This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Fuel Cell Test Platform with Impedance Measurement System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As energy and environmental issues become more and more severe, fuel cell vehicles have received widespread attention due to their high efficiency (generally more than 50%) and environmental friendliness. However, durability, reliability, cost, and other issues still restrict the commercialization of fuel cells, which need to be solved through research. The fuel cell test platform is the basis for in-depth research on the reaction mechanism, dynamic model, system design, manufacturing, control, and optimization algorithms of fuel cell power generation systems. In the research process, water management is one of the crucial factors regarding the performance and durability of low temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell. Nevertheless, the existing test platforms lack integrated fault diagnosis tools to identify flooding and drying of the fuel cell, which leads to the need for additional equipment when conducting water management research. Thus, in this work, a test platform for 2 kW low temperature proton exchange membrane fuel cell stack is designed with an impedance measurement system for fault diagnosis. In addition, because of the significance of water content inside the stack, a highly dynamic and high-precision humidification system is also needed. Therefore, the hardware and software of the experimental platform are designed respectively, especially the humidification system and the impedance measurement system. Besides that, the gas supply system, exhaust system, and thermal management system are also included. Finally, the test platform is tested in some experiments. The results prove that the software and hardware design is feasible and the function can meet the requirements for rapidity and accuracy.
CitationMa, T., Song, K., Lin, W., Zhang, Z. et al., "Development of Fuel Cell Test Platform with Impedance Measurement System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5235, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5235.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Wang, H., Gaillard, A., and Hissel, D. , “A Review of DC/DC Converter-Based Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy for Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles,” Renewable Energy 141:124-138, 2019.
- Anderson, R., Zhang, L., Ding, Y., Blanco, M. et al. , “A Critical Review of Two-Phase Flow in Gas Flow Channels of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” J. Power Sources 195(15):4531-4553, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.jpowso ur.2009.12.123.
- Hu, G., Fan, J., Chen, S., Liu, Y. et al. , “Three-Dimensional Numerical Analysis of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFCS) with Conventional and Interdigitated Flow Fields,” J. Power Sources 136(1):1-9, 2004, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.05.010.
- Gittleman, C., Jorgensen S, D.M., Waldecker, J., Hirano, S. et al. , “Automotive Fuel Cell R&D Needs,” in DOE Fuel Cell Pre-Solicitation Workshop, Department of Energy, Lakewood, CO, 2010.
- Zhiani, M., Majidi, S., Silva, V.B., and Gharibi, H. , “Comparison of the Performance and EIS (Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy) Response of an Activated PEMFC (Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell) under Low and High Thermal and Pressure Stresses,” Energy 97:560-567, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.12.058.
- Kumagai, M., Myung, S.-T., Ichikawa, T., and Yashiro, H. , “Evaluation of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy under Different Operation Conditions and Corrosion,” Journal of Power Sources 195(17):5501-5507, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.03.070.
- Alo, O.A., Otunniyi, I.O., Pienaar, H.C., and Iyuke, S.E. , “Materials for Bipolar Plates in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell: Performance Criteria and Current Benchmarks,” Procedia Manufacturing 7:395-401, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2016.12.011.
- Haile, S.M. , “Fuel Cell Materials and Components. The Golden Jubilee Issue Selected Topics in Materials Science and Engineering: Past, Present and Future, Edited by S. Suresh,” Acta Materialia 51(19):5981-6000, 2003, doi:10.1016/j.actamat.2003.08.004.
- Wang, Y., Ruiz Diaz, D.F., Chen, K.S., Wang, Z. et al. , “Materials, Technological Status, and Fundamentals of PEM Fuel Cells - A Review,” Materials Today 32:178-203, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.mattod.2019.06.005.
- Rosli, R.E., Sulong, A.B., Daud, W. et al. , “The Design and Development of an HT-PEMFC Test Cell and Test Station,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44(58):30763-30771, 2019.
- Bao, C., Zhang, K., Ouyang, M., Yi, B. et al. , “Dynamic Test and Real-Time Control Platform of Anode Recirculation for PEM Fuel Cell Systems,” Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology 3(3):333-345, 2006.
- Bégot, S., Harel, F., and Kauffmann, J.M. , “Design and Validation of a 2 kW-Fuel Cell Test Bench for Subfreezing Studies,” Fuel Cells 8(1):23-32, 2008.
- Benmouna, A., Becherif, M., Depernet, D., Gustin, F. et al. , “Fault Diagnosis Methods for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell System,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 42(2):1534-1543, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2016.07.181.
- Kuhn, R., Krüger, P., Kleinau, S. et al. , “Dynamic Fuel Cell Gas Humidification System,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37(9):7702-7709, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.01.143.
- Tavakoli, B., and Roshandel, R. , “The Effect of Fuel Cell Operational Conditions on the Water Content Distribution in the Polymer Electrolyte Membrane,” Renew Energy 36(12):3319-3331, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2011.05.003.
- Yang, X.G., Ye, Q., and Cheng, P. , “In-Plane Transport Effects on Hydrogen Depletion and Carbon Corrosion Induced by Anode Flooding in Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells,” Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 55(17-18):4754-4765, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.ijheat masstransfer.2012.04.040.
- Kandlikar, S.G., Garofalo, M.L., and Lu, Z. , “Water Management in A PEMFC: Water Transport Mechanism and Material Degradation in Gas Diffusion Layers,” Fuel Cells 11(6):814-823, 2011, doi:10.1002/fuce.201000172.
- Riascos, L.A.M. , “Relative Humidity Control in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells without Extra Humidification,” J. Power Sources 184(1):204-211, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsou r. 2008.06.032.
- Fouquet, N., Doulet, C., Nouillant, C., Dauphin-Tanguy, G. et al. , “Model Based PEM Fuel Cell State-of-Health Monitoring via AC Impedance Measurements,” Journal of Power Sources 159(2):905-913, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.11.035.
- Zhou, S., Zhou, S., Jin, J., and Wen, Z. , “Online Flooding and Dehydration Diagnosis for PEM Fuel Cell Stacks via Generalized Residual Multiple Model Adaptive Estimation-Based Methodology,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 1(2):787-794, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0373.