This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Couple Field Analysis of Uncoated and Coated Aluminium Metal Matrix Hybrid Composite Piston
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Piston is the most imperative part of an automotive engine in which it exchanges drive due to expanding gas in the cylinder to the crankshaft through the piston rod. During the combustion of fuel charge inside the ignition chamber, high pressure and temperature are developed and the piston is imperiled to high mechanical and thermal stresses. The main objective of the proposed work is to analyse the stress distributions and thermal behaviour of uncoated A356 with 5wt% SiC and 10wt% Fly Ash HMMC piston crown and Plasma sprayed Yttrium Stabilized Zirconia (Y-PSZ) coated A356 with 5wt% SiC and 10wt% Fly Ash HMMC piston crown. A356 with 5wt% SiC and 10wt% Fly Ash HMMC were fabricated via squeeze casting to improve the performance of a petrol engine. A structural model of an HMMC piston crown was made using CREO software and structural and thermal analysis was done using ANSYS. Further coupled field analysis is done to find the stress and temperature distribution on the piston. Output responses of the analysis show a significant decrease in thermal conductivity of an HMMC piston crown coated with Y-PSZ which in turn increases the surface temperature of the piston crown from increased air-fuel mixture temperature. This Y-PSZ Coated A356 with 5wt% SiC and 10wt% Fly Ash HMCC were suggested for fabrication of the piston for automotive applications.
- Sathishkumar Aruchamy - Sri Krishna College of Engg. and Tech.
- Soundararajan Ranganathan - Sri Krishna College of Engg. and Tech.
- Sathish Kumar K - Sri Krishna College of Engg. and Tech.
- Akilesh Ramasamy - Sri Krishna College of Engg. and Tech.
- Gokulkumar Thambusamy - Sri Krishna College of Engg. and Tech.
CitationAruchamy, S., Ranganathan, S., Kumar K, S., Ramasamy, A. et al., "Design and Couple Field Analysis of Uncoated and Coated Aluminium Metal Matrix Hybrid Composite Piston," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0391, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0391.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Joyce, M.R., Styles, C.M., and Reed, P.A.S., “Elevated Temperature Short Crack Fatigue Behavior in near Eutectic Al-Si Alloys,” International Journal of Fatigue 25:863-869, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(03)00157-9.
- Qian, L., Toda, H., Nishido, S., and Kobayashi, T., “Experimental and Numerical Investigations of the Effects of the Spatial Distribution of α Phase on Fracture Behavior in Hypoeutectic Al-Si Alloys,” Acta Materialia 54:4881-4893, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2006.06.036.
- Eswara Prasad, N., Vogt, D., Bidlingmaier, T., Wanner, A. et al., “High Temperature, Low Cycle Fatigue Behavior of an Aluminium Alloy (Al-12Si-CuMgNi),” Materials Science and Engineering A 276:283-287, 2000, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(99)00492-X.
- Moffat, A.J., Barnes, S., Mellor, B.G., and Reed, P.A.S., “The Effect of Silicon on Long Crack Fatigue Behavior of Aluminium-Silicon Piston Alloys at Elevated Temperature,” International Journal of Fatigue 27:1564-1570, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2005.06.023.
- Vencl, A., Bobic, I., Arostegui, S., and Bobic, B., “Structural, Mechanical and Tribological Properties of A356 Aluminium Alloy Reinforced with Al2O3, SiC and SiC + Graphite Particles,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 506:631-639, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2010.07.028.
- Sajjadi, S.A., Ezatpour, H.R., and Beygi, H., “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Al-Al2O3 Micro and Nano Composites Fabricated by Stir Casting,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 528(29-30):8765-8771, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.08.052.
- Sajjadi, S.A., Torabi Parizi, M., Ezatpour, H.R., and Sedghi, A., “Fabrication of A356 Composites Reinforced with Micro and Nano Al2O3 Particles by a Developed Compocasting Method and Study of their Properties,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2011.08.105.
- Mazahery, A., Abdizadeh, H., and Baharvandi, H.R., “Development of High-Performance A356/Nano-Al2O3 Composites,” Material Science and Engineering: A 518:61-64, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2009.04.014.
- Sathishkumar, A., Soundararajan, R., Kaviyarasan, K., Vellingiri, S. et al., “Extensive Review on Properties of Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with Fly Ash,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology (IJMET) 9(9):1219-1231, Sept. 2018.
- Soundararajan, R., Ramesh, A., Sivasankaran, S., and Vignesh, M., “Modeling and Analysis of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (A413) Reinforced with Boron Carbide (B4C) Processed through Squeeze Casting Process Using Artificial Neural Network Model and Statistical Technique,” Materials Today: Proceedings 4:2008-2030, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.02.047.
- Soundararajan, R., Ramesh, A., Sivasankaran, S., and Sathishkumar, A., “Modeling and Analysis of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (A413) Processed through Squeeze Casting Route Using Artificial Neural Network Model and Statistical Technique,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2015, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/714762.
- Ranganathan, S., Kuppuraj, S., Soundarrajan, K., and Perumal, A., “Design and Analysis of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Connecting Rod via Stir/Squeeze Casting Route,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0113, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0113.
- Krishnamani, S., and Mohanraj, T., “Thermal Analysis of Ceramic Coated Aluminum Alloy Piston Using Finite Element Method,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology 9(22):1-5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i22/91338.
- Salman, S., Kose, R., Urtekin, L., and Findik, F., “An Investigation of Different Ceramic Coating Thermal Properties,” Materials & Design 27(7):585-590, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2004.12.010.
- Oner, C., Hanbey, H., and Nurso, M., “Surface Properties of CrN Coated Engine Cylinders,” Materials & Design 30:914-920, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2008.05.018.
- Cerit, M., Ayhan, V., Parlak, A., and Yasar, H., “Thermal Analysis of a Partially Ceramic Coated Piston: Effect on Cold Start HC Emission in a Spark Ignition Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 31:336-341, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.09.015.