This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Topology Optimization of Aerospace and Automobile Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The advances in computer applications have been increasing in the recent years. The applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the product design software, and the advancements in the Direct Digital Manufacturing (DDM) such as Additive Manufacturing have been leading the aerospace and automobile industries into the next level. AI assisted generative design helps the designers to reduce the weight of the structures without compensating the strength of the structures. The topology optimization is one of the subsets of the generative design which commonly used by the designers to design and redesign many components for weight reduction. This article studies the applications of topology optimization for an aerospace and an automobile components for design modification and weight reduction. The prototype of the optimized components are printed using FDM 3D printing for examining the shape optimization. The stress analyses of the components are analyzed using FEM. The results shows that significant weight reduction is noticed without compensating strength. An aerospace bracket and an automobile gear are taken for the topology optimization studies.
CitationKader Mohideen, F., "A Study on Topology Optimization of Aerospace and Automobile Components," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0388, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0388.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Bendsoe, M.P., and Sigmund, O. , Topology Optimization: Theory, Methods and Applications (Springer Verlag). ISBN:3-540-42992-1.
- Froes, F., and Boyer, R. , editors, Additive Manufacturing for Aerospace Industry First Edition (2019). ISBN:9780128140628.
- Seabra, M., Azevedo, J., Araújo, A., Reis, L. et al. , “Selective Laser Melting (SLM) and Topology Optimization for Lighter Aerospace Components,” Procedia Structural Integrity 1:289-296, 2016, doi:doi.org/10.1016/j.prostr.2016.02.039.
- Rozvany, G.I.N. , “A Critical Review of Established Methods of Structural Topology Optimization,” Struct Multidisc Optimization 37:217-237, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-007-0217-0.
- Ploche, J., and Panesar, A. , “Review on Design and Structural Optimization in Additive Manufacturing: Towards Next-Generation Lightweight Structures,” Materials & Design 183:108-164, 2019.
- Liu, S., Chen, W., Li, Q., and Zhang, Y. , “A Realization Method for Transforming a Topology Optimization Design into Additive Manufacturing Structures,” Engineering 4:277-285, 2018.
- Liu, J., Gaynor, A.T., Chen, S., Kang, Z. et al. , “Current and Future Trends in Topology Optimization for Additive Manufacturing,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 57:2457-2483, 2018.
- Jankovics, D., Gohari, H., Tayefeh, M., and Barari, A. , “Developing Topology Optimization with Additive Manufacturing Constraints in ANSYS,” IFAC Papers OnLine 51(11):1359-1364, 2018.
- Bendsoe, M.P., and Kikuchi, N. , “Generating Optimal Topologies for Structural Design Using a Homogenization Method,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 71:197-224, 1988.
- Kazakisa, G., Kanellopoulosa, I., Sotiropoulosa, S., and Lagarosa, N.D. , “Topology Optimization Aided Structural Design: Interpretation, Computational Aspects and 3D Printing,” Heliyon 3:e00431, 2017.
- Chang, J.W., and Lee, Y.S. , “Topology Optimization of Compressor Bracket,” J Mech Sci Technol 22:1668-1676, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-0428-3.
- Bonori, G., Barbieri, M., and Pellicano, F. , “Optimum Profile Modification of Spur Gears by Means of Genetic Algorithms,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 313(3-5):603-616, 2008.
- Yim, N.H., Kang, S.W., and Kim, Y.Y. , “Topology Optimization of Planar Gear-Linkage Mechanisms,” ASME. J. Mech. Des 141(3):032301, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4042212.
- Swantner, A., and Campbell, M.I. , “Topological and Parametric Optimization of Gear Trains,” Engineering Optimization 44(11):1351-1368, 2012, doi:10.1080/0305215X.2011.646264.
- Hofman, T., Ebbesen, S., and Guzzella, L. , “Topology Optimization for Hybrid Electric Vehicles with Automated Transmissions,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 61(6):2442, 2451, 2012.