This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Imaging of a Li-Ion Battery for the Estimation of the Thermal Parameters and Instantaneous Heat Dissipated
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The electrochemical performance of a lithium-ion battery is strongly affected by the temperature. During charge and discharge cycles, batteries are subjected to an increment of temperature that can accelerate aging and loss of efficiency if critical values are reached. Knowing the thermal parameters that affect the heat exchange between the battery surface and the surrounding environment (air, cooling fins, plates, etc…) is fundamental to their thermal management. In this work, thermal imaging is applied to a laminated lithium-polymers battery as a non-invasive temperature-indication method. Measurements are taken during the discharge phase and the following cooling down until the battery reaches the ambient temperature. The 2d images are used to analyze the homogeneity of the temperature distribution on the battery surface. Then, experimental results are coupled with mathematical correlations. The derivation of the instantaneous heat generated in the battery and Newton’s cooling law in transient conditions are used to estimate two main thermal parameters, as the convective heat transfer coefficient and the specific heat capacity, and then to calculate the heat generated by the battery. The experimentally-based derivation of the above-mentioned thermal parameters will be useful in advanced thermal models for the design of batteries and battery cooling systems.
CitationSequino, L. and Vaglieco, B., "Thermal Imaging of a Li-Ion Battery for the Estimation of the Thermal Parameters and Instantaneous Heat Dissipated," SAE Technical Paper 2020-24-0014, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-24-0014.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- de Rubens, G.Z., Noel, L., Kester, J., and Sovacool, B.K. , “The Market Case for Electric Mobility: Investigating Electric Vehicle Business Models for Mass Adoption,” Energy 194:116841, 2020.
- Zhuang, W., Li, S., Zhang, X., Kum, D. et al. , “A Survey of Powertrain Configuration Studies on Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Applied Energy 262:114553, 2020.
- Hekmat, S., and Molaeimanesh, G. , “Hybrid Thermal Management of a Li-Ion Battery Module with Phase change Material and Cooling Water Pipes: An Experimental Investigation,” Applied Thermal Engineering 166:114759, 2020.
- Kim, J., Oh, J., and Lee, H. , “Review on Battery Thermal Management System for Electric Vehicles,” Applied Thermal Engineering 149:192-212, 2019.
- Wu, W., Wang, S., Wu, W., Chen, K. et al. , “A Critical Review of Battery Thermal Performance and Liquid Based Battery Thermal Management,” Energy Conversion and Management 182:262-281, 2019.
- Scrosati, B., Garche, J., and Tillmetz, W. , Advances in Battery Technologies for Electric Vehicles (Woodhead Publishing, 2015).
- Kim, H.-J., Lee, J.-H., Baek, D.-H., and Lee, J.-K. , “A Study on Thermal Performance of Batteries Using Thermal Imaging and Infrared Radiation,” Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 45:360-365, 2017.
- Li, K., Wu, Y., Wang, J., and Wang, S. , “Experimental Study on Thermal Characteristics and Temperature Distribution of Laminated Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Energy Procedia 142:3338-3343, 2017.
- Rani, M., Razlan, Z., Shahriman, A., Ibrahim, Z. et al. , “Comparative Study of Surface Temperature of Lithium-Ion Polymer Cells at Different Discharging Rates by Infrared Thermography and Thermocouple,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 153:119595, 2020.
- Wang, S., Li, K., Tian, Y., Wang, J. et al. , “An Experimental and Numerical Examination on the Thermal Inertia of a Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Power Battery,” Applied Thermal Engineering 154:676-685, 2019.
- Improved Thermal Performance of a Large Laminated Lithium-Ion Power Battery by Reciprocating Air Flow,” Applied Thermal Engineering 152:445-454, 2019.
- Wu, Y., Li, K., Wang, J., Ji, S. et al. , “Experimental Study and Numerical Modeling on Cylindrical Lithium-Ion Power Battery Thermal Inertia,” Energy Procedia 158:4396-4401, 2019.
- Jiang, G., Zhuang, L., Hu, Q., Liu, Z. et al. , “An Investigation of Heat Transfer and Capacity Fade in a Prismatic Li-Ion Battery Based on an Electrochemical-Thermal Coupling Model,” Applied Thermal Engineering 171:115080, 2020.
- Zhang, J., Wu, B., Li, Z., and Huang, J. , “Simultaneous Estimation of Thermal Parameters for Large-Format Laminated Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 259:106-116, 2014.
- Zhang, X., Klein, R., Subbaraman, A., Chumakov, S. et al. , “Evaluation of Convective Heat Transfer Coefficient and Specific Heat Capacity of a Lithium-Ion Battery Using Infrared Camera and Lumped Capacitance Method,” Journal of Power Sources 412:552-558, 2019.
- Sheng, L., Su, L., and Zhang, H. , “Experimental Determination on Thermal Parameters of Prismatic Lithium Ion Battery Cells,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 139:231-239, 2019.
- Huang, R., Li, Z., Hong, W., Wu, Q. et al. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of PCM Thermophysical Parameters on Lithium-Ion Battery Thermal Management,” Energy Reports, 2019.
- Ruan, H., Jiang, J., Sun, B., Gao, W. et al. , “Online Estimation of Thermal Parameters Based on a Reduced Wide-Temperature-Range Electro-Thermal Coupled Model for Lithium-Ion Batteries,” Journal of Power Sources 396:715-724, 2018.
- Kim, U.S., Yi, J., Shin, C.B., Han, T. et al. , “Modelling the Thermal Behaviour of a Lithium-Ion Battery during Charge,” Journal of Power Sources 196(11):5115-5121, 2011.
- Christensen, J., Cook, D., and Albertus, P. , “An Efficient Parallelizable 3d Thermoelectrochemical Model of a Li-Ion Cell,” Journal of The Electrochemical Society 160(11):A2258-A2267, 2013.
- Sequino, L., and Vaglieco, B.M. , “Infrared Diagnostics of a Li-Polymer Battery for the Estimation of the Surface Temperature Distribution and the Heat Transfer Parameters,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2026, 2020.