This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical Behavior of Glass Fiber Reinforced with Human Hair and Jute
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Reinforced composites are the most widely used type of polymer composites. As in the presence of these reinforcements, the polymer may yield relatively better mechanical properties. Recently, reinforced composites are prepared as a combination of natural and synthetic fibers. Natural fibers are obtained in abundance and also possess properties like unique chemical composition, low density, slow degradation rate, high durability, etc. which makes them suitable to use as a reinforcement material. Also, one of the main reasons for wide research and use is the cost-effectiveness of these sandwiched composite laminates. This paper deals with the comparison of conventional GFRP with sandwich stackings of GFRP with discarded Human Hair and Jute by using Epoxy Resin 6022 and Hardener 4111. Further, the destructive testing of all the samples is performed and the results are compared with GFRP which describes Impact Strength of GFRP-J is increased by 13.53% and density of GFRP-HJ is decreased by 24.2%.
CitationBorkar, N., Dorwat, A., and Kanase-Patil PhD, A., "Mechanical Behavior of Glass Fiber Reinforced with Human Hair and Jute," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0409, 2020.
- Ayyaswamy, J., Sattanathan, S., Ramachandran, B., and Nadarajan, M. , “Banana Stem Based Activated Carbon as Filler in Polymer Composites for Automobile Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0093, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0093.
- Alderliesten, R.C. , “Introduction to Aerospace Structures and Materials,” (TU Delft-EDX Course, 2018), ISBN:978-94-6366-075-4.
- Verma, A., Singh, V.K., Verma, S.K., and Sharma, A. , “Human Hair: A Biodegradable Composite Fiber - A Review,” Int. J. Waste Resour. 6(2):206-209, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4172/2252-5211.1000206.
- Mia, R., Mojumder, A., Islam, A., Ahmad, B. et al. , “Woolenization of Jute Fiber,” 2019, https://www.textiletoday.com.bd/woolenization-of-jute-fibre/.
- Zhang, K., Wang, F., Liang, W., Wang, Z. et al. , “Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Bamboo Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composites,” Polymers 8(6):2018, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/polym10060608.
- Thiruvasagam, C., Harish, R., Tamilarasan, S., Venkatesh, G. et al. , “Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Banana Fiber-Jute-Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyester Composite,” Int. J. of Innovative Research in Sci. Engineering and Tech. 2(7):29-37, 2016.
- Wolfram, L.J. , “Human Hair: A Unique Physicochemical Composite,” J. of the Ameri. Acad. of Dermatology 48(6 suppl):106-114, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1067/mjd.2003.276.
- Thompson, R.M. , “Hair Based Composite,” U.S. Patent US 2010/0178842 A1, July 15, 2010.
- Alizadeh, E., Dehestani, M., Navayi Neya, B., and Nematzadeh, M. , “Efficient Composite Bridge Deck Consisting of GFRP, Steel, and Concrete,” J. of Sandwich Struct. and Materi 21(1):154-174, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11771099636216688347.
- Salman, S.D. , “Partial Replacement of Synthetic Fibres by Natural Fibres in Hybrid Composites and its Effect on Monotonic Properties,” J. of Industrial Textile 0(0):1-19, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1177/1528083719878843.
- Ranganathan, S., Gopal, S., Magudeeswaran, T., and Rangasamy, R. , “Exploration of Dry Sliding Wear Behaviour of Sisal Fiber Reinforced Cashew Nut Shell Liquid and Epoxy Polymer Matrix Composite as an Alternative Friction Material in Automobiles,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0173, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0173.
- Krishnaraj, M., Thirugnana Sambandha, T., Arun, R., and Vaitheeswaran, T. , “Fabrication and Wear Characteristics Basalt Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Matrix Composites,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2570, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2570.
- Rao, R., and Babji, G. , “A Review Paper on Alternate Materials for Asbestos Brake Pads and its Characterization,” Int. Research J. of Engineering and Tech. 2(2):556-562, 2015.
- Portal, N.W., Flansbjer, M., and Mueller, U. , “Analysis of the Flexural Behavior of Textile Reinforced Reactive Powder Concrete Sandwich Elements Using Optical Measurements,” Proceedings 2(8):393-398, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/icem18-05221.
- Ranganathan, S., Kuppuraj, S., Soundarrajan, K., and Perumal, A. , “Design and Analysis of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Connecting Rod Via Stir/Squeeze Casting Route,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0133, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0133.
- ASTM Standards , “D638: Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics,” ASTM International, 2004.
- ASTM Standards , “D256: Standard Test Methods for Determining the Izod Pendulum Impact Resistance of Plastics,” ASTM International, 1987.
- International Standard Organization , “ISO 178: Plastics - Determination of Flexural Properties,” 2010.
- ASTM Standards , “D792 − 13: Standard Test Methods for Density and Specific Gravity (Relative Density) of Plastics by Displacement,” ASTM International 15(3):145-149, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1520/D0792-13.2.
- ASTM International , “D648 − 07: Standard Test Method for Deflection Temperature of Plastics under Flexural Load in the Edgewise Position,” ASTM Standards 08:1-13, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1520/D0648-18.1.
- Mwaikambo, L.Y. , “Tensile Properties of Alkalised Jute Fibres,” BioResources 4(2):566-588, 2009.