This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Road Adaptive Anti-Slip Regulator for a Distributed Drive Electric Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Anti-slip regulator (ASR) is one of the most important research focuses in the field of vehicle active safety. An ASR for a distributed drive electric vehicle (DDEV) driven by four in-wheel motors is proposed in this paper, where a tire-road friction coefficient estimator and a road slope estimator are included making the ASR adaptive to road changes. The tire-road friction coefficient estimator is adopted to estimate road condition using improved Burckhardt model, so the optimal reference slip ratio is selected according to the estimated road adhesion coefficient for the maximum driving efficiency and the realization of adaptive anti-slip regulation. At the same time, the road slope is estimated using recursive least square with forgetting factor and the longitudinal acceleration sensor information is calibrated by the road slope estimation for slope adaptive velocity estimation. Because there is no driven wheel in such a DDEV, estimators for small and large slip ratios based on dynamic and kinematic methods are designed respectively, which can switch according to wheel slip conditions. The slip ratio controller in the ASR is designed based on anti-windup sliding mode control law, which is robust to wheel model uncertainties, slip ratio estimation errors and disturbances. Multi-condition field tests and simulations results show that compared with the DDEV without an ASR, the controlled vehicle can prevent serious wheel skid on low adhesion roads and improve driving performance. In addition, the slip ratio controller and estimator are adaptive to road friction and slop changes.
- Bo Leng - Tongji University, China
- Lu Xiong - School of Automotive Studies, Tongji University, China
- Zhuoping Yu - School of Automotive Studies, Tongji University, China
- Xinbo Chen - School of Automotive Studies, Tongji University, China
- Guangrong Zhang - Chassis Engineering Department, Pan Asia Technical Automotiv
CitationLeng, B., Xiong, L., Yu, Z., Chen, X. et al., "Road Adaptive Anti-Slip Regulator for a Distributed Drive Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5122, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5122.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Chen, L., Bian, M., Luo, Y., Qin, Z. et al. , “Tire - Road Friction Coefficient Estimation Based on the Resonance Frequency of In-Wheel Motor Drive System,” Vehicle System Dynamics 54(1):1-19, 2016, doi:10.1080/00423114.2015.1110245.
- Mutoh, N., Hayano, Y., Yahagi, H., and Takita, K. , “Electric Braking Control Methods for Electric Vehicles with Independently Driven Front and Rear Wheels,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 54(2):1168-1176, 2007, doi:10.1109/TIE.2007.892731.
- Hori, Y. , “Future Vehicle Driven by Electricity and Control-Research on Four Wheel Motored UOT Electric March II,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 51(5):954-962, 2004, doi:10.1109/TIE.2004.834944.
- Zhuo, G., Shen, H., Xue, R., and Wu, S. , “Open-Loop Characteristics Analysis and Control of High Speed On-Off Valve,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1868 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1868.
- Chen, G., Gu, X., and He, L. , “An Acceleration Slip Regulation Strategy for Four-Wheel Independent Drive EV Based on Road Identification,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1106 , 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1106.
- Gao, L., Xiong, L., Gao, X., and Yu, Z. , “Optimal Torque Allocation for Distributed Drive Electric Skid-Steered Vehicles Based on Energy Efficiency,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0579 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0579.
- Muller, S., Uchanski, M., and Hedrick, K. , “Estimation of the Maximum Tire-Road Friction Coefficient,” Epilepsy Research 108(2):327-330, 2003, doi:10.1109/MCS.2010.937006.
- Piyabongkarn, D., Rajamani, R., Grogg, J., and Lew, J. , “Development and Experimental Evaluation of a Slip Angle Estimator for Vehicle Stability Control,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 17(1):78-88, 2009, doi:10.1109/tcst.2008.922503.
- Liao, X., Huang, Q., Sun, D., Liu, W. et al. , “Real-Time Road Slope Estimation Based on Adaptive Extended Kalman Filter Algorithm with In-Vehicle Data,” in 29th Chinese Control and Decision Conference (CCDC), Chongqing, China, May 28-30, 2017, doi:10.1109/CCDC.2017.7978422.
- Jin, C., Xiong, L., Yu, Z., and Feng, Y. , “Path Following Control for Skid Steering Vehicles with Vehicle Speed Adaption,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0277 , 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0277.
- Xia, X., Xiong, L., Sun, K., and Yu, Z. , “Estimation of Maximum Road Friction Coefficient Based on Lyapunov Method,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 17(6):991-1002, 2016, doi:0.1007/s12239-016-0097-7.
- Grip, H. , “Topics in State and Parameter Estimation for Nonlinear and Uncertain Systems,” Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 2010.
- Chu, W., Luo, Y., Luo, J., and Li, K. , “Vehicle Mass and Road Slope Estimates for Electric Vehicles,” Journal of Tsinghua University 54(6):724-728, 2014, doi:10.16511/j.cnki.qhdxxb.2014.06.010. (in Chinese).
- Yan, Y. , “Analysis of Human Machine Interaction Program in Lane Keeping Assist System Based on Field Test,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1632 , 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1632.
- Li, B., Xiong, L., and Leng, B. , “Adaptive Anti-Slip Regulation Method for Electric Vehicle with In-Wheel Motors Considering the Road Slope,” in 2018 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Changshu, China, June 26-30, 2018, doi:10.1109/IVS.2018.8500399.
- Kay, H. and Khalil, H. , “Universal Controllers with Nonlinear Integrators,” in American Control Conference, Anchorage, May 8-10, 2002, doi:10.1109/ACC.2002.1024790.