This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Studies on Conventional Groove SMA and GMA Welds of Dissimilar 304LN ASS and HSLA Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Dissimilar metal welds (DMWs), between austenitic stainless steel (ASS) and micro alloyed high strength low alloy steel (HSLA), are used in high temperature applications in power stations and petrochemical plants. The gas metal arc welding (GMAW) has surpassed the shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) process due to its advantages of producing fast, long, clean continuous weld at any position [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]. A studies on mechanical and metallurgical properties of conventional V-groove SMAW and GMA Welding of dissimilar 20 mm thick 304LN ASS and micro alloyed HSLA steel plate were carried out by using austenitic E308L- 15 electrode with gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) root pass. The tensile (axial and all-weld) properties, hardness and microstructure of the weld and HAZ are analyzed. It is observed that the GMA welded joints gives comparatively better strength, hardness and microstructure than those of SMA welded joints and it adversely affects the weld pool size and grain coarsening in HAZ adjacent to the fusion line.
CitationGovindasamy, R., "Comparative Studies on Conventional Groove SMA and GMA Welds of Dissimilar 304LN ASS and HSLA Steels," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0405, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0405.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Welding Handbook: Metals and Their Weldability, Section IV (American Welding Society).
- Huang, M.L., and WANG, L. , “Carbon Migration in 5Cr-0.5Mo/21Cr-12Ni Dissimilar Metal Welds,” Metallurgical and Material Transaction A 29A:3037, 1998.
- Lothongkum, G., Chaumbai, P., and Bhandhubanyong, P. , “TIG Pulse welding of 304L Austenitic Stainless Steel in Flat, Vertical and Overhead Positions,” Journal of Material Processing Technology 89-90:410-414, 1999.
- Prasad, S.N. , “Influence of Austenitisation Temperature on the Structure and Properties of High Strength Low Alloys,” Materials Science and Engineering 287-297, Apr. 2003.
- Li, G.F., and Charles, E.A. , “Effect of Post Weld Treatment on Stress Corrosion Cracking of a Low Alloy Steel to Stainless Steel Transition Weld,” Corrosion Science 1963-1983, 2001.
- Reddy, M. , “Weldability of HSLA Steel Using Austenitic Stainless Steel Filler Wires,” Material Processing Technology 23-33, 2000.
- Madhusudhan Reddy, G., Mohandas, T., and Tagore, G.R.N. , “Weldability Studies of High-Strength Low-Alloy Steel Using Austenitic Fillers,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 49:213-228, 1995.
- Rajamurugan, G., and Ghosh, P.K. , “Metallurgical Characteristics on PGMA Welding of Dissimilar 304 Austenitic Stainless Steel and HSLA Steel,” Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities 6(6):277-288, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5958/2249-7315.2016.00396.8.
- Parvathavarthini, N., and Dayal, R.K. , “Influence of Chemical Composition, Prior Deformation and Prolonged Thermal Aging on the Sensitization Characteristics of Austenitic Stainless Steels,” Journal of Nuclear Materials 305:209-219, 2002.
- Shome, M. , “Effect of Heat-Input on Austenite Grain Size in the Heat-Affected Zone of HSLA-100 Steel,” Materials Science and Engineering 454-460, 2007.
- Yu, X., Chen, S., and Wang, L. , “Effect of Solution Treatment Conditions on the Sensitization of Austenitic Stainless Steel,” Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society 74(11):1293-1302, 2009.
- Radaij, D. , Heat Effects on Welding (USA: Springer-Verlag, 1992).
- Rajamurugan, G., and Ghosh, P.K. , “Isotherm Study on Pulse Current GMA Welding of Dissimilar Austenitic Stainless Steel and HSLA Steel,” Asian Journal of Research in Social Sciences and Humanities 6(6):267-276, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5958/2249-7315.2016.00395.6.
- Masubuchi, K. , Analysis of Welded Structures First Edition (New York: Pergamon Press, 1980).
- Rajamurugan, G., Dinesh, D., and Ramakrishnan, A. , “Comparative Study on Grain Size and HAZ width of GMA and PGMA Welds of Dissimilar ASS and HSLA Steel Plates,” International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering Research and Development (IJMPERD) 8(7):1641-1649, 2018.
- Rajamurugan, G., Ghosh, P.K., Prabu, K. et al. , “Dendrite Morphological Analysis on SMA, GMA, and PGMA Welding of Dissimilar 304LN Austenitic Stainless Steel and Micro-alloyed Steel,” Trans Indian Inst Met 73:595-611, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12666-020-01871-6.