This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Rear Subframe for a Racing Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The proposed Gen2 rear subframe is an all-new concept designed to be a complete rear-end subassembly, which replaces the conventional rear frame of a car. A reliable, lightweight, simple, and cost-effective design has been developed to improve the James Cook University (JCU)’s Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) car performance in competition.
Through the use of numerical simulation, theoretical computations, and research, refinement of the concept was conducted until a compromise between reliability and lightweight design was found. Taking into consideration accurate loadings acting on the assembly, critical areas of stress were found in the solid drive axle with a maximum Von Mises stress of 151 MPa and overall Factor of Safety (FOS) of 2.11 located on the drive splines of the shaft.
All simulations are verified with the use of theoretical calculations, making the results reliable and accurate. Off-the-shelf items are verified to withstand all loads, and the designs meet the relevant guidelines (Australian Standard [AS] or other) and FSAE requirements. Simplicity has been kept in mind throughout the entire project to help reduce manufacturing costs yet make a reliable model.
CitationRozis, J., Wheatley, G., and Hamzehpour, A., "Design of a Rear Subframe for a Racing Car," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5087, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5087.
- Jawad, B.A., and Polega, B.D. , “Design of Formula SAE Suspension Components,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3308, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-3308.
- Mihailidis, A., Samaras, Z., Nerantzis, I., Fontaras, G. et al. , “The Design of a Formula Student Race Car: A Case Study,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 223:805-818, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1243/09544070JAUTO1080.
- Reynolds, A.C., Martins, B.B., Angeliu, K.M., and Moser, T.P. , “Design and Optimization of a FSAE Vehicle,” Major qualifying project, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, 2015.
- Ebaid, M.S.Y., Ammoura, S., and Al-khishali, K.J.M. , “Design, Build, and Test a Formula Student Racing Car: An Educational Engineering Exercise at Philadelphia University,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education 44:56-93, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/0306419015624984.
- Bainbridge, T. , “Drive Shaft Mounting System Technical Design Report with Manufacturing Schematics & Specifications,” ME 3525 Design Report, James Cook University, Australia, 2012.
- Wallace, J. and Whittering, D. , “FSAE Brake Caliper & Master Cylinder Review,” ME 3525 Design Report, James Cook University, Australia, 2011.
- Pederson, D., Dove, C., and Vellanikaran, D. , “FSAE Motor Sports Vehicle JCU P-3 Differential Design,” ME 3525 Design Report, James Cook University, Australia, 2011.
- “Formula SAE Rules,” SAE International, Warrendale, PA, 2013.
- Wirawan, J.W., Ubaidillah, Aditra, R., Alnursyah, R. et al. , “Design Analysis of Formula Student Race Car Suspension System,” AIP Conference Proceedings 1931(1):030051, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5024110.
- Saurabh, Y.S., Kumar, S., Jain, K.K., Behera, S.K. et al. , “Design of Suspension System for Formula Student Race Car,” Procedia Engineering 144:1138-1149, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.05.081.
- Kerkhoven, J. , “Design of a Formula Student Race Car Chassis,” Diplomityö, Koneenrakennustekniikan laitos, Eindhovenin teknillinen yliopisto, 2008.
- Sethupathi, P.B., Chandradass, J., Sharma, A., Baliga, A.B. et al. , “Design and Optimization of FSAE Chassis Using FEA,” IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 402:012184, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/402/1/012184.
- Farrington, J. , “Redesign of an FSAE Race Car’s Steering and Suspension System,” Course research project, Faculty of Engineering and surveying, University of Southern Queensland, 2011.
- Zhu, B. and Sun, N. , “Design and Optimization of FSAE Race Car Suspension System,” 2015 3rd International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Intelligent Systems (Atlantis Press, 2015), https://doi.org/10.2991/icmeis-15.2015.193.
- Carter, C.D., Sherman, C.B., and Matthews, R.D. , “Design of a Formula SAE Race Car: Vehicle Dynamics and Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 821092, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821092.
- Allwright, J. , “Four Wheel Steering (4WS) on a Formula Student Racing Car,” VTE-J 1:3, 2015.