This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Austenitic Filler Wires on Duplex Stainless Steel 2205 Weldment Made by Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Duplex stainless steel (DSS) 2205 grade is welded with austenitic filler wires (ERNiCrMo-3 and ERNiCrMo-4) using gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) process to operate at marine environments. Microstructure using optical (OM) and scanning electron microscopes (SEM) with energy dispersive spectroscope (EDS) are utilized to examine the metallurgical characterization of DSS 2205 weldments. Microhardness, impact, and tensile tests are employed to obtain the mechanical properties of weldments. Secondary precipitates such as Mo23C6 and Cr23C6 are formed in the ERNiCrMo-3 weldment which reduced the mechanical properties. In this study, ERNiCrMo-4 filler wire is provided enhanced mechanical properties for welding DSS 2205.
- Murugan Natesh - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Mathiyazhagan Sathishkumar - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Naunidhjyot Singh Gulati - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Srivastava Abhinav - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Looned Nimish - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Joseph Reddy Nithin - Hyundai Motor India Ltd
- Natarajan Arivazhagan - Vellore Inst of Technology
- CD Naiju - Vellore Inst. of Technology
- Manoharan Manikandan - Vellore Inst of Technology
CitationNatesh, M., Sathishkumar, M., Gulati, N., Abhinav, S. et al., "Effect of Austenitic Filler Wires on Duplex Stainless Steel 2205 Weldment Made by Gas Tungsten Arc Welding," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0431, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0431.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Verma, J., and Taiwade, R.V. , “Effect of Welding Processes and Conditions on the Microstructure, Mechanical Properties and Corrosion Resistance of Duplex Stainless Steel Weldments—A Review,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 25:134-152, 2017.
- Manikandan, M., Arivazhagan, N., Arivarasu, M., Mageshkumar, K. et al. , “Analysis of Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Continuous and Pulsed Current Gas Tungsten Arc Welded Alloy C-276 with Duplex Stainless Steel,” Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals 70(3):661-669, 2017.
- Kang, D.H., and Lee, H.W. , “Effect of Different Chromium Additions on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Multipass Weld Joint of Duplex Stainless Steel,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 43(12):4678-4687, 2012.
- Tavares, S.S.M., Pardal, J.M., Lima, L.D., Bastos, I.N. et al. , “Characterization of Microstructure, Chemical Composition, Corrosion Resistance and Toughness of a Multipass Weld Joint of Superduplex Stainless Steel UNS S32750,” Materials Characterization 58(7):610-616, 2007.
- Muthupandi, V., Bala Srinivasan, P., Shankar, V., Seshadri, S.K. et al. , “Effect of Nickel and Nitrogen Addition on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Power Beam Processed Duplex Stainless Steel (UNS 31803) Weld Metals,” Materials Letters 59(18):2305-2309, 2005.
- Alwin, B., Lakshminarayanan, A.K., Vasudevan, M., and Vasantharaja, P. , “Assessment of Stress Corrosion Cracking Resistance of Activated Tungsten Inert Gas-Welded Duplex Stainless Steel Joints,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 26(12):5825-5836, 2017.
- Sakthivel, T., Vasudevan, M., Laha, K., Parameswaran, P. et al. , “Comparison of Creep Rupture Behaviour of Type 316L (N) Austenitic Stainless Steel Joints Welded by TIG and Activated TIG Welding Processes,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 528(22-23):6971-6980, 2011.
- Vasantharaja, P., Maduarimuthu, V., Vasudevan, M., and Palanichamy, P. , “Assessment of Residual Stresses and Distortion in Stainless Steel Weld Joints,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 27(12):1376-1381, 2012.
- Qi, K., Wang, G., Jin, Y., Jiayang, G. et al. , “Effect of Heat Treatment on Structure and Properties of GTAW and Laser Beam Welded Super-Duplex Stainless Steel Joints,” International Journal of Modern Physics B 2040061, 2019.
- Zhou, Z., and Löthman, J. , “Dissimilar Welding of Super-Duplex and Super-Austenitic Stainless Steels,” Welding in the World 61(1):21-33, 2017.
- Kim, J.S., Kim, S.T., Lee, I.S., Jang, S.H. et al. , “Mechanism of Localized Corrosion and Phase Transformation of Tube-to-Tube Sheet Welds of Hyper Duplex Stainless Steel in Acidified Chloride Environments,” Materials Transactions 53(12):2166-2174, 2012.
- Sathiya, P., Aravindan, S., Soundararajan, R., and Noorul Haq, A. , “Effect of Shielding Gases on Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of Duplex Stainless-Steel Welds,” Journal of Materials Science 44(1):114-121, 2009.
- Arulmurugan, B., and Manikandan, M. , “Development of Welding Technology for Improving the Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of 21st Century Nickel Based Superalloy 686,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 691:126-140, 2017.
- Hernández-Trujillo, S.L., López-Morelos, V.H., García-Hernández, R., García-Rentería, M.A. et al. , “Effect of Electromagnetic Field on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of the Dissimilar 2205/316L Welded Joint,” in International Conference on New Trends in Fatigue and Fracture (Cham: Springer, 2017), 247-254.
- Varbai, B., Pickle, T., and Májlinger, K. , “Development and Comparison of Quantitative Phase Analysis for Duplex Stainless Steel Weld,” Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering 62(3):247-253, 2018.
- Ohmori, Y., Nakai, K., Ohtsubo, H., and Isshiki, Y. , “Mechanism of Widmanstätten Austenite Formation in a δ/γ Duplex Phase Stainless Steel,” ISIJ International 35(8):969-975, 1995.