This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Cost Effective and Light Weight Integrated Engine Cover Cum AirFilter
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 25, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Currently automotive sector is facing bi-fold challenge of light weighting and cost reduction. As end-customer is getting more focused on total cost of ownership, it is need of time that light weighting and cost reduction goes hand in hand. Presently lightweight materials such as magnesium, aluminum & composites are used but often this impact towards cost increase. In present study, a novel approach has been followed which not only focus on light weighting but also integrate design functions of two engine systems.
This paper deals with the new system design to focus on low cost, light weight, NVH friendly and low development time. In design phase, function of two engine systems i.e. engine cover and Air filter were integrated followed by structural analysis. In final phase of this project, the experimental component was developed and validated for its intended function. In this study, current sheet metal design engine cover has been converted in to Thermoplastic cover with integrated Air filter. The complete engine cover with integrated air filter design has been validated at Test bed and Vehicle level for durability, performance, leakages, NVH. At end results were analyzed and compared. Results indicates that new design is a better solution over the existing design. The study demonstrates that this novel approach of light weighting and design function integration can achieve better performance while providing substantial cost saving and weight reduction.
- Nitin Sahebrao Gadhave - Tata Technologies Ltd
- Aashish Bhargava - Tata Technologies Ltd
- Utkarsha Attarde - Tata Technologies Ltd
- Sachin Pajgade - Tata Technologies Ltd
- Nitin Sahebrao Gadhave - Tata Technologies, Ltd.
- Aashish Bhargava - Tata Technologies, Ltd.
- Utkarsha Attarde - Tata Technologies, Ltd.
- Sachin Pajgade - Tata Technologies, Ltd.
CitationGadhave, N., Bhargava, A., Attarde, U., and Pajgade, S., "Development of Cost Effective and Light Weight Integrated Engine Cover Cum AirFilter," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0323, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0323.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
|Unnamed Dataset 9|
- Shah , S. , and Belsus , S.M. Air Intake System Optimization for Acoustic Advantage on Automotive Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1985 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1985
- Patil , A.S. , and Halbe , V.G. A System Approach to Automotive Air Intake System Development SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-011 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-011
- Britto , V.A.J. , Hatti , K.S. , and Sankaranarayana , S. Air Intake System NVH Performance Development for Commercial Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0019 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0019