Organic Coating for Steel,” Recent Patents on Corrosion Science 1:132-143, 2011.
- Abdel-Raouf, M.E.-S., and Mahmoud Abdul-Raheim, A.-R. , “Rosin-Chemistry, Derivatives, and Applications: A Review,” BAOJ Chemistry, BIO ACCENT 4(1):1-16, 2018.
- Kugler, S., Ossowicz, P., Malarczyk-Matusiak, K., and Wierzbicka, E. , “Advances in Rosin-Based Chemicals: The Latest Recipes, Applications and Future Trends,” Molecules, MDPI 24:1-51, 2019.
- PavloBekhta, J.S., Saldan, R., and Novak, I. , “Effect of Different Hardeners for Urea-Formaldehyde resin on Properties of BIRCH PLYWOOD,” Acta Facaltatis Xylologiae Zvolen 58(2):65-72, 2016.
- JohnPresin Kumar, A., and Rajavel, R. , “Wear Loss Behaviour of Sol-Gel Treated Aluminium Alloys for Bearing Application,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 6(20):2405-2412, 2011.
- JohnPresin Kumar, A., and Rajavel, R. , “Specific Wear Rate Behaviour of Sol-Gel Treated Aluminium Alloys for Bearing Application,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 6(20):2459-2466, 2011.
- Smith, R.J., Horn, A.J., and Sherry, A.H. , “Relating Charpy Energy to Fracture Toughness in the Lower Transition Region Using a Weibull Stress Dependent Energy Scaling Model,” International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping 72(83), 2018.
- JohnPresin Kumar, A., and Rajavel, R. , “Different Hardness Sol-Gel Surface Treatment of A390 Aluminium Alloy and Its Tribological Effects,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 7(3):339-343, 2012.
- Lu, Y., Zhao, Z., Bi, L., Chen, Y. et al. , “Synthesis of a Multifunctional Hard Monomer from Rosin: The Relationship of Allyl Structure in Maleopimarate and UV-Curing Property,” Scientific Reports 8:1-11, 2018.
- JohnPresin Kumar, A., and Rajavel, R. , “Dry Sliding Wear Behaviour of Sol-Gel Treated Aluminium Alloys,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 7(3):333-338, 2012.
- Chandramohan, D., and John Presin Kumar, A. , “Experimental Data on the Properties of Natural Fiber Particle Reinforced Polymer Composite Material,” Data in Brief 13:460-468, 2017.
- Ayyaswamy, J., Sattanathan, S., Ramachandran, B., and Nadarajan, M. , “Banana Stem Based Activated Carbon as Filler in Polymer Composites for Automobile Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0093, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0093.
- Chandramohan, D., and John Presin Kumar, A. , “Fibre Reinforced Composites: A Promising Material for Artificial Limp,” Data-Enabled Discov.Appl., Springer 1-9, 2017.
- Bakare, F.O. , “Development of Biocomposites from Lactic Acid Thermoset Resins and Cellulose Fibre Reinforcements,” Thesis, University of Boras, 1-47, 2015.
- Stanescu, M.M., and Bolcu, D. , “A Study of Some Mechanical Properties of a Category of Composites with a Hybrid Matrix and Natural Reinforcements,” Polymers 11(478):1-16, 2019.