This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Impact of Injection Timing on the Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with the Blend of Microalgae Methyl Ester and Pure Diesel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This paper deals with the performance, emission and combustion features of a single cylinder four stroke compression ignition engine with fuel injection timing at advancement and retardment. The current experiment was conducted on a single cylinder four stroke diesel engine fuelled with microalgae methyl ester blended with pure diesel in the proportions of 30% and 70% respectively and it was designated as B30 (30% Microalgae methyl ester + 70% Pure diesel). The present test was carried out at three different fuel injection timings such as 190 R CA (Retarded crank angle), 230 S CA (Standard crank angle) and 270 A CA (Advanced crank angle) BTDC. At the end, the experimental work revealed that, at retarded injection timing the performance parameters such as BSFC of B30 was improved by 7.7%, BTE was increased by 14.64% and EGT was reduced by 12.93%, emission parameters such as CO2 was reduced by 4.42%, CO was reduced by 77.82%, UHC was reduced by 4.44%, NOx was reduced by 11.42% and smoke opacity was declined by 1.94%, but combustion parameters such as cylinder peak pressure was reduced and it was increased at advanced injection timing, maximum heat release rate of B30 was decreased for all injection timings and ignition delay is reduced but it is increased at advanced when compared to the results of pure diesel at standard injection timing at full load condition.
CitationTatikonda, N. and Naveenchandran, P., "Investigation on the Impact of Injection Timing on the Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Fuelled with the Blend of Microalgae Methyl Ester and Pure Diesel," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0441, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Tatikonda, N.C., and Naveenchandran, P. , “An Experimental Assessment on the Impact of Injection Pressure on the Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Powered with the Blend of Diesel and Microalgae Biodiesel,” International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology 8(6):3284-3291, 2019, doi:10.35940/ijeat.F9500.08861.
- Sheehan, J., Camobreco, V., Duffield, J., Shapouri, H. et al. , An Overview of Biodiesel and Petroleum Diesel Life Cycles (United States: N.P, 2000), doi:10.2172/771560.
- Nambaya Charyulu, T., Naveenchandran, P., Raja, E., and Babu, R.N. , “The Behavioural Attributes about a Compression Ignition Engine Powered with Diesel and Artocarpus heterophyllus Methyl Ester Blends,” 13(2):876-886, 2020, doi:10.31788/RJC.2020.1325560.
- Tuccar, G., Ozgur, T., and Aydin, K. , “Effect of Diesel-Microalgae Biodiesel-Butanol Blends on Performance and Emissions of Diesel Engine,” Fuel 132:47-52, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2014.04.074.
- Ahmad, A.L., Yasin, N.H.M., Derek, C.J.C., and Lim, J.K. , “Microalgae as a Sustainable Energy Source of Biodiesel Production: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15(1):584-593, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2010.09.018.
- Mata, T.M., Martins, A.A., and Caetano, N.S. , “Microalgae for Biodiesel Production and Other Applications: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 14(1):217-232, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2009.07.020.
- Shalaby, E.A. , “Algal Biomass and Biodiesel Production,” in: Biodiesel-Feed Stocks and Processing Technologies (2011), 111-132, doi:10.5772/25531.
- Chisti, Y. , “Biodiesel from Microalgae,” Biotechnology Advances 25(3):294-306, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.biotechadv.2007.02.001.
- Chisti, Y. , “Biodiesel from Microalgae Beats Bio-Ethanol,” Trends in Biotechnology 26(3):126-131, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.tibtech.2007.12.002.
- Demirbas, A., and Fatih Demirbas, M. , “Importance of Algae Oil as a Source of Biodiesel,” Energy Conversion and Management 52(1):163-170, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.055.
- Tatikonda, N.C., and Naveenchandran, P. , “The Behaviour of Compression Ignition Engine Under the Influence of Diesel and Microalgae Biodiesel Blends,” International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development 9(4):447-456, 2019, doi:10.24247/ijmperdaug201944.
- Nwafor, O.M.I. , “Effect of Advanced Injection Timing on Engine Characteristics of Diesel Engine Running on Natural Gas,” Renewable Energy 32:2361-2368, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2006.12.006.
- Kannan, G.R., and Anand, R. , “Effect of Injection Pressure and Injection Timing on DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel from Waste Cooking Oil,” Biomass and Bioenergy 46:343-352, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.biombioe.2012.08.006.
- Korkmaz, M., Ritter, D., Jochim, B., Beeckmann, J. et al. , “Effects of Injection Strategy on Performance and Emissions Metrics in a Diesel/Methane Dual Fuel Single-Cylinder Compression Ignition Engine,” International Journal of Engine Research 1-14, 2019, doi:10.1177/1468087419836586.
- Pradeep Kumar, A.R., Annamalai, K., and Premkartikkumar, .S.R. , “Influence of Injection Timing on Emission Parameters of Adelfa Biodiesel (Nerium Oil Methyl Ester-Nome) Fuelled DICI Engine,” International Journal of Innovative Technology and Research 1(1):99-102, 2013.
- Kumar Agarwal, A., Kumar Srivastava, D., Dhar, A., Kumar Maurya, R. et al. , “Effect of Fuel Injection Timing and Pressure on Combustion, Emissions and Performance Characteristics of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine,” Fuel, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2013.03.016.
- Balusamy, T., and Marappan, R. , “Effect of Injection Time and Pressure on CI Engine Fuelled with Methyl Ester of Thevetia Peruviana Seed Oil,” International Journal of Green Energy 7(4):397-409, 2010, doi:10.1080/15435075.2010.493811.
- Buyukkaya, E., and Cerit, M. , “Experimental Study of NOx Emissions and Injection Timing of a Low Heat Rejection Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 47:1096-1106, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2007.07.009.
- Ganapathy, T., Gakkhar, R.P., and Murugesan, K. , “Influence of Injection Timing on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Jatropha Biodiesel Engine,” Applied Energy 88:4376-4386, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2011.05.016.
- Mani, M., and Nagarajan, G. , “Influence of Injection Timing on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Running on Waste Plastic Oil,” Energy 34:1617-1623, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2009.07.010.
- Mohan, B., Yang, W., and Chou, S.K. , “Fuel Injection Strategies for Performance Improvement and Emissions Reduction in Compression Ignition Engines—A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 28:664-676, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2013.08.051.
- Nwafor, O.M.I., Rice, G., and Ogbonna, A.I. , “Effect of Advanced Injection Timing on the Performance of Rapeseed Oil in Diesel Engines,” Renewable Energy 21:433-444, 2000, doi:10.1016/S0960-1481(00)00037-9.
- Nwafor, O.M.I. , “Effect of Advanced Injection Timing on Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Running on Biofuel,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 25(3):115-122, 2004, doi:10.1080/01430750.2004.9674950.
- Ashrafur Rahmann, S.M., Masjuki, H.H., Kalam, M.A., Sanjid, A. et al. , “Assessment of Emission and Performance of Compression Ignition Engine with Varying Injection Timing,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 35:221-230, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2014.03.049.
- Sayin, C., Gumus, M., and Canakci, M. , “Effect of Fuel Injection Timing on the Emissions of a Direct-Injection (DI) Diesel Engine Fuelled with Canola Oil Methyl Ester-Diesel Fuel Blends,” Energy Fuels 24:2675-2682, 2010, doi:10.1021/ef901451n.
- Channapattana, S.V., Pawar, A.A., and Kamble, P.G. , “Investigation of DI-CI Four Stroke VCR Engine at Different Static Injection Timings Using Biofuel Derived from Non-edible Oil Source as a Fuel,” Biofuels, 2016, doi:10.1080/17597269.2016.1187540.
- Mofijur, M., Masjuki, H.H., Kalam, M.A., Atabani, A.E. et al. , “Effect of Biodiesel from Various Feedstocks on Combustion Characteristics, Engine Durability and Materials Compatibility: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 28:441-455, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2013.07.051.
- Jindal, S. , “Combustion, Performance and Emissions of a DI-CI Engine Running on Karanj Methyl Ester: Influence of Injection Timing,” International Journal of Sustainable Engineering 4(2):136-144, 2011, doi:10.1080/19397038.2010.535922.
- Parlak, A., Yaşar, H., Haşimoğlu, C., and Kolip, A. , “The Effects of Injection Timing on NOx Emissions of a Low Heat Rejection Indirect Diesel Injection Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 25(17-18):3042-3052, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2005.03.012.
- Hirkude, J., Belokar, V., and Randhir, J. , “Effect of Compression Ratio, Injection Pressure and Injection Timing on Performance and Smoke Emissions of CI Engine Fuelled with Waste Fried Oil Methyl Esters-Diesel Blend,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5(1):1563-1570, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.matpr.2017.11.247.
- Sayin, C., Ilhan, M., Canakci, M., and Gumus, M. , “Effect of Injection Timing on the Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Diesel-Methanol Blends,” Renewable Energy 34(5):1261-1269, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2008.10.010.
- Wamankar, A.K., and Murugan, S. , “Effect of Injection Timing on a DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with a Synthetic Fuel Blend,” Journal of the Energy Institute 88(4):406-413, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.joei.2014.11.003.
- Gnanasekaran, S., Saravanan, N., and Ilangkumaran, M. , “Influence of Injection Timing on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Running on Fish Oil Biodiesel,” Energy 116:1218-1229, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2016.10.039.
- Kumar, N., Varun, and Chauhan, S.R. , “Evaluation of the Effects of Engine Parameters on Performance and Emissions of Diesel Engine Operating with Biodiesel Blend,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 37(2):121-135, 2014, doi:10.1080/01430750.2014.907208.
- Belagur, V.K., and Chitimini, V.R. , “Influence of Static Injection Timing on Combustion, Emission and Performance Characteristics of DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Honne Oil Methyl Ester,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 33(2):65-74, 2012, doi:10.1080/01430750.2011.636209.
- Saravanan, S., Nagarajan, G., Lakshmi Narayana Rao, G., and Sampath, S. , “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation on Effect of Injection Timing on NOx Emission of Biodiesel Blend,” Energy 66:216-221, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2014.01.003.