This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Single-Stage Reduction Gear System for Radio-Controlled Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Reduction gears are very commonly used in the automotive and aviation industries. A propeller’s efficiency decreases rapidly as the speed of the blade tips nears the speed of sound. An engine reduction gear enables the engine to develop more torque while reducing the propeller’s revolutions per minute (RPM). This prevents the propeller’s efficiency from decreasing. This work deals with a detailed methodology for the design and analysis of a single-stage reduction gear. Custom pinion and wheel were modelled along with the engine assembly. A custom mount was designed and fabricated to allow for engine-reduction gear system integration. In this work, a 7.5 cubic centimeter (cc) single-cylinder glow engine is used. Bending and contact stress analysis was performed, and the results were compared with the calculated stress values. The torque demands were analyzed for propellers of different sizes at varying aircraft speeds. Quantitative analysis of thrust is also carried out before and after using the reduction gear system. Attaining this reduction gear system at this small scale is an accomplishment, and the results obtained reveal that the system achieved better torque, resulting in greater lifting capacity without altering the aircraft speed, which is desirable.
CitationMaulik, S., Kurdekar, C., Goenka, R., and Thomas, B., "Design and Analysis of Single-Stage Reduction Gear System for Radio-Controlled Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-6004, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-6004.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Akhila, K., and Reddy, M.A. , “Design, Modelling and Analysis of a 3 Stage Epicyclic Planetary Reduction Gear Unit of a Flight Vehicle,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research 3(4):9, 2014.
- Lemanski, A. , “Gear Design,” SAE Technical Paper 680381, 1968, https://doi.org/10.4271/680381.
- Reece, C. , “An Approach to the Design of Spur and Helical Gears,” SAE Technical Paper 881293, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/881293.
- Piancastelli, L., and Cassani, S. , “Power Speed Reduction Units for General Aviation Part 3: Simplified Gear Design Piston-Powered, Propeller-Driven General Aviation Aircrafts,” ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 12(3):869-874, 2017.
- Höhn, B.-R., Michaelis, K., and Hinterstoißer, M. , “Optimization of Gearbox Efficiency,” GOMABN 48(4):441-480, 2009.
- De Castro, R., and de Souza, G. , “Criteria of Helical Gear Design Applied in Automotive Gearboxes,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3403, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3403.
- Shastri, D., Ramamurthy, S., and Parab, P. , “Strategies for Automobile Gear Material Selection,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-28-0055, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-28-0055.
- Vijayarangan, N.G. , “A Static Analysis of Composite Helical Gears Using a Three-Dimensional Finite Element Methods,” Computers & Structures 49(2):253-268, 1993, https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(93)90106-N.
- Rossino, L.S., de Castro, D.B.V., Moreto, J.A., Ruchert, C.O.F.T. et al. , “Surface Contact Fatigue Failure of a Case Hardened Pinion Shaft,” Materials Research 17(3):535-541, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-14392014005000063.
- Shabalinskaya, L.A., Golovanov, V.V., Bubnova, E.S., Melnikov, A.O. et al. , “Tribodiagnostics of Aviation Reduction Gears According to the Stages of the Surface Fatigue Wear for Its Units,” Journal of Friction and Wear 38(4):297-301, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3103/S1068366617040122.
- Kelley, B.W., and Pedersen, R. , “The Beam Strength of Modern Gear-Tooth Design,” SAE Trans. 66:137-157, 1958, https://doi.org/10.4271/580017.
- Velex, P., and Cahouet, V. , “Experimental and Numerical Investigations on the Influence of Tooth Friction in Spur and Helical Gear Dynamics,” J. Mech. Des 122(4):515-522, 2000, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1320821.
- Kubur, M.M., Kahraman, A.A., Zini, D.M., and Kienzle, K.K. , “Dynamic Analysis of a Multi-Shaft Helical Gear Transmission by Finite Elements: Model and Experiment,” ASME J. Vib. Acoust. 26(3):398-406, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1760561.
- Cooley, C.G., Parker, R., and Vijayakar, S. , “A Frequency Domain Finite Element Approach for Three-Dimensional Gear Dynamics,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 133(4):041004, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1115/DETC2009-87525.
- Deshpande, L., Sawalhi, N., and Randall, R.B. , “Gearbox Fault Simulation Using Finite Element Model Reduction Technique,” Journal of Physics Conference Series 364:1-11, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/364/1/012082.
- Jyothirmai, S., Ramesh, R., Swarnalatha, T., and Renuka, D. , “A Finite Element Approach to Bending, Contact and Fatigue Stress Distribution in Helical Gear Systems,” Procedia Materials Science, 3rd International Conference on Materials Processing and Characterisation 6:907-918, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.159.
- Li, M., Xie, L., and Ding, L. , “Load Sharing Analysis and Reliability Prediction for Planetary Gear Train of Helicopter,” Mechanism and Machine Theory 115:97-113, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2017.05.001.
- Combet, F., Martin, N., Jaussaud, P., and Léonard, F. , “Detection of A Gear Coupling Misalignment in a Gear Testing Device, in Eleventh International Congress on Sound and Vibration, ICSV11, St Petersburg, Russia, July 2004.
- Dewangan, Y., Nair, P., and Nair, D. , “Gear System Parameters and Its Influence on Gearbox Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1562, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1562.
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, PSG College of Technology , Design Data - Data Book of Engineers (Coimbatore: Kalaikathir Achchagam, July 2017). ISBN:978-81-927355-0-4.
- Bommisetty, V.S.N.K. , “Finite Element Analysis of Spur Gear Set,” ETD Archive Paper 630, 2012.