This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Improvement of Rail AC Assembly by Using CAE and CFD Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The aim of this paper is to analyze Train Driver Cabin AC kit to improve performance of Rail AC unit. First CFD analysis has been carried out on the existing design to find the airflow on the condenser side. Based on the analysis result, design modification has been done to improve the air flow on the condenser side and thereby improving the cooling capacity of the unit. CAE analysis has been carried out to strengthen mount brackets of condenser fan. With the design changes, there is significant improvement found on the structural integrity. Modal frequency improved and dynamic stress been reduced. Based on final modified design, proto was developed, tested and found OK which further verified with CAE/CFD results.CAE analysis has been carried out using ABAQUS/Hypermesh software and CFD using STAR CCM+.
CitationParayil, P., Goel, A., SEN, S., SEN, A. et al., "Performance Improvement of Rail AC Assembly by Using CAE and CFD Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0027, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0027.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Mohammed , N. , Ismail , M.D. , Arther , A. , Arfath , K. , and Moizuddin , U.M.
- Suarez , C. and Iranzo , A.
- MouKalled , F. , Verma , S. , and Darwish , M.
- Manna , S. and Kushwah , Y.S.
- Mathur , G. Performance Enhancement of Mobile Air Conditioning System With Improved Air Management for Front End SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1512 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1512
- Oza , N.V. , Patel , R.I. , and Pathan , S.S.
- Rao 2004
- Ashish , R. Modal Analysis of Single Rectangular Cantilever Plate by Mathematically, FEA and Experimental Journal of Mechanical Vibration in IRJET 04 08
- Talamini , B. , Gordon , J. , and Perlman , A.B. Finite Element Estimation of the Residual Stresses in Roller Straightened Rail Proceedings of the 2004 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress 2004
- Jeong , D.Y. February 2004
- Alajbegovic , A. , Xu , B. , Konstantinov , A. , Amodeo , J. et al. Simulation of Cooling Airflow under Different Driving Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-66 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-66
- Migeot , J.L. , Coyette , J.P. , and Meerbergen , K. Predicting Car Body Dynamics at Higher Frequencies: Challenges and Possible Solutions Proceedings of MSC/NASTRAN Conference 2002
- Liu , G.R. , Nguyen-Thoi , T. , and And Lam , K.Y. An Edge-Based Smoothed Finite Element Method (ES-FEM) for Static, Free and Forced Vibration Analyses of Solids Journal of Sound and Vibration 320 1100 1130 2008
- Francois , N. Using CFD for Heat Exchanger Development and Thermal Management Proceedings of 2nd EACC - 2005 European Automotive CFD Conference