This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Selection of Steering Mechanism for Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This paper focuses on an optimal selection of steering mechanisms for electric vehicles (specifically BEV). In the first phase, we try to develop an atlas of steering mechanisms and in the second phase do an optimal steering mechanism selection to be used in the electric vehicle. The steering system is critical for the optimal performance of the e-vehicle. Because of the absence of an engine, the propulsive electric motor is dominant. But whenever BEV moves in city limits, it imposes peculiar constraints leads to the selection of best possible choice of propulsive motor control unit (MCU), battery control unit (BCU) and other relevant controllers of an electric vehicle. Most of the researchers pay attention to the MCU and BCU but ignores the steering system. For the proper functioning of BEVs, we also have to pay attention to the steering system. The steering system incorporates types of mechanisms, linkages, joints, connections to the control motors. We are using Hong Sen Yan’s creative design theory for mechanical devices to generate all possible permutation combinations of steering systems including newer ones as an atlas, which will be relevant to be part of the e-vehicle. Optimal selection of steering system from this atlas will be based on performance indices such as trafficability, maneuverability, terrainability, etc. With the constraint imposed by the performance parameter, like turning angle, turning radius mechanical advantage, the position of the center of gravity, etc. we select the most suitable steering system for BEV. These will help in realizing the practically most suitable steering system for BEVs. And this is expected from BEV so that drivers can have a smooth ride, with all optimally controlled design parameters for Bev’s on-road performance.
CitationKATAIT, S. and Dorlikar, P., "Optimal Selection of Steering Mechanism for Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0446, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0446.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Yan , H.S. Creative Design of Mechanical Devices Singapore Spinger-Verilog 2008
- Torgal , S. Application of Maxcode Algorithm for the Enumeration of Kinematic Chains of 9 Link and Two Degree of Freedom SmartCom 2016, CCIS 628 581 589 2016
- Bedi , G.S. and Sanyal , S. Loop Based Algorithm for Autonomous Sketching of Planar Kinematic Chains Proceedings of 1st and 16th National Conference on Mechanism and Machines (iNaCOMM 2013) India 2013
- Hsieh , C.F. , Hwang , W.Y. , and Yan , H.S. Generation and Sketching of Generalized Kinematic Chains Proceedings of the ASME 2008 International Design Engineering Technological Conference and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference New York 1998
- Mruthunjaya , T.S. A Computerized Methodology for Structural Synthesis of Kinematic Chains: Part 1 Formulation Mechanism Machine Theory 19 6 487 495 1984
- Mruthunjaya , T.S. Structural Synthesis by Transformation of Binary Chains Mechanism and Machine Theory 14 221 231 1979
- Mruthunjaya , T.S. A Computerized Methodology for Structural or Partially Known Cases Mechanism and Machine Theory 19 6 497 505 1984
- Hwang , W.M. , and Hwang , Y.W. Computer Aided Structural Synthesis of Planar Kinematic Chains with Simple Joints Mechanism and Machine Theory 27 2 189 199 1992
- Rao , A.C. , and Deshmukh , P.B. Computer Aided Structural Synthesis of Planar Kinematic Chains Obviating the Test for Isomorphism Mechanism and Machine Theory 36 489 506 2001
- Xu , Z.
- Hishinuma , T. 1986
- Ardayfio , D.D. , and Qiao , D. Analytical Design of Seven Joint Spatial Steering Mechanisms Mechanism and Machine Theory 22 4 315 319 1987
- Hutchison , W.R. , Teal , R.D. , Skriba , D.A. , Wasson , S.C. et al. Mar. 31 1992
- Zarak , C.E. , and Townsend , M.A. Optimal Design of Rack-and-Pinion Steering Linkages Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions, and Automation in Design 105 221 June 1983
- Rahmani Hanzaki , A. , Saha , S.K. , and Rao , P.V.M. Analysis of a Six-bar Rack-and-Pinion Steering Linkage SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-316 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-316