This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Turbocharger-Induced Whoosh Noise in a Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
In this study, whoosh noise phenomenon was investigated. This broad-band noise is revealed during full throttle run-up maneuvers at high gears between 1000 and 2200 rpm and also during sudden closure of throttle. To investigate the root cause of whoosh noise phenomenon, airborne source quantification (ASQ) method, structural and cavity modal analyses, and CFD analysis were used. Then, a so-called A-tube resonator was designed, manufactured in prototype level, and mounted to turbocharger outlet duct. Finally, a solution was obtained both objectively and subjectively.
CitationTosun, M., Özkan, A., Ağırman, A., and Ayhaner, M., "Investigation of Turbocharger-Induced Whoosh Noise in a Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5090, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5090.
- De Bellis, V. and Bontempo, R. , “Development and Validation of a 1D model for Turbocharger Compressors under Deep-Surge Operation,” Energy 142:507-517, 2018.
- Yamagata, H. , “The Turbocharger and the Exhaust Manifold,” in The Science and Technology of Materials in Automotive Engines, Ed. Yamagata, H. , (Woodhead Publishing, 2005), 248-260, https://doi.org/10.1533/9781845690854.248.
- Silva, G. and Santos, R. , “Study of Turbocharger High Frequency Whistle Noise on Prototype Parts during Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0245, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0245.
- Teng, C. and Homco, S. , “Investigation of Compressor Whoosh Noise in Automotive Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2053, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-2053.
- Kuang, X., Pang, J., Zhang, H., Yang, L. et al. , “Surge Noise Identification and Control of Automotive Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2053, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2053.
- Evans, D. and Ward, A. , “Minimizing Turbocharger Whoosh Noise for Diesel Powertrains,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2485, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2485.
- Nguyen-Schafer, H. , Aero and Vibroacoustics of Automotive Turbochargers (Berlin: Springer, 2013), https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-35070-2.
- Trochon, E.P. , “A New Type of Silencer for Turbocharger Noise Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1436, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1436.
- Chapman, G.M., and Turnbull, J. , “Vibration Analysis Techniques Applied to a Large Turbocharger Rotor,” Modern Practice in Stress and Vibration Analysis 1989:153-161, 1989.
- Blake, W.K. , “Chapter 4: Sound Radiation from Pipe and Duct Systems,” in Mechanics of Flow-Induced Sound and Vibration, Vol. 2, (2nd ed), Ed. Blake, W.K. , (Academic Press, 2017), 297-375, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-809274-3.00004-0.
- Seifzadeh, A., Pietrzyk, P., and Göransson, R.R. , “Experimental Investigation of Coupling Effects of Passenger Compartment and Trunk of a Car on Coupled System Natural Frequencies Using Noise Transfer Function,” Applied Acoustics 83:16-21, 2014.
- van der Seijs, M.V., de Klerk, D., and Rixen, D.J. , “General Framework for Transfer Path Analysis: History, Theory and Classification of Techniques,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 68-69:217-244, 2015.
- Goossens, S., Osawa, T., and Iwama, A. , “Quantification of Intake Systems Noise using an Experimental Source-Transfer-Receiver Model,” SAE Technical Papers 1999-01-1659, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1659.
- Van der Auweraer, H., Van der Linden, P., Haberstok, C., Freymann, R. et al. , “Experimental and Hybrid Modeling of the Medium Frequency Behavior of Car Panels,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0041, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-26-0041.
- Madoliat, R., Nouri, N.M., and Rahrovi, A. , “Equalization of Acoustic Source Using Multi-Pole Sources and Source Strength Estimation Using Inverse Method,” Applied Acoustics 113:210-220, 2016.
- Mori, M., Masumoto, T., and Ishihara, K. , “Study on Acoustic, Vibration and Flow Induced Noise Characteristics of T-Shaped Pipe with a Square Cross-Section,” Applied Acoustics, 120 137-147, 2017.
- Pierro, E., Mucchi, E., Soria, L., and Vecchio, A. , “On the Vibro-Acoustical Operational Modal Analysis of a Helicopter Cabin,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 23(4):1205-1217, 2008.
- Brandao, E., de Carvalho, R., and Lenzi, A. , “An Investigation of the Acoustical Absorption Characteristics of a Recycled Coconut Material with an In Situ and Impedance Tube Methods,” in 20th International Congress of Mechanical Engineering, Brazil, 2009.
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, “Air Induction System Noise,” 2020, Unpublished internal company document.
- Zhang, Q., Mao, Y., Zhou, H., Zhao, C. et al. , “Vibro-Acoustics of a Pipeline Centrifugal Compressor Part II. Control with the Micro-Perforated Panel,” Applied Acoustics 132:152-166, 2018.
- Cummings, A. , “Sound Transmission through Duct Walls,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 239(4):731-765, 2001.
- Molisani, L.R., Burdisso, R.A., and Tsihlas, D. , “A Coupled Tire Structure/Acoustic Cavity Model,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 40(19):5125-5138, 2003.