This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SCiNaS: A Smart City-Driven Navigation System to Catch Green Waves
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Driving in modern cities is getting harder and harder due to the continuously changing road and traffic conditions, binding to navigation systems for successful route planning. Despite navigators are becoming more and more powerful and precise in estimating road and traffic conditions, there is still room for improving their effectiveness in route planning. On the other hand, urban areas, thanks to Information and Communication Technologies, are becoming smarter and smarter, enough to be termed as smart cities since they are able to provide advanced smart services, among which mobility ones. The context of this paper is the integration of such two systems and technologies, merging smart navigation solutions and smart city services to obtain value added services improving route planning effectiveness by achieving a trade-off between the two. To this purpose, a smart navigation system that actively interacts with the smart city infrastructure facilities for route planning is developed. The Smart City Navigation System (SCiNaS) thus implemented provides a solution that, starting from the information obtained by the smart city traffic light management system, is able to “catch” a green wave on the planned route just acting on the vehicle speed by directly interacting with its cruise control. A detailed model of a powertrain c-segment car demonstrated that the proposed solution, SCiNaS, is able to improve both the traveled time and the fuel consumption while reducing the gas emissions. An in depth investigation and comparison between the behavior of a car with the Smart City Navigation System and without the navigation system on an NEDC cycle has been performed.
CitationScaffidi, C., Tricomi, G., Di Stefano, S., and puliafito, A., "SCiNaS: A Smart City-Driven Navigation System to Catch Green Waves," SAE Technical Paper 2020-24-0017, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-24-0017.
- Liu , J. , Wan , J. , Wang , Q. et al. A Survey on Position-Based Routing for Vehicular ad hoc Networks Telecommun Syst 62 15 30 2016 10.1007/s11235-015-9979-7
- Obradovic , D. , Lenz , H. , and Schupfner , M. Fusion of Map and Sensor Data in a Modern Car Navigation System J VLSI Sign Process Syst Sign Image Video Technol 45 111 122 2006 10.1007/s11265-006-9775-4
- Royer , E. , Bom , J. , Dhome , M. , Thuilot , B. et al. Outdoor Autonomous Navigation Using Monocular Vision 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems Edmonton, Alberta 2005 1253 1258 10.1109/IROS.2005.1545495
- Benenson , R. , Petti , S. , Fraichard , T. and Parent , M. Integrating Perception and Planning for Autonomous Navigation of Urban Vehicles 2006 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems Beijing 2006 98 104 10.1109/IROS.2006.281806
- Heiskala , M. , Jokinen , J.-P. , and Tinnila , M. Crowdsensing-Based Transportation Services—An Analysis from Business Model and Sustainability Viewpoints Research in Transportation Business & Management 18 38 48 2016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rtbm.2016.03.006
- Gozálvez , J. , Sepulcre , M. , and Bauza , R. IEEE 802.11 p Vehicle to Infrastructure Communications in Urban Environments IEEE Communications Magazine 50 5 176 183 2012 10.1109/MCOM.2012.6194400
- Barba , C.T. , Mateos , M.A. , Soto , P.R. , Mezher , A.M. et al. Smart City for VANETs Using Warning Messages, Traffic Statistics and Intelligent Traffic Lights 2012 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium June 2012 902 907 10.1109/IVS.2012.6232229
- Djahel , S. , Salehie , M. , Tal , I. , and Jamshidi , P. Adaptive Traffic Management for Secure and Efficient Emergency Services in Smart Cities 2013 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (PERCOM Workshops) Mar 2013 340 343 10.1109/PerComW.2013.6529511
- Zhang , Y.J. , Malikopoulos , A.A. , and Cassandras , C.G. Optimal Control and Coordination of Connected and Automated Vehicles at Urban Traffic Intersections 2016 American Control Conference (ACC) July 2016 6227 6232 10.1109/ACC.2016.7526648
- Scaffidi , C. , De Caro , S. , Foti , S. , Scimone , T. et al. Electrically Assisted Internal Combustion Engines: A Comparative Analysis International Journal of Automotive Technology 19 6 1091 1101 2018 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-018-0107-z
- De Caro , S. , Scaffidi , C. , Scimone , T. and Testa , A. Energy Balance Assessment on Vehicles with Electrically Assisted Internal Combustion Engines 2015 International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP) Taormina 2015 786 792 10.1109/ICCEP.2015.7177582