This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Wire Cut EDM Process Parameters of Al/SiO2 Composites Using Taguchi Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This paper focused on optimizing wire cut EDM processing parameters based on the taguchi method to minimize surface roughness. The stir casting technique was used to produce 10 wt% SiO2 aluminum matrix composites as reinforcement. Three processing parameters such as time pulse on time, pulse off time, and current were considered. The orthogonal L9 section of Taguchi was used as the model of the experiment. Analysis of variance (ANOVA) was performed to detect the important parameter affecting surface roughness. The confirmation test was performed to validate the test result. The results revealed that the pulse off time (44.69%) is the most dominant factor affecting the quality of surface roughness followed by current (14%) and pulse on time (4.58%). It can be concluded that the surface roughness can be minimized with this method.
CitationSubramaniam PhD, K., Natarajan PhD, A., Vinayagam, N., Muthiya, S. et al., "Optimization of Wire Cut EDM Process Parameters of Al/SiO2 Composites Using Taguchi Method," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0426, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Chalisgaonkar, R., and Kumar, J. , “Parametric Optimization and Modelling of Rough Cut WEDM Operation of Pure Titanium Using Grey-Fuzzy Logic and Dimensional analysis,” Cogent Engineering 1(1):979973, 2014.
- Thankachan, T., Prakash, K.S., and Loganathan, M. , “WEDM Process Parameter Optimization of FSPed Copper-BN Composites,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 33(3):350-358, 2018.
- Huang, J.T., and Liao, Y.S. , “Optimization of Machining Parameters of Wire-EDM Based on Grey Relational and Statistical Analyses,” International Journal of Production Research 41(8):1707-1720, 2003.
- Matz, A.M., Kammerer, D., Jost, N., and Oßwald, K. , “Machining of Metal Foams with Varying Mesostructure Using Wire EDM,” Procedia CIRP 42:263-267, 2016.
- Tilekar, S., Das, S.S., and Patowari, P.K. , “Process Parameter Optimization of Wire EDM on Aluminum and Mild Steel by Using Taguchi Method,” Procedia Materials Science 5:2577-2584, 2014.
- Shankar, G., Jayashree, P.K., Kini, A.U., and Sharma, S.S. , “Effect of Silicon Oxide (SIO2) Reinforced Particles on Ageing Behavior of AI-2024 Alloy,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 5(9):15-21, 2014.
- Aljerf, M., Georgarakis, K., Louzguine-Luzgin, D., Moulec, A. et al. , “Strong and Light Metal Matrix Composites with Metallic Glass Particulate Reinforcement,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 532:325-330, 2012.
- Gopalakannan, S., and Senthilvelan, T. , “Optimization of Machining Parameters for EDM Operations Based on Central Composite Design and Desirability Approach,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 28(3):1045-1053, 2014.
- Estrada-Guel, I., Leyva-Porras, C., and Martínez-Sánchez, R. , “An Aluminum-Silica Nanocomposite Prepared by Means of Mechanical Milling,” Microscopy and Microanalysis 18(S2):1656-1657, 2012.
- Kumaravel, M.S., Alagumurthy, N., and Thirunavukkarasu, V. , “Experimental Analysis of Wear Characteristics of MMC ? Industrial Waste as Reinforcement,” International Journal of Applied Engineering and Research 10(8), 2015.
- Soutis, C. , “Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastics in Aircraft Construction,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 412(1-2):171-176, 2005.
- Kumaravel, M.S., Alagumurthi, N., and Mathiyalagan, P. , “Development of Aluminium-Silica Sand Metal Matrix Composite and Its Improved Hardness,” International Journal of Applied Engineering and Research 10(8), 2015.
- Rohatgi, P.K., Schultz, B.F., Daoud, A., and Zhang, W.W. , “Tribological Performance of A206 Aluminum Alloy Containing Silica Sand Particles,” Tribology International 43(1-2):455-466, 2010.
- Zuhailawati, H., Samayamutthirian, P., and Mohd Haizu, C.H. , “Fabrication of Low Cost of Aluminium, Matrix Composite Reinforced with Silica Sand,” Journal of Physical Science 18(1):47-55, 2007.
- Singh, A.K., Kumar, S., and Singh, V.P. , “Optimization of Parameters Using Conductive Powder in Dielectric for EDM of Super Co 605 with Multiple Quality Characteristics,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 29(3):267-273, 2014.
- Khan, N.Z., Khan, Z.A., Siddiquee, A.N., and Chanda, A.K. , “Investigations on the Effect of Wire EDM Process Parameters on Surface Integrity of HSLA: A Multi-performance Characteristics Optimization,” Production & Manufacturing Research 2(1):501-518, 2014.
- Świercz, R., Oniszczuk-Świercz, D., and Chmielewski, T. , “Multi-Response Optimization of Electrical Discharge Machining Using the Desirability Function,” Micromachines 10(1):72, 2019.
- Ribeiro, M.C.S., Sousa, S.P.B., and Nóvoa, P.R.O. , “An Investigation on Fire and Flexural Mechanical Behaviors of Nano and Micro Polyester Composites Filled with SiO2 and Al2O3 Particles,” Material. Today Proceedings 2(1):8-19, 2015.
- Kumar, P., and Parkash, R. , “Experimental Investigation and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters for Machining of Aluminum Boron Carbide (Al-B4C) Composite,” Machining Science and Technology 20(2):330-348, 2016, Ugrasen, G., Ravindra, H.V., Prakash, G.V.N., and Prasad, Y.N.T., “Optimization of Process Parameters in Wire EDM of HCHCr Material Using Taguchi’s Technique,” Materials Today: Proceedings 2(4-5):2443-2452.
- Senthilkumar, N., Ganapathy, T., and Tamizharasan, T. , “Optimisation of Machining and Geometrical Parameters in Turning Process Using Taguchi Method,” Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering 12(2):233-246, 2014.
- Kumar, P.M., Sivakumar, K., and Jayakumar, N. , “Multiobjective Optimization and Analysis of Copper-Titanium Diboride Electrode in EDM of Monel 400™ Alloy,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 33(13):1429-1437, 2018.