This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Numerical Analysis and Experimental Investigation of Latest Technology Supercharged Cross Breed Engine under Bharath Stage - VI Norms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This investigation is based on the development of internal combustion engine and focusing on retaining the two-stroke cycle engine with sophisticated technologies. Due to stringent emission norms, faster depletion of petroleum fuels, fuel economy this modification is suggested based on the critical analysis. The development of a supercharged cross breed engine will be a next milestone in automotive fields, which will enhance the upcoming I.C. engines to work under effective efficiency without any deviations from the actual working cycle. The design and simulation have been carried to out to reduce or eliminate the losses during operation. Also, both the power and emission characteristics of an engine were balanced and improved than the conventional engines. A cross breed engine operates under based on two stroke cycle collaborating advanced technologies such as Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI), Digital twin Spark Ignition (DTSI), Supercharged Fuel Stratified Injection (SFSI), Multi Positioned Synchronized Valves (MPSV) and Solenoid Valve Actuation (SVA). Incorporating these improves the mechanical power output and the performance of a two stroke cycle was effectively under dynamic load conditions. The results also showed an improved combustion efficiency, low emissions, high power to weight ratio and improved fuel consumption rate. Thus the cross breed engine was developed with futuristic scope of automotive industries to supply an adequate amount of power without compromising with emission norms Bharath Standard (BS - VI), which will be implemented in India shortly. Thus the basic design of a single cylinder cross breed engine has been developed, simulated and the preliminary results were calculated for the theoretical work cycle.
- ELUMALAI PERUMAL VENKATESAN - DHANALAKSHhttpsMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- Hariharan Varadharajan - Dhanalakshmi College of Engineering
- Parthasarathy Murugesan - Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr Sagunthala R D I
- JAYAKAR JAYADAS - +DHANALAKSHMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- NANDHAKUMAR DURAIKANNU - DHANALAKSHMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- MANICKAVASAGAN PONRAJ - Hexagon
- NAMBIRAJ MASILAMANI - DHANALAKSHMI COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
- Naveen B - Dhanalakshmi Srinivasan College of Engrg
CitationPERUMAL VENKATESAN, E., Varadharajan, H., Murugesan, P., JAYADAS, J. et al., "Assessment of Numerical Analysis and Experimental Investigation of Latest Technology Supercharged Cross Breed Engine under Bharath Stage - VI Norms," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0447, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0447.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Albayrak Çeper, B., Yıldız, M., Akansu, S.O., and Kahraman, N. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of an IC Engine under SI, SI-CAI and CAI Combustion Modes,” Energy 136:72-79, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2016.08.038.
- Mavrelos, C., and Theotokatos, G. , “Numerical Investigation of a Premixed Combustion Large Marine Two-Stroke Dual Fuel Engine for Optimizing Engine Settings via Parametric Run,” Energy Conversion and Management 160:48-59, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.12.097.
- Heywood, J.B. , “Automotive Engines and Fuels: A Review of Future Options,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 7(3):155-184, 1981, https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-1285(81)90010-1.
- Jeongwoo, L., Cheolwoong, P., Yongrae, K., Choi, Y. et al. , “Effect of Turbocharger on Performance and Thermal Efficiency of Hydrogen-Fueled Spark Ignition Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44(8):4350-4360, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.12.113.
- Maria Antonietta Costagliola, A., Maria Vittoria Prati, A., Salvatore Florio, B., Pietro Scorletti, B. et al. , “Performances and Emissions of a 4-Stroke Motorcycle Fuelled with Ethanol/Gasoline Blends,” Fuel 183:470-477, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.06.105.
- Wei, M., Li, S., Xiao, H., and Guo, G. , “Combustion Performance and Pollutant Emissions Analysis Using Diesel/Gasoline/Iso-Butanol Blends in a Diesel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 149:381-391, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.07.038.
- Noraa, M.D., Lanzanovaa, T.D.M., and Zhaob, H. , “Investigation of Performance and Combustion Characteristics of a Four-Valve Supercharged Two-Stroke DI Engine Fuelled with Gasoline and Ethanol,” RS 97105-97900, 2018.
- Aulin, H., Johansson, T., Tunestål, P., and Johansson, B. , “Control of a Turbo Charged NVO HCCI Engine Using a Model Based Approach,” IFAC Proceedings Volumes 42(26):79-86, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3182/20091130-3-fr-4008.00011.
- Ojapah, M., Zhang, Y., Zhao, H., and Ganippa, L. , “Particulate Matter Emission from Different Combustion Modes in a 2/4 Stroke Switchable Direct Injection Gasoline Engine. Internal Combustion Engines: Improving Performance, Fuel Economy and Emission,” 75-83, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1533/9780857095060.2.75.
- Rao, V.S., Kurbet, K.A., Vinay, S.N., and Kuppasamy, V. , “A Review on Performance of the IC Engine Using Alternative Fuels,” Materials Today Proceedings 5(1):1989-1996, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.11.303.
- Savioli, T., Zardin, B., and Borghi, M. , “Development of a 2-Stroke GDI Engine,” Energy Procedia 126:1091-1098, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.08.248.
- Li, S., Wua, P., Cao, L., Wua, D. et al. , “CFD Simulation of Dynamic Characteristics of a Solenoid Valve for Exhaust Gas Turbocharger System,” Applied Thermal Engineering 110:213-222, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.08.155.
- Zhang, Y., and Zhao, H. , “Investigation of Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of 2-Stroke and 4-Stroke Spark Ignition and CAI/HCCI Operations in a DI Gasoline,” Applied Energy 130:244-255, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.05.036.
- Hadia, F., Wadhah, S., Ammar, H., and Ahmed, O. , “Investigation of Combined Effects of Compression Ratio and Steam Injection on Performance, Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of HCCI Engine,” Case Studies in Thermal Engineering 10:262-271, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csite.2017.07.005.
- Dalla Nora, M., Lanzanova, T.D.M., and Zhao, H. , “Effects of Valve Timing, Valve Lift and Exhaust Backpressure on Performance and Gas Exchanging of a Two-Stroke GDI Engine with Overhead Valves,” Energy Conversion and Management 123:71-83, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.05.059.
- Liu, L., and Chang, S. , “Motion Control of an Electromagnetic Valve Actuator Based on the Inverse System Method,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 226(1):85-93, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407011413033.
- Yoon, M., Chung, N.-H., Lee, M.-K., and Sunwoo, M.-H. , “An Engine-Control-Unit-in-the-Loop Simulator of a Common-Rail Diesel Engine for Cylinder-Pressure-Based Control,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 223(3):355-373, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1243/09544070jauto930.
- Hari Chandrudu, T. and Raghavendra, S. , “Enforcement of an Electromagnetic Valve in I.C Engines,” IRJET-V4I4655 04(04), 2015, ISSN: 2395-0072.
- Chladny, R.R., Koch, C., and Lynch, A.F. , “Modeling Automotive Gas-Exchange Solenoid Valve Actuators,” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 41(3):1155-1162, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1109/tmag.2004.841701.
- Jagannath Reddy, S., Praveen Kumar, G., and Shravya, B. , “Camless Engine Using Electromagnetic Valve Actuator,” IJPERA 3(2):05-10, July-Aug. 2018, ISSN:2456-2734.
- Abdullah, M.A., Tamaldin, N., Rusnandi, H., Manoharan, T. et al. , “Development and Modification of a Single Overhead Camshaft 4-Valve 4-Stroke 135 Cc Formula Varsity Race Car Engine,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 50:012005, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/50/1/012005.
- Okeke, E.U., and Lebele-Alawa, B.T. , “Modification Design of Petrol Engine for Alternative Fuelling Using Compressed Natural Gas,” Int. J. Eng. Technol. Innov. 3(2):86-94, Apr. 2013.
- Iclodean, C. and Burnete, N. , “Influence of the Electronic Control Unit on Optimization Function of the Compression Ignition Engines Powered with Biofuels,” Annals of Faculty Engineering Hunedoara-International Journal of Engineering, CNCSIS B+, Tome XI, Fasc., 3, 2013, ISSN:1584-2665.
- Zheng, L., Cronly, J., Ubogu, E., Ahmed, I. et al. , “Experimental Investigation on Alternative Fuel Combustion Performance Using a Gas Turbine Combustor,” Applied Energy 238:1530-1542, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.01.175.
- He, B.-Q., Lin, C.-L., Li, X., Wang, X. et al. , “Numerical Study of the Mixture Formation and Stratified-Flame-Induced Auto-Ignition (SFI) Combustion Processes in a Poppet-Valve Two-Stroke Direct Injection Gasoline Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering., 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2019.02.025.
- Bei~Son, R.S., and Woods, W.A. , “Wave Action in the Exhaust System of a Supercharged Two-Stroke-Engine Model,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 1(2-3):253-281, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(60)90043-6.
- Carlucci, A.P., Ficarella, A., Laforgia, D., and Renna, A. , “Supercharging System Behavior for High Altitude Operation of an Aircraft 2-Stroke Diesel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 101:470-480, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.06.009.
- Kwon, H., Choi, H., Kim, J., and Min, K. , “Combustion and Emission Modelling of a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine by Combining Flamelet Models for Premixed and Diffusion Flames,” Combustion Theory and Modelling 16(6):1089-1108, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1080/13647830.2012.708056.
- Sakellaridis, N.F., Raptotasios, S.I., Antonopoulos, A.K., Mavropoulos, G.C. et al. , “Development and Validation of a New Turbocharger Simulation Methodology for Marine Two Stroke Diesel Engine Modelling and Diagnostic Applications,” Energy 952-966.
- Yum, K.K., Taskar, B., Pedersen, E., and Steen, S. , “Simulation of a Two-Stroke Diesel Engine for Propulsion in Waves,” International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering 9(4):351-372, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnaoe.2016.08.004.
- Salvi, B.L., Subramanian, K.A., and Panwar, N.L. , “Alternative Fuels for Transportation Vehicles: A Technical Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 25:404-419, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.04.017.
- Iodice, P., and Senatore, A. , “New Research Assessing the Effect of Engine Operating Conditions on Regulated Emissions of a 4-Stroke Motorcycle by Test Bench Measurements,” Environmental Impact Assessment Review 61:61-67, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2016.07.004.
- Senatore, A., Buono, D., Frosina, E., Prati, M.V. et al. , “Performances and Emissions of a 2-Stroke Diesel Engine Fueled with Biofuel Blends,” Energy Procedia 81:918-929, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.12.147.
- Pradeep, V., Bakshi, S., and Ramesh, A. , “Direct Injection of Gaseous LPG in a Two-Stroke SI Engine for Improved Performance,” Applied Thermal Engineering 89:738-747, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2015.06.049.
- Baeta, J.G.C., Rodrigues Filho, F.A., Pontoppidan, M., Valle, R.M. et al. , “Exploring the Performance Limits of a Stratified Torch Ignition Engine Using Numerical Simulation and Detailed Experimental Approaches,” Energy Conversion and Management 126:1093-1105, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.08.073.
- Shi, C., Ji, C., Wang, S., Yang, J. et al. , “Numerical Simulation on Combustion Process of a Hydrogen Direct-Injection Stratified Gasoline Wankel Engine by Synchronous and Asynchronous Ignition Modes,” Energy Conservation and Management, 2018.
- Rodrigues Filho, F.A., Moreira, T.A.A., Valle, R.M., Baêta, J.G.C. et al. , “E25 Stratified Torch Ignition Engine Performance, CO2 Emission and Combustion Analysis,” Energy Conversion and Management 115:299-307, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.02.052.