This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Late Combustion of Diesel Engine Based on Visualization of Endoscopic Imaging System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 11, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The mechanism of governing the late combustion of a diesel engine is too complex to be understood. On the other hand, shortening the duration of the late combustion is the key measure of improving the degree of constant volume and thermal efficiency alike for diesel engines application. An endoscopic imaging system is harnessed into the analysis of late combustion of typical loading conditions of 2000 rpm/700 kPa of indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) based on a 2.2 L four-cylinder diesel engine. Both ultraviolet (UV) emissions mainly from the excited hydroxyl-radical (OH*) chemiluminescence through a 310 nm bandpass filter and direct soot luminosity images are taken, respectively, for the test operation condition, which is characterized by the pilot, pre-, and main injection at the constant injection pressure of 180 MPa. To guarantee the correct heat release rate derived from in-cylinder pressure, a capacitive proximity top dead center (TDC) sensor has been applied in this work. According to the meaning of intrinsic physical, the new polytropic index is defined. And the polytropic index and in-cylinder pressure at intake valve closure (IVC) timing are performed, respectively. Finally, the correlating trend between visible flame luminosity intensity and the pressure-derived heat release rate, as well as UV chemiluminescence imaging, was verified.
CitationHuang, H., "Analysis of Late Combustion of Diesel Engine Based on Visualization of Endoscopic Imaging System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5114, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5114.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Hasegawa, N., Horie, R., Kuboyama, T., Moriyoshi, Y. et al. , “Influence of Inversed Delta Injection Rate Shaping on Combustion of Multi-Cylinder Diesel Engine,” Presented at in the JSAE Annual Congress (Autumn), Japan, No. 20176058, Oct. 11-13, 2017.
- Kondo, K., Kuribayashi, M., Sakai, K., and Aizawa, T. , “High-Speed Ultraviolet Chemiluminescence Imaging of Late Combustion in Diesel Spray Flame,” International Journal of Engine Research 18(1-2):93-104, 2017.
- Akihama, K., Takatori, Y., Inagaki, K., Sasaki, S. et al. , “Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion by Reducing Temperature,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0655, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0655.
- Alkidas, A.C. , “On the Premixed Combustion in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” in ASME Energy-Sources and Technology Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, LA, Feb. 23-27, 1986, ASME Paper 86-ICF-4.
- Assanis, D.N. et al. , “A Predictive Ignition Delay Correlation under Steady-State and Transient Operation of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 125:450-457, 2003.
- Cheng, A.S. et al. , “Investigation of Fuel Effects on Dilute, Mixing-Controlled Combustion in an Optical Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Energy & Fuels 21:1989-2002, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1021/ef0606456.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1988).
- Aizawa, T., Toyama, Y., Akiyama, S., Fareez, M. et al. , “Inversed-Delta-Injected Diesel Spray Flame via Simultaneous UV-Chemiluminescence, UV-Absorption and Flame Luminosity High-Speed Imaging,” Presented at in the JSAE Annual Congress (Spring), Japan, May 23-25, 2018.
- Aizawa, T., Akiyama, S., Shimada, T., Toyama, Y. et al. , “TAIZAC - TAndem Injectors Zapping ACtivation - for Thermal Efficiency Improvement of Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(1):310-318, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-2179.
- Bin Abdullah, M.F.E., Toyama, Y., Takahara, K., Saruwatari, S. et al. , “Optical Diagnostics of Inversed-Delta Rate Shaping Diesel Spray Flame towards Reduction of Late Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1793, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1793.
- Akiyama, S., Toyama, Y., Saruwatari, S., Shimada, T. et al. , “TAIZAC-TAndem Injectors Zapping ACtivation-Towards Thermal Efficiency Improvement of Diesel Engine,” Presented at in the JSAE Annual Congress (Spring), Japan, May 23-25, 2018.
- Hasegawa, N., Horie, R., Aizawa, T., Adachi, T. et al. , “Analysis of Heat Release Process during Late Combustion in a Diesel Engine,” JSAE Transaction 49(3):581-589, 2018 (in Japanese).
- Saruwatari, S., Toyama, Y., Shimada, T., and Aizawa, T. , “Design and Development of Rate Shaping Injectors towards Reduction of Late Combustion in Diesel Spray Flame,” Presented at in the JSAE Kanto Region Congress, Japan, No. E3-5, Mar. 6-8, 2017.
- Vassallo, A., Beatrice, C., Di Blasio, G., Belgiorno, G. et al. , “The Key Role of Advanced, Flexible Fuel Injection Systems to Match the Future CO2 Targets in an Ultra-Light Mid-Size Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0005, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-37-0005.
- Di Blasio, G., Beatrice, C., Belgiorno, G., Pesce, F. et al. , “Functional Requirements to Exceed the 100 kW/l Milestone for High Power Density Automotive Diesel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(5):2342-2353, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0072.
- Beatrice, C., Di Blasio, G., and Belgiorno, G. , “Experimental Analysis of Functional Requirements to Exceed the 100 kW/l in High-Speed Light-Duty Diesel Engines,” 207(1):591-601, Nov. 2017, http://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2017.06.112.
- Di Blasio, G., Beatrice, C., Ianniello, R., Pesce, F. et al. , “Balancing Hydraulic Flow and Fuel Injection Parameters for Low-Emission and High-Efficiency Automotive Diesel Engines,” SAE Int. J. Adv. & Curr. Prac. in Mobility 2(2):638-652, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0111.
- Hitomi, M. , “The Future Prospect of Internal Combustion Engines,” in 22nd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology, Aachen, German, 2013, 5-14.
- Belgiorno, G., Boscolo, A., Dileo, G., Numidi, F. et al. , “Experimental Study of Additive-Manufacturing-Enabled Innovative Diesel Combustion Bowl Features for Achieving Ultra-Low Emissions and High Efficiency,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-37-0003, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-37-0003.
- Eismark, J., Andersson, M., Christensen, M., Karlsson, A. et al. , “Role of Piston Bowl Shape to Enhance Late-Cycle Soot Oxidation in Low-Swirl Diesel Combustion,” SAE Int. J. Engines 12(3):233-249, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/03-12-03-0017.
- Zha, K., Busch, S., Warey, A., Peterson, R. et al. , “A Study of Piston Geometry Effects on Late-Stage Combustion in a Light-Duty Optical Diesel Engine Using Combustion Image Velocimetry,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):783-804, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0230.
- Shawal, S., Goschutz, M., Schild, M., Kaiser, S. et al. , “High-Speed Imaging of Early Flame Growth in Spark-Ignited Engines Using Different Imaging Systems via Endoscopic and Full Optical Access,” SAE Int. J. Engines 9(2):704-718, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0644.
- Goschütz, M., Schulz, C., and Kaiser, S. , “Endoscopic Imaging of Early Flame Propagation in a Near-Production Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1):351-365, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1178.
- Gaydon, A.G. and Wolfhard, H.G. , “Mechanism of Formation of CH, C2, OH and HCO Radicals in Flames,” Symposium (International) on Combustion 4(1):211-218, 1953.
- Merola, S., Tornatore, C., Valentino, G., and Marchitto, L. , “UV-Visible Imaging and Natural Emission Spectroscopy of Premixed Combustion in High Swirl Multi-Jets Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with Diesel-Gasoline Blend,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1723, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1723.
- Park, Y. and Bae, C. , “Influence of EGR and Pilot Injection on PCCI Combustion in a Single-Cylinder Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1823, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1823.
- Dec, J. and Coy, E. , “OH Radical Imaging in a DI Diesel Engine and the Structure of the Early Diffusion Flame,” SAE Technical Paper 960831, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960831.
- Singh, S., Musculus, M.P.B., and Reitz, R.D. , “Mixing and Flame Structures Inferred from OH-PLIF for Conventional and Low-Temperature Diesel Engine Combustion,” Combustion and Flame 156(10):1898-1908, 2009.
- Nagle, J. and Strickland-Constable, R.F. , “Oxidation of Carbon Between 1000°-2000°C,” Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Carbon (Pergamon, 1961).
- Alkemade, C.T.J., and Herrmann, R. , Fundamentals of Analytical Flame Spectroscopy (Bristol, UK: Hilger, 1979).
- Zhang, L., Takatsuki, T., and Yokota, K. , “An Observation and Analysis of the Combustion Under Supercharging on a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 940844, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940844.
- Magno, A., Mancaruso, E., and Vaglieco, B. , “Endoscopic Investigation of Combustion Process in a Small Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with Rapeseed Methyl Ester,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2649, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2649.
- Werlberger, P. and Cartellieri, W. , “Fuel Injection and Combustion Phenomena in a High Speed DI Diesel Engine Observed by Means of Endoscopic High Speed Photography,” SAE Technical Paper 870097, 1987, https://doi.org/10.4271/870097.
- Richter, M., Axelsson, B., and Aldén, M. , “Engine Diagnostics Using Laser Induced Fluorescence Signals Collected Through an Endoscopic Detection System,” SAE Technical Paper 982465, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982465.
- Wallner, T., Ciatti, S., and Bihari, B. , “Investigation of Injection Parameters in a Hydrogen DI Engine Using an Endoscopic Access to the Combustion Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1464, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1464.
- Franco, S. , Design with Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits Third Edition (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001).
- Pipitone, E., Beccari, A., and Beccari, S. , “The Experimental Validation of a New Thermodynamic Method for TDC Determination,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0052, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-24-0052.
- Staś, M. , “A Universally Applicable Thermodynamic Method for T.D.C. Determination,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0561, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0561.
- Pipitone, E., Beccari, A., and Beccari, S. , “Reliable TDC position determination: a comparison of different thermodynamic methods through experimental data and simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-36-0059, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-36-0059.
- Kim, K. and Kim, S. , “Measurement of Dynamic TDC in SI Engines Using Microwave Sensor, Proximity Probe and Pressure Transducers,” SAE Technical Paper 891823, 1989, https://doi.org/10.4271/891823.
- Nilsson, Y. and Eriksson, L. , “Determining TDC Position Using Symmetry and Other Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1458, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1458.
- Morishita, M. and Kushiyama, T. , “An Improved Method of Determining the TDC Position in a PV-Diagram,” SAE Technical Paper 980625, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980625.
- Lodi, F., Jafari, M., Brown, R., and Bodisco, T. , “Statistical Analysis of the Results Obtained by Thermodynamic Methods for the Determination of TDC Offset in an Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1350, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-1350.
- Schweimer, G. , “Software TDC for Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 880484, 1988, https://doi.org/10.4271/880484.
- Morishita, M., and Kushiyama, T. , “An Improved Method for Determining the TDC Position in a PV-Diagram (First Report),” SAE Technical Paper 970062, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970062.
- Tazerout, M., Le Corre, O., and Stouffs, P. , “Compression Ratio and TDC Calibrations Using Temperature - Entropy Diagram,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3509, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3509.
- Corti, E., Moro, D., and Solieri, L. , “Measurement Errors in Real-Time IMEP and ROHR Evaluation,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0980, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0980.
- Bueno, A.V., Velásquez, J.A., and Milanez, L.F. , “Internal Combustion Engine Indicating Measurements,” in Haq, Z. (ed.), Applied Measurement Systems (Rijeka, Croatia: InTech, 2012), 33-34, ISBN:978-953-51-0103-1.
- Hountalas, D.T., and Anestis, A. , “Effect of Pressure Transducer Position on Measured Cylinder Pressure Diagram of High Speed Diesel Engines,” Energy Conversion and Management 39:589-607, 1998.
- Lee, K., Yoon, M., and Sunwoo, M. , “A Study on Pegging Methods for Noisy Cylinder Pressure Signal,” Control Engineering Practice 16(8):922-929, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2007.10.007.
- Randolph, A. , “Methods of Processing Cylinder-Pressure Transducer Signals to Maximize Data Accuracy,” SAE Technical Paper 900170, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900170.
- Fanelli, I., Camporeale, S., and Fortunato, B. , “Efficient On-Board Calculation from Piezo-Electric Sensor Signal for Real Time In-Cylinder Pressure Offset Compensation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):672-682, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0901.
- Lee, K., Kwon, M., and Sunwoo, M. , “An In-Cylinder Pressure Referencing Method Based on a Variable Polytropic Coefficient,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3535, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3535.
- Sun, W., Du, W., Dai, X., Bai, X. et al. , “A Cylinder Pressure Correction Method Based on Calculated Polytropic Exponent,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2252, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2252.
- Lapuerta, M. , “Study of the Compression Cycle of a Reciprocating Engine through the Polytropic Coefficient,” Applied Thermal Engineering 23(3):313, 2003.
- Lee, Y. and Min, K. , “Estimation of the Polytropic Index for In-Cylinder Pressure Prediction in Engines,” Applied Thermal Engineering 158:113703, 2019.
- Zhang, Y. and Shen, T. , “In-Cylinder Pressure Pegging Algorithm Based on Cyclic Polytropic Coefficient Learning,” Presented at the in JSAE Annual Congress (Autumn), Japan, No. 20166390, Oct. 19-21, 2016.
- Swarts, A. and Yates, A. , “In-Cylinder Fuel Evaporation and Heat Transfer Information Inferred from the Polytropic Character of the Compression Stroke in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1856, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1856.
- Shibata, G. and Urushihara, T. , “Auto-Ignition Characteristics of Hydrocarbons and Development of HCCI Fuel Index,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0220, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0220.
- Sandia , “CFR Newsletter: Imaging of Advanced Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion,” Combustion Research Facility News 25(5):2, 2005.
- Musculus, M.P.B. , “Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0079, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0079.
- Musculus, M.P.B., Miles, P.C., and Pickett, L.M. , “Conceptual Models for Partially Premixed Low-Temperature Diesel Combustion,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 39(2-3):246-283, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2012.09.001.