This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Effect of Pulsed Frequency on Microstructure and Hardness of Alloy C-2000 by Current Pulsing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The objective of the study is to investigate the effect of current pulsation frequency on the weld bead microstructure, segregation and hardness of Hastelloy C-2000 weldments. Bead on Plate (BoP) welds were made by using Pulsed Current Gas Tungsten Arc Welding method (PCGTAW) at eleven different frequencies. The weld bead width and depth of penetration was measured with the help of Dinolite macro analyzer. The microstructure of weldments are further examined through optical microscope and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) to identify the type of grain, grain coarsening and extent of the Heat Affected Zone (HAZ). The grain structure turn into finer and equiaxed in all cases and there was an optimum frequency range over which the significant grain refinement was observed. Microsegregation of alloying elements were computed with the aid of Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy (EDS). Vickers Hardness Tester was used to measure the hardness of the weld samples at ambient conditions. The same optimum frequency range matched with maxima in hardness. The excellent blend of metallurgical characteristics and hardness was realized for the weldments fabricated with 20Hz pulse frequency.
- Balasubramanian Arulmurugan - KPR Institute of Engineering and Technol
- Mathiyazhan Sathish Kumar - Vellore Inst of Technology
- Devarajan Balaji - KPR Institute of Engineering and Technol
- Shankarlal Sathish - KPR Institute of Engineering and Technol
- Sivan Rajkumar - Hawassa University
- Natarajan Arivazhagan - Vellore Inst of Technology
- CD Naiju - Vellore Inst. of Technology
- Manoharan Manikandan - Vellore Inst of Technology
CitationArulmurugan, B., Sathish Kumar, M., Balaji, D., Sathish, S. et al., "Investigation on the Effect of Pulsed Frequency on Microstructure and Hardness of Alloy C-2000 by Current Pulsing," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0420, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0420.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Arulmurugan, B., and Manikandan, M. , “Improvement of Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Gas Tungsten Arc Weldments of Alloy 686 by Current Pulsing,” Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals 71(12):2953-2970, 2018.
- Lippold, J.C., Kiser, S.D., and DuPont, J.N. , Welding Metallurgy and Weldability of Nickel-Base Alloys (John Wiley & Sons, 2011).
- Kumar, T.S., Balasubramanian, V., and Sanavullah, M.Y. , “Influences of Pulsed Current Tungsten Inert Gas Welding Parameters on the Tensile Properties of AA 6061 Aluminium Alloy,” Materials & Design 28(7):2080-2092, 2007.
- Manikandan, M., Arivazhagan, N., Nageswara Rao, M., and Madhusudhan Reddy, G. , “Improvement of Microstructure and Mechanical behavior of Gas Tungsten Arc Weldments of Alloy C-276 by Current Pulsing,” Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English Letters) 28(2):208-215, 2015.
- Arulmurugan, B., and Manikandan, M. , “Development of Welding Technology for Improving the Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of 21st Century Nickel Based Superalloy 686,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 691:126-140, 2017.
- Indira Rani, M., and Marpu, R.N. , “Effect of Pulsed Current TIG Welding Parameters on Mechanical Properties of J-joint Strength of Aa6351,” The International Journal of Engineering and Science (IJES) 1(1):1-5, 2012.
- Suresh, M.V., Vamsi Krishna, B., Venugopal, P., and Prasad Rao, K. , “Effect of Pulse Frequency in Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of Powder Metallurgical Preforms,” Science and Technology of Welding and Joining 9(4):362-368, 2004.
- Becker, D.W., and Adams, C.M. , “The Role of Pulsed GTA Welding Variables in Solidification and Grain Refinement,” Weld. J 58(5), 1979.
- Mohandas, T., and Madhusudan Reddy, G. , “Effect of Frequency of Pulsing in Gas Tungsten Arc Welding on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Titanium Alloy Welds: A Technical Note,” Journal of Materials Science Letters 15(7):626-628, 1996.
- Madhusudhan Reddy, G., Gokhale, A.A., and Rao, K.P. , “Optimisation of Pulse Frequency in Pulsed Current Gas Tungsten Arc Welding of Aluminium-Lithium Alloy Sheets,” Materials Science and Technology 14(1):61-66, 1998.
- Raveendra, A., and Kumar, B.R. , “Experimental Study on Pulsed and Non-Pulsed Current TIG Welding of Stainless Steel sheet (SS304),” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology 2(6):2337-2344, 2013.
- Saedi, H.R., and Unkel, W. , “Arc and Weld Pool Behavior for Pulsed Current GTAW,” Weld. J. 67(11):247, 1988.
- John, A., Johny, K.J., Arulmurugan, B., Rajkumar, S. et al. , “Investigation on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Corrosion Resistance Alloy C-2000 Fabricated by Conventional Arc Welding Technique,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0177, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0177.