This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Investigation of Exhaust Gas Bypass on Trolley Heating
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 18, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Most of the automobile and off-road vehicles leave the 100% exhaust gases to atmosphere. The temperature of the exhaust gas ranges from 350-400 deg C and the exit velocity of the gas is about 40-100 m/s based on the outlet pipe design. Dump trucks are used to transport mud, sticky waste garbage and sometime ice from one place to dump yard. The paper will describe the approach of partially use the exhaust gases for truck trolley by heating the trolley surfaces from the walls. CFD software is used to evaluate the exhaust system pressure drop and bypass exhaust flow rate requirements for effective heating on trolley wall. The simulation also helped to design the appropriate baffle position for optimum pressure drop and recirculation. Conjugate heat transfer CFD analysis is carried out to predict the flow & temperature behavior of the exhaust pipe.
CitationDewangan, N. and anawat, M., "CFD Investigation of Exhaust Gas Bypass on Trolley Heating," SAE Technical Paper 2020-28-0006, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-28-0006.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Durat , M. , Parlak , Z. , Kapsiz , M. , and Parlak , A. CFD and Experimental Analysis on Thermal Performance of Exhaust System of a Spark Ignition Engine J. of Thermal Science and Technology 89 99 2013
- Henein , N.A. and Tagomori , M.K. Cold-Start Hydrocarbon Emissions in Port-Injected Gasoline Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 25 563 593 1999
- Kandylas , I.P. and Stamatelos , A.M. B Engine Exhaust System Design Based on Heat Transfer Computation Energy Conversion & Management 40 1057 1072 1999
- Sorin , A. , Bouloc , F. , Bourouga , B. , and Anthoine , P. Experimental Study of Periodic Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Entrance Zone of an Exhaust Pipe International Journal of Thermal Sciences 47 1665 1675 2008
- Silva , C.M. , Costa , M. , Farias , T.L. , and Santos , H. Evaluation of SI Engine Exhaust Gas Emissions Upstream and Downstream of the Catalytic Converter Energy Conversion and Management 47 2811 2828 2006
- Satishmani , S. and Shridharhari , P. Comparison of Prediction Obtained on an Exhaust Manifold Analysis Using Conformal and Indirect Mapped Interface International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation ( ICCMS) IIT Hydrabad Dec 10-12, 2012
- Pandhare , A. , Lal , A. , and Vanarse , P. CFD Analysis of Flow through Muffler to Select Optimum Muffler Model for Ci Engine International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology (IJLTET) 2014
- Om Ariara Guhan , C.P. , Arthanareeswaren , G. , and Varadarajan , K. CFD Study on Pressure Drop and Uniformity Index of Three Cylinder LCV Exhaust System International Conference on Computational Heat and Mass Transfer-2015
- Ashok Leyland Presents Analysis of Exhaust System Using AcuSolve Altair Technology Conference India 2015