This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Air Compressor Intake Valve Body Casing by Metallic Material and Hybrid Polyamide Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
An industrial air compressor is finding a wide range of usage in manufacturing and assembly areas. The intake valve body is one of the major parts in the industrial air compressor which serves numerous functions like regulating the amount of air into the compressor for pressurizing and prevents the backflow of oil. The main intern of our proposed work is to design and conduct Finite Element Analysis (FEA) in air intake valve body casing part with commercially used metallic material of LM6 aluminium alloy and proposed hybrid polymer composite. The proposed polymer material Polyphthalamide (PPA) reinforced with 30wt% glass fiber and 5% Poly tetra fluro ethylene (PTFE) hybrid composites were prepared through the injection moulding route and the obtained tested responses were taken as input data for the further analysis. For this analysis, the bottom housing of the air intake valve body was designed using Solidworks and the developed model was taken for coupled field analysis by using Ansys workbench 18.1. The FEA analysis was carried out in four different operating conditions of an air compressor by changing the pressure and temperature variants for both the materials. The output responses such as total deformation and von-mises stress are taken in each operating condition. The analyzed results show that the hybrid polymer composite will meet the results of the available LM6 aluminium alloy material in each operating condition due to the higher factor of safety because of its better bonding and superior strength. Along with this, the polymer hybrid composites show nearly 55% of the mass reduced when compared with the LM6 aluminium alloy because of its low density. Therefore, the proposed hybrid polymer composite will be recommended for the replacement of the structural casing part in air compressor and automobile component replacements.
CitationKumar K, S., gopal, S., Ranganathan, S., and Aruchamy, S., "Design and Analysis of Air Compressor Intake Valve Body Casing by Metallic Material and Hybrid Polyamide Composite," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0377, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Tsukakoshi, S., Miya, H., and Miyake, M., “Development of a Plastic Intake Manifold,” SAE Technical Paper 930085, 1993, https://doi.org/10.4271/930085.
- Mukawa, T., Goto, Y., Sekine, N., and Ikeda, Y., “Development of a Plastic Intake Manifold,” Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers 1996(17):51-57, 1996.
- Ogorkiewicz, R.M. , “Mechanical Properties of Reinforced Thermoplastics,” Journal of Composites 29-32, 1971.
- Guttmann, P., and Pilz, G., Fibre-Reinforced Polyamides and the Influence of Water Absorption on the Mechanical and Thermomechanical Behaviour (Springer International Publishing, 2017), 377-387.
- Stadler, G., Primetzhofer, A., Pinter, G., and Grun, F., “Investigation of Fiber Orientation and Notch Support of Short Glass Fiber Reinforced Thermoplastics,” International Journal of Fatigue 131(2020):1-8, 2019.
- Reinicke, R., Haupert, F., and Friedrich, K., “On the Tribological Behavior of Selected, Injection Moulded Thermoplastic Composites,” Composites Part A 29A:763-771, 1998.
- Ficici, F., Ayparcasi, Z., and Unal, H., “Influence of Cutting Tool and Conditions on Machinability Aspects of Polyphthalamide (PPA) Matrix Composite Materials with 30% Glass Fiber Reinforced,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-016-9626-9.
- Ficici, F., FaithOZEN, Dundar, M., and Ayparcasi, “Investigation of the Machinability Behavior of %40 Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyphthalamide Matrix Composite,” ISITES 1597-1605, 2015.
- Desai, K.C. , “Getting the Most out of Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) for Under-Hood Applications Using High-Performance Engineering Polymers (HPEP),” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0756, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0756.
- Wu, D.H., Chien, W.T., Yang, C.J., and Yen, Y.T., “Coupled-Field Analysis of Piezoelectric Beam Actuator Using FEM,” Sensors and Actuators A 118:171-176, 2005.
- Kawano, H., Inoue, S., Iwata, M., Yamaguchi, T. et al., “Improvement in the Thermal Elasto-Plastic FEM Model Applied to Exhaust Manifold,” SAE Technical Paper 911771, 1991, https://doi.org/10.4271/911771.
- Nitsch, C., Höhn, B.-R., Stahl, K., Otto, M. et al., “Prospects of Compound-Gears for e-Mobility Applications,” in Conference on Future Automotive Technology: Focus Electromobility, 2013.
- Mancini, S.D., de Oliveira Santos Neto, A.’d., Cioffi, M.O.H.’r., and Bianchi, E.C., “Replacement of Metallic Parts for Polymer Composite Materials in Motorcycle Oil Pumps,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 1-12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684416673727.
- Soundararajan, R., Ramesh, A., Sivasankaran, S., and Sathishkumar. A, “Modeling and Analysis of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (A413) Processed through Squeeze Casting Route Using Artificial Neural Network Model and Statistical Technique,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering 714762: 1-16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/714762.
- Kumar Suragimath, P., and Purohit, G.K., “A Study on Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (LM6) Reinforced with SiC and Fly Ash,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering 08(05):13-18, 2013.
- Efzan, M.N.E., Syazwani, N.S., and Abdullah, M.M.A.B, “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Fly Ash Particulate Reinforced in LM6 for Energy Enhancement in Automotive Applications,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 133, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/133/1/012046.