This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Scenario-Based Validation Approach for Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 27, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The robust validation framework is designed to provide a quality-assured software product while meeting the demands of the automotive market. The performance, safety, and reliability of the features are the key aspects of the quality product development process. The technique of attaining higher coverage primarily depends on the validation process involved in feature development. The goal of a robust development process is to achieve the expected system performance of an automated driving function while ensuring system reliability and safety. The scenarios or use cases for product validation are the key components of the validation procedure to assure product quality. This paper stresses primarily on the approaches of the validation mechanism and addresses the safety-critical aspect of the driving functions. It further demonstrates the requirements of an exhaustive test coverage in a simulation platform. The challenges of an automated driving function validation targeting a commercial vehicle (CV) segment are the area of focus of the paper. The paper further demonstrates the systematic approach of validation strategies including scenario generation, simulation-based testing, and best practices associated with an automated driving development life cycle. Additionally, the resimulation-based validation approach introduces an innovative step to validate features based on the extracted photo-realistic scenario. The functional validation strategy is extensively discussed as a procedure to maximize the validation coverage of the product.
CitationDas, S., Laxminarayana, A., Sahu, R., and Vora, P., "Scenario-Based Validation Approach for Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5080, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5080.
- Xia , Q. , Duan , J. et al. Test Scenario Design for Intelligent Driving System Ensuring Coverage and Effectiveness International Journal of Automotive Technology 19 4 751 758 2018
- Schoeggl , P. and Oswald , M. Driver Assistance and Automated Driving: Opportunities, Challenges, Solutions 30th International AVL Conference Graz, Austria 2018
- Imine , H. and Fridman , L. Stability Control of Heavy Vehicles Institute of Engineering and Technology 2017
- Koopman , P. , and Wagner , M. Challenges in Autonomous Vehicle Testing and Validation SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 4 1 15 24 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0128
- NHTSA 2012
- Beglerovic , H. , Metzner , S. et al. Challenges for the Validation and Testing of Automated Driving Functions Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications 2017
- Elyasi-Pour , R. 2015
- Mauritz , M. , Howar , F. et al. Assuring the Safety of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems through a Combination of Simulation and Runtime Monitoring International Symposium on Leveraging Applications of Formal Methods 2016
- Sovani , S. 2019 https://www.ansys.com/en-in/resource-library/white-paper/fast-tracking-adas
- Menzel , T. , Bagschik , G. et al. Scenarios for Development, Test and Validation of Automated Vehicles IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2018
- Gietelink , O. , Ploeg , J. et al. Development of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems with Vehicle Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulations Vehicle System Dynamics 44 7 569 590 2006
- Tatar , M. Enhancing ADAS Test and Validation With Automated Search for Critical Situations Driving Simulation Conference & Exhibition 2015
- Evers , W.J.E. , Besselink , I.J.M. et al. Development and Validation of a Modular Simulation Model for Commercial Vehicles International Journal Heavy Vehicle Systems 16 1 2009
- Robin , J.L. , McFann , J. et al. FMCSA Commercial Truck Simulation Validation Study Phase-I Pilot Test: Driving Scenario Definition Development Driving Simulation Conference & Exhibition Orlando 2005
- Schöner , H. Simulation in Development and Testing of Autonomous Vehicles Internationales Stuttgarter Symposium Stuttgart 2018
- Dey , R. , Das , S. , and Vora , P.B. Design and Trajectory Estimation of Dynamic Motion Model IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics Bangalore 2018