This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Engine Cooling System Performance Using 1-D/3-D Simulation Approach for Engine Transient Cycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The advent of new non-road transient cycle for upcoming off-road emission norms in India requires attention on engine thermal management also. A simulation prediction capability is evaluated assessing engine coolant circuit behavior in 3.3 liter turbocharged engine. The cylinder head and block jackets are modeled in Ricardo Vectis for generating pressure drop and flow distribution study. A complete engine cooling circuit is modeled using Ricardo Ignite software and calibrated with experimental results for steady state as well as transient modes on various engine speeds. Once model calibration is established within acceptable correlation limit of maximum 10% deviation, it is coupled with non-road transient cycle simulated in Ricardo Ignite. The whole drive cycle simulated flow conditions line coolant temperature, flow rate and radiator heat dissipation is compared with experimental measured values. The correlation is also very below acceptable limit. Now pump speed, thermostat opening setting temperature and radiator sizes are parameterized and an optimum combination is finalized which is verified on engine test bed also. The interest of this work is to evaluate the feasibility of this technique on a well-known system in order to gain confidence and expertise for future and ongoing similar engine development programs.
CitationNain, A., Nene, D., and Singh, J., "Assessment of Engine Cooling System Performance Using 1-D/3-D Simulation Approach for Engine Transient Cycle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0012, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0012.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Chometon, F. and Gilliéron, P. , “Assessment of Engine Cooling Performance by Measurement of Cooling Airflow Drag in Aerodynamic Wind Tunnels,” SAE Technical Paper 980428, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980428.
- DG , “Effective Utilization of a System Level Simulation Tool by Proper Selection of an Engine Radiator Using the Validated Empirical cum Analytical Approach,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2185, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2185.
- Cehreli, Z. , “Cooling System Optimization on a 5-Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2600, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-2600.
- Punekar, H. and Das, S. , “Numerical Simulation of Subcooled Nucleate Boiling in Cooling Jacket of IC Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1651, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1651.
- Ghare, P., Khalane, H., Wakhure, U., Khobragade, T. et al. , “Improving Heat Transfer in Single Cylinder DI Engine through Optimization of Coolant Flow Distribution,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1663, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1663.
- Vestrelli, F., Monforte, R., and Fausto, D. , “Secondary Cooling Circuit for Turbocharged Engines: Estimation of the Fuel Consumption Reduction in Real Use According to the LCCP Method,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3066, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-3066.
- Uppuluri, S., Khalane, R., Umbarkar, Y., and Naiknaware, A. , “Cold-Ambient Warm-Up Predictions: A Novel Approach Using 1D Computational Models,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0198, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0198.
- Uppuluri, S.M., Naiknaware, A., and Khalane, H. , “Evaluation of Exhaust Heat Recovery System Effectiveness in Engine Friction Reduction and Fuel Economy Improvement,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0030, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0030.
- Tanaka, K., Arase, K., and Kitayama, A. , “Development of Oil-Cooled Engine for Optimization of Engine Cooling System,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0089, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-32-0089.
- Nain, A. and Nene, D. , “Engine Fuel Economy Optimization for Different Hybrid Architecture Using 1-D Simulation Technique,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2496, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2496.
- John, B.H. , “An Introduction to Internal Combustion Engine”.