This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Topology Optimization of Landing Gear for Additive Manufacturing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In the pioneering sectors of design and development, industries are looking for computer integrated solutions for product development; especially in aerospace industries where the demands for reduction in the development cycles and prototyping iterations. Generative design and topology optimization are the recent tools for achieving the desired design solutions. Topology optimization aims to find an ideal structural configuration within the given design domain with various constraints, objectives, and boundary conditions. In this study, topology optimization is used as a design tool in the development phase of a component. An efficient methodology is developed based on topology optimization for regeneration of a tertiary components. The topology optimization approach used in this research is divided into three main stages: modelling, optimization and regeneration. The first stage, modelling involves CAD modelling of a sub assembly of landing gear, in particular, the slave link assembly. The second stage is the optimization stage which involves FEM analyses on the sub assembly. The FEM analyses are used as the foundations for topology optimization. In the regeneration stage of the process involves the redesigning of components based on the result obtained during the optimization stage. The FEM analyses conducted during the regenerative stage uses the same constraints as in the case of the optimization stage in order to validate the structural functionality of the slave link assembly. The design process used in this study incorporate two redesign approaches. The first approach aims the weight reduction and the second approach aims on structural and aesthetic improvements.
CitationKader Mohideen, F. and Verma, S., "Topology Optimization of Landing Gear for Additive Manufacturing," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0389, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0389.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Besselink, I.J.M. , “Shimmy of Aircraft Main Landing Gears,” PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands, 2000.
- Lernbeiss, R., and Plöchl, M., “Simulation Model of an Aircraft Landing Gear Considering Elastic Properties of the Shock Absorber,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics 221(1):77-86, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1243/1464419JMBD63.
- Krüger, W.R., Besselink, I.J.M., Cowling, D. et al., “Aircraft Landing Gear Dynamics: Simulation and Control,” Vehicle System Dynamics 28:119-158, 1997, https://doi.org/10.1080/00423119708969352.
- Krüger, W. and Morandini, M., “Numerical Simulation of Landing Gear Dynamics: State-of-the-Art and Recent Developments,” in: Conference: Symposium on Limit Cycle Oscillation and Other Amplitude-Limited Self-Excited Vibrations, Norway, 2008, AVT-152: 1-17.
- Krüger, W.R., and Morandini, M., “Recent Developments at the Numerical Simulation of Landing Gear Dynamics,” CEAS Aeronaut J 1:55-68, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13272-011-0003-y.
- Wong, J., Ryan, L., and Kim, I.Y., “Design Optimization of Aircraft Landing Gear Assembly under Dynamic Loading,” Structural Multidisc Optimization 57:1357-1375, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-017-1817-y.
- Robin, L. , “Methodology for Topology and Shape Optimization - Application to a Rear Lower Control Arm,” Master thesis, 2016.
- Zhu, J., Zhang, W., and Xia, L., “Topology Optimization in Aircraft and Aerospace Structures Design,” Archives of Computational Methods in Engineering 23(4):595-622, 2015.
- Bendsoe, M.P., and Sigmund, O., Topology Optimization: Theory, Methods, and Applications. Vol. 2 (2003), 221-724. ISBN:978-3-662-05086-6.
- Choi, W.S., Park, K.B., and Park, G.J., “Calculation of Equivalent Static Loads and Its Application,” Nuclear Eng Design 235(22):2337-2348, 2005.
- Berrocal, L., Fernández, R., González, S. et al., “Topology Optimization and Additive Manufacturing for Aerospace Components,” Prog Additive Manufacturing 4:83-95, 2019.
- Singamneni, S., Yifan, L.V., Hewitt, A., Chalk, R. et al., “Additive Manufacturing for the Aircraft Industry: A Review,” J Aeronaut Aerospace Eng 8:214, 2019.
- Joshi, S.C., and Sheikh, A.A., “3D Printing in Aerospace and Its Long-Term Sustain-Ability,” Virtual Phys. Prototyp. 10(4):111-175, 2015.
- Froes, F., and Boyer, R., editors, Additive Manufacturing for Aerospace Industry First Edition (2019), ISBN:9780128140628.
- JánosPloche, A.P. , “Review on Design and Structural Optimisation in Additive Manufacturing: Towards Next-Generation Lightweight Structures,” Materials & Design 183:108-164, 2019.
- Ji, X., Mirkoohi, E., Ning, J., and Liang, S.Y., Optics and Lasers in Engineering 124:105-805, 2019.