This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Dual Fuel Mode CI Engine Operated with Waste Cooking Oil - Ethanol as Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Waste cooking oils (WCOs) are renewable and in nature can be directly used as fuel into the compression ignition engines. However, the reduction in brake thermal efficiency and increasing smoke emission and oxides of nitrogen need to be solved. There are more techniques used past researchers to improves the performance and reduced the emissions characteristics of WCO. In this present work, an experimental investigation made on the effect of ethanol on engine's behavior using Waste Cooking oil (WCO) based dual fuel diesel engine. A single-cylinder diesel engine was operated and modified the intake to operate dual fuel mode at the maximum power output of 3.54 kW. Ethanol is introduced as primary fuel into the intake manifold and WCO as pilot fuel. The ethanol energy share (EES) of the total fuel was varied from 5% to 40% with a step of 5%, at fixed engine speed equal to 1500 rpm. The test results show that significant improvements in brake thermal efficiency (BTE) of the engine at maximum brake power also the oxides of Nitrogen (NOx), and smoke emissions decreased with an increasing percentage of EES. In combustion, there were sharp increases in peak in-cylinder pressure and the peak heat release rate values with the increased while the engine was operated with dual fuel mode at maximum brake power.
- Jaikumar Mayakrishnan - Hindustan Institute of Tech & Science
- Selvakumar Raja - Hindustan Institute of Tech & Science
- Senthil Kumar Masimalai - Anna University
- Vijayabalan Palanimuthu - Hindustan Institute of Tech & Science
- Sasikumar Nandagopal - Hindustan Institute of Tech & Science
- Sangeethkumar Elumalai - Hindustan Institute of Tech & Science
- Ramanathan Velmurugan - Hindustan Institute of Tech & Science
CitationMayakrishnan, J., Raja, S., Masimalai, S., Palanimuthu, V. et al., "Effects on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Dual Fuel Mode CI Engine Operated with Waste Cooking Oil - Ethanol as Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0433, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0433.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Senthil Kumar, M. et al. , “Investigations on the Influence of Ethanol and Water Injection Techniques on Engine’s Behavior of a Hydrogen - Biofuel Based Dual Fuel Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2018.09.145.
- Geo, V.E., Nagarajan, G., and Nagalingam, B. , “Studies on Dual Fuel Operation of Rubber Seed Oil and Its Bio-Diesel with Hydrogen as the Inducted Fuel,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 33(21):6357-6367, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.06.021.
- Kumar, M.S., Nataraj, G., and Arul Selvan, S. , “A Comprehensive Assessment on the Effect of High Octane Fuels Induction on Engine’s Combustion Behaviour of a Mahua Oil Based Dual Fuel Engine,” Fuel 199:176-184, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2017.02.080.
- Raja, S., Mayakrishnan, J., Nandagopal, S., Elumalai, S. et al. , “Comparative Study on Smoke Emission Control Strategies of a Variable Compression Ratio Engine Fueled with Waste Cooking Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0908, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0908.
- Imran, A., Varman, M., Masjuki, H.H., and Kalam, M.A. , “Review on Alcohol Fumigation on Diesel Engine: A Viable Alternative Dual Fuel Technology for Satisfactory Engine Performance and Reduction of Environment Concerning Emission,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 26:739-751, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.070.
- Abu-Qudais, M., Haddad, O., and Qudaisat, M. , “The Effect of Alcohol Fumigation on Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions,” Energy Conversion and Management 41(4):389-399, 2000, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-8904(99)00099-0.
- Janousek, G.S. , “Evaluation of Ethanol and Water Introduction via Fumigation on Efficiency and Emissions of a Compression Ignition Engine Using an Atomization Technique,” 2010.
- Kumar, M.S., Ramesh, A., and Nagalingam, B. , “Experimental Investigations on a Jatropha Oil Methanol Dual Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0153, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0153.
- Tsang, K.S., Zhang, Z.H., Cheung, C.S., and Chan, T.L. , “Reducing Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Fumigation Ethanol and a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst,” Energy & Fuels 24(11):6156-6165, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1021/ef100899z.
- Li, T., Zhang, X.-Q., Wang, B., Guo, T. et al. , “Characteristics of Non-Evaporating, Evaporating and Burning Sprays of Hydrous Ethanol Diesel Emulsified Fuels,” Fuel 191:251-265, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.11.070.
- Chintala, V., and Subramanian, K.A. , “Experimental Investigations on Effect of Different Compression Ratios on Enhancement of Maximum Hydrogen Energy Share in a Compression Ignition Engine under Dual-Fuel Mode,” Energy 87:448-462, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.05.014.
- Nandagopal, S., Masimalai, S.K., and Mayakrishnan, J. , “Experimental Investigation on Effect of Nano Fluids in the Behaviour of a Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Diesel Biofuel Blends,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0234, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0234.
- Kothandan, A., and Masimalai, S. , “Cleaner Emissions from a DI-Diesel Engine Fueled with Mahua Oil and Low Carbon Ethanol-Hydrogen in Dual Fuel Mode,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research 25(32):32684-32693, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-3166-9.
- Purushothaman, K., and Nagarajan, G. , “Studies on the Characteristics of Orange Oil—Diethyl Ether in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Engine Research 11(3):219-228, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1243/14680874JER06109.
- Deb, M., Sastry, G.R.K., Bose, P.K., and Banerjee, R. , “An Experimental Study on Combustion, Performance and Emission Analysis of a Single Cylinder, 4-Stroke DI-Diesel Engine Using Hydrogen in Dual Fuel Mode of Operation,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40(27):8586-8598, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.04.125.
- Masimalai, S.K. , “Preparation, Characterization and Engine Test Analysis of Methyl Esters of Unrefined Palm Oil and d-Limonene Oil Mixture as CI Engine Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2121, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-2121.
- Belgiorno, G., Di Blasio, G., and Beatrice, C. , “Parametric Study and Optimization of the Main Engine Calibration Parameters and Compression Ratio of a Methane-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine,” Fuel 222:821-840, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.038.
- Di Blasio, G., Belgiorno, G., and Beatrice, C. , “Effects on Performances, Emissions and Particle Size Distributions of a Dual Fuel (Methane-Diesel) Light-Duty Engine Varying the Compression Ratio,” Applied Energy 204:726-740, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.07.103.