This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Enhancement of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Guidelines for Effective Application in Aerospace Part and Process Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 16, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
An aircraft’s detail part and assembly product design and development phase contribute to about three-fourths of the total cost spent in its entire product life cycle and determine the fate of the aircraft’s life as a whole. Each aerospace design organization presently has developed their own set of design rules, focusing on improving product design capability by enhancing the determined “Design for X” factor, with the focus on continual optimization and improvements. However there is huge variation among these design principles due to the nonstandardization of these design guidelines. To meet this gap, the use of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA®) principles applicable for aerospace has to be developed. DFMA®) principles have been proven effective as guidelines to designers and manufacturing engineers in various discrete manufacturing and process industries. The use of DFMA® principles have resulted in proactively simplifying designs with reduced product costs and improved efficiencies in product design. Aerospace Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) industries are highly oligopolistic in nature, and their designs are widely reliant on the specific intellectual knowledge gained by designers through years of trainings and experiences. Standardization and optimization of manufacturing processes of “Build-To-Print” organizations had recently started to increase, due to the continual efforts of the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) and its sector members aiming to improve their global supply chain performance. However, standardizing design methodologies, through the use of proven tools like Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), are still in the initial stages. Thus, there is a tremendous opportunity for research on the application of the existing DFMA® guidelines to aerospace part and process designs, aiming to simplify and standardize design methodologies by building on existing industry practices which have a common platform for design communication and which are easy to adopt within the existing process/systems. This technical paper presents the findings and learnings from the research presently carried that focuses on the application of the existing DFMA® guidelines specifically to aerospace part and process designs. The aerospace ADFMA concept is also proposed to focus on the application of the existing DFMA® guidelines to aerospace part and process designs, which can be used as a reference for aerospace designers for future and current designs.
CitationRajamani, M. and Punna, E., "Enhancement of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Guidelines for Effective Application in Aerospace Part and Process Design," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-6001, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Roskam, J. , Airplane Cost Estimation: Design, Development, Manufacturing and Operating (Lawrence, KS: DARcorporation, 2006).
- Boothroyd, G. , “Design for Manufacture and Assembly: The Boothroyd-Dewhurst Experience,” In: Huang G.Q. , editor. Design for X. (Dordrecht, Springer, 1996).
- Anderson, D.M. , Design for Manufacturability & Concurrent Engineering: How to Design for Low Cost, Design in High Quality, Design for Lean Manufacture, and Design Quickly for Fast Production (Cambria, CA: CIM Press, 2004).
- Matousek, R., Burton, A.H., and Johnson, D.C. , Engineering Design a Systematic Approach (London: Blackie & Son Limited, 1974).
- Peck, H. , Designing for Manufacture: Topics in Engineering Design (London: Pitman, 1973).
- Blockley, R. and Shyy, W. , Aircraft Design for Manufacture and Assembly - Encyclopedia of Aerospace Engineering (Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley, 2010).
- Boothroyd, G., Dewhurst, P., and Knight, W.A. , Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly (Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2013).
- Poli, C. , Design for Manufacturing a Structured Approach (Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, 2001).
- Bralla, J.G. , Design for Manufacturing (Dearborn, MI: Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2010).
- Aerospace Manufacturing and Design, “Engineering Value with DFMA®,” http://www.aerospacemanufacturinganddesign.com/article/aerospace-boothroyd-dewhurst-DFMA®-engineering-042213/, accessed Sep. 2019.
- Aerospace Manufacturing and Design, “Highlights of 2011 DFMA® Forum Forum,” http://www.aerospacemanufacturinganddesign.com/article/aerospace-energy-manufacturing-design-DFMA®-amd-tes-071811/, accessed Sep. 2019.
- Schwarz, K.A. , “The Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Analysis and Redesign of an Aircraft Refueling Door Hinge Utilizing Additive Manufacturing,” 2015.
- DFMA® Boothroyd Dewhurst, Inc., “Design for Opportunity with DFA,” http://www.dfma.com/resources/mdssciex.asp, accessed Jun. 2019.
- DFMA® Boothroyd Dewhurst, Inc., “Look! Up in the Sky! 27% Fewer Parts!! 51% Cheaper!!!,” http://www.dfma.com/resources/embry.asp, accessed Sep. 2019.
- DFMA® Boothroyd Dewhurst, Inc., “Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Application on the Design of the Ah64d Helicopter,” http://www.dfma.com/resources/herrera.aspx, accessed Aug. 2019.
- DFMA® Boothroyd Dewhurst, Inc., “Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Application on the Design of the Ah64d Helicopter,” http://design-iv.com/boeing.html, accessed Jul. 2019.
- Barbosa, G.F. and Carvalho, J. , “Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Methodology Applied to Aircrafts Design and Manufacturing,” IFAC Proceedings 46(7):116-121, 2013.
- Selvaraj, P., Radhakrishnan, P., and Adithan, M. , “An Integrated Approach to Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Based on Reduction of Product Development Time and Cost,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 42(1-2):13-29, 2009.
- Azamatov, A., Lee, J.-W., and Byun, Y.-H. , “Comprehensive Aircraft Configuration Design tool for Integrated Product and Process Development,” Journal Advances in Engineering Software 42(1-2):35-49, 2011.
- Birch, A., Hon, K.K.B., and Short, T.D. , “Performance Evaluation of DFE Tools,” IET Conference Publications 2010(565 CP):51-56, 2010.
- Bralla, J.G. , Design for eXcellence (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1996).
- Chao, P.Y. and Chen, T.T. , “Analysis of Assembly through Product Configuration,” Journal: Computers in Industry 44(2):189-203, 2001.
- Curran, R., Raghunathan, S., and Price, M. , “Review of Aerospace Engineering Cost Modelling: The Genetic Causal Approach,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 40(8):487-534, 2004.
- Hatcher, G.D., Ijomah, W.L., and Windmill, J.F.C. , “Design for Remanufacture: A Literature Review and Future Research Needs,” Journal of Cleaner Production 19(17-18):2004-2014, 2011.
- Howard, L. and Lewis, H. , “The Development of a Database System to Optimize Manufacturing Processes during Design,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 134(3):374-382, 2003.
- Ibusuki, U. and Kaminski, P.C. , “Product Development Process with Focus on Value Engineering and Target-Costing: A Case Study in an Automotive Company,” International Journal of Production Economics 105(2):459-474, 2007.
- Lohtander, M., Eskelinen, H., and Varis, J. , “Review of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly Aspects to Designing Modern Micro-wave and Sheet Metal Products,” Key Engineering Materials 486:9-12, 2011.
- Meerkamm, H. , “Design for X-A Core Area of Design Methodology,” Journal of Engineering Design 5(2):165-181, 1994.
- Saaey, M.H. , Aircraft Design: A Systems Engineering Approach (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2013).
- Sahmrani, N. and Harik, R.F. , “DFMA+, a Quantitative DFMA Methodology,” Computer-Aided Design and Applications 7(5):701-709, 2010.
- Petit, R.G., Wang, J.J., and Toh, C. , Validated Feasibility Study of Integrally Stiffened Metallic Fuselage Panels for Reducing Manufacturing Costs (Hampton, VA: NASA Langley Research Center, 2000).
- Tavares, S.M.O. , “Design and Advanced Manufacturing of Aircraft Structures Using Friction Stir Welding,” Dissertation submitted to Faculty of Engineering, University of Porto, 2011.
- Groover, M.P. , Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing: Materials, Processes, and Systems (Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2020).
- Rajamani, M.R. and Punna, E. , “A Study on the Development of an Effective Framework for Implementation and Sustenance of an Obsolescence Material Management System in an Aerospace Supplier Manufacturing Industry Environment,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0145 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0145.
- Rajamani, M.R. , “An Effective and Efficient Audit Method for Shelf-Life Material Management System,” IN Patent, 17/2019, Apr. 26, 2019.
- Rajamani, M.R. , “A Study on Mitigating Head Gap Defects due to Radius of Externally Threaded Fasteners in Aerostructures Assembly,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-6004 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-6004.
- Rajamani, M.R. and Punna, E. , “A Framework for Effective Implementation of Process Failure Modes and Effects Analysis with Control Plans to Mitigate Process, Discrete Manufacturing and Service Industries, Using Aerospace Standard Best Practices,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0149 , 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0149.
- Rajamani, M.R. and Punna, E. , “A Study on the Development of Aerostructures Design for Assembly guidelines and Their Effective Use to Proactively Identify Opportunities for Improvement in Mitigating Common Defects of the Aerostructures Assembly.” SAE Aerotech Americas 2020 Technical Paper, 2020-01-0009, 2020.
- Rajamani, M.R. and Punna, E. , “Applying the Concept of Selective Fit Assembly for Effective Variation Management in Aerospace Engine Component Assemblies,” SAE International Journal of Aerospace, JAERO-2019-0028, 2020.
- Rajamani, M.R. and Punna, E. , “A Study on the Application of Engineering Tolerance Analysis, Variation Sensitivity Analysis Management and Their Effect on Establishing, Improving Aerospace Parts and Systems Reliability Management,” presented at 34th Indian Engineering Congress 2019, The Institution of Engineers (India), Hyderabad, India, Dec. 27-29, 2019, Technical Volume ISBN 978-81-942561-5-1.