This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Research on the Applicability of Automated Driving Vehicle on the Expressway System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 3rd International Forum on Connected Automated Vehicle Highway System through the China Highway & Transportation Society
Nowadays, transportation issues have been increasingly serious, and countries all over the world are actively exploring effective solutions. Intelligent highway and AV vehicle (AV) are considered to be the most effective ways to solve these problems. However, the dynamic uncertainty of driving environment factors is one of the key elements affecting vehicle driving safety, especially for AV, as well as traffic efficiency. The AV field has achieved fruitful results for this problem, but most of them focus on the identification of vehicle dynamics and visualization of roadside facilities. However, the feasibility and applicability of AV on the expressway system have not been tested in China. This paper summarized the development status and trend of AV and the difficulties and challenges of AV test on the expressway. Proposed test scenario of AV on the expressway, and on this basis, carried out a test and studied the adaptability of AV on the expressway. Finally, suggestions for both expressway agency and AV technology developers were provided according to the test results. The research results analyzed the environment and conditions required for automated vehicles to operate on the expressway system, which is not only conducive to promoting the development of automated driving technology and reducing the risks brought by the application of automated driving technology but also conducive to improving the support capability of the expressway for automated driving. At the same time, it will promote the upgrading and transformation of China’s highway, improve the management and operation level of smart highway, and provide a strong guarantee for promoting the overall development of China’s automated driving.
- Jian Gao - Ministry of Transport Research Institute of Highways, China
- Weixi Yan - Ministry of Transport Research Institute of Highways, China
- Sheng Yin - Ministry of Transport Research Institute of Highways, China
- Daxin Tian - Ministry of Transport Research Institute of Highways, China
- Liang Xing - Ministry of Transport Research Institute of Highways, China
CitationGao, J., Yan, W., Yin, S., Tian, D. et al., "Research on the Applicability of Automated Driving Vehicle on the Expressway System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5205, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5205.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Beijing Intelligent Vehicle Federation Industry Innovation Center 2019
- Zhao , S. , Xu , N. , and Chen , Q. Characteristics and Enlightenment of Road Test Management of Autonomous Vehicles in California Science and Technology Management Research 4 220 225 2020
- Stern , R.E. , Chen , Y. , Churchill , M. et al.
- Quality Benefits Resulting from Few Autonomous Vehicles Stabilizing Traffic Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 67 351 365 2019
- Nees , M.A. Safer than the Average Human Driver (Who Is Less Safe Than Me)? Examining a Popular Safety Benchmark for Self-Driving Cars Journal of Safety Research 69 61 68 2019
- Jacobo , A.-M. , Nobuyuki , U. , Kunio , Y. , Koichiro , O. et al.
- China-SAE Technology Roadmap for Energy Saving and New Energy Vehicles Beijing Mechanical Industry Press 2016
- Gay , K. 2014 http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/events/2014/Joint_BELGIUM-UNECE_ITS/02_ITS_Nov2014_Kevin_Gay_US_DOT.pdf
- Zhang , D. , Xiao , Q. , Lu , M. et al. Driver Specific ACC Speed Profile for Curved Roads FISITA 2010 Budapest, Hungary 2010
- Hautiere , N. and Aubert , D. Driving Assistance: Automatic Fog Detection and Measure of the Visibility Distance ITS World Congress 2003 234 241
- Li , S. , Li , K. , and Wang , J. Economy Oriented Vehicle Adaptive Cruise Control with Coordinating Multiple Objectives Function Vehi Syst Dyna 51 1 1 17 2013
- Dai , Y. and He , C. How to Make the Automated Vehicle Drive Safely China Automotive News 2016
- NHTSA 2017
- California Department of Motor Vehicles 2019
- Li , G. , Li , S. , and Cheng , B. Field Operational Tests of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems in Chinese Typical Road Conditions: The Influence of Driver Gender, Age and Aggression Int’l J’ Automotive Tech 16 5 739 750 2015