This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Hybrid Polyamide Composites for Replacement of Metallic Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Over the past few decades, the world is looking for a better replacement option for metals. Polymers with reinforcements are finding their way deep inside in most of the engineering applications because of its lightweight and superior properties. The aim of this study is to investigate hybrid polymer composite polyphthalamide (PPA) reinforced with glass fiber and Poly tetra fluro ethylene. The reinforcement was varied as 10, 20, 30wt. % of Glass Fibre, while the fixed quantity of Poly Tetra Fluro Ethylene (PTFE) as 5wt. % was taken for hybrid composites preparation. The virgin and hybrid composite specimen were prepared under optimal process parametric conditions through the use of injection moulding techniques and test samples were produced as per ASTM standards. The response of physical properties such as density and various Mechanical testing like Hardness, Tensile Strength, and impact strength were carried out and noted. Further, the dry sliding tribological tests were carried out at room temperature using pin-on-disc Tribometer apparatus by varying the applied load of 10, 20, 30, 40N and sliding distance of 1000, 2000m parametric condition with this wear rate and coefficient of friction of samples were calculated. By carrying out the above test, it was found that hybrid composite PPA with 30 wt.% of Glass fiber and 5wt. % of PTFE shown better results in comparison with other prepared Virgin and hybrid composites samples. Later in order to suggest the suitability of hybrid composite PPA with 30 wt. % of Glass fiber and 5wt. % of PTFE tested results were compared with LM6 Aluminium alloy and was found that the hybrid polymer composite had closer properties to LM6 in all aspects which were mainly due to the proper bonding between reinforcement materials and fine distribution of load carrying capacity between the reinforcements. Therefore the prepared combination of hybrid polymer composite found to be a replacement for structural casing parts in automobile components.
Citationgopal, S., Kumar K, S., Ranganathan, S., and Soundarrajan, K., "Investigation of Hybrid Polyamide Composites for Replacement of Metallic Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0423, 2020.
- Tsukakoshi, S., Miya, H., and Miyake, M. , “Development of a Plastic Intake Manifold,” SAE Technical Paper 930085, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930085.
- Mukawa, T., Goto, Y., Sekine, N., and Ikeda, Y. , “Development of a Plastic Intake Manifold,” Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers 17:51-57, 1996.
- Guttmann, P., and Pilz, G. , Fibre-Reinforced Polyamides and the Influence of Water Absorption on the Mechanical and Thermomechanical Behaviour (Springer International Publishing, 2017), 377-387.
- Reinicke, R., Haupert, F., and Friedrich, K. , “On the Tribological Behavior of Selected, Injection Moulded Thermoplastic Composites,” Composites Part A 29A:763-771, 1998.
- Ficici, F., Ozen, F., Mustafa, D., and Ayparcasi , “Investigation of the Machinability Behavior of 40% Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyphthalamide Matrix Composite,” in ISITES2015, 1597- 1605.
- Desai, K.C. , “Getting the Most Out of Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) for Under-Hood Applications Using High-Performance Engineering Polymers (HPEP),” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0756, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0756.
- Wu, D.H., Chien, W.T., Yang, C.J., and Yen, Y.T. , “Coupled-Field Analysis of Piezoelectric Beam Actuator Using FEM,” Elsevier Sensors and Actuators A 118:171-176, 2005.
- Nitsch, C., Höhn, B.-R., Stahl, K., Otto, M. et al. , “Prospects of Compound-Gears for e-Mobility Applications,” in Conference on Future Automotive Technology: Focus Electromobility, 2013.
- Mancini, S.D., de Oliveira Santos Neto, A., Cioffi, M.O.H., and Bianchi, E.C. , “Replacement of Metallic Parts for Polymer Composite Materials in Motorcycle Oil Pumps,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 1-12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684416673727.
- Soundararajan, R., Ramesh, A., Sivasankaran, S., and Sathishkumar, A. , “Modeling and Analysis of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (A413) Processed through Squeeze Casting Route Using Artificial Neural Network Model and Statistical Technique,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering 1-16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/714762.
- Suragimath, P.K., and Purohit, G.K. , “A Study on Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (LM6) Reinforced with SiC and Fly Ash,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering 08(05):13-18, 2013.
- Efzan, M.N.E., Syazwani, N.S., and Abdullah, M.M.A.B. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Fly Ash Particulate Reinforced in LM6 for Energy Enhancement in Automotive Applications,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 133, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/133/1/012046.