This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation Study on the Process of Pressure Wave Propagation for High-Pressure Common Rail Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 03, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
In this paper, pressure fluctuation in a high-pressure common rail system has been investigated through numerical simulation method. By establishing a three-dimensional (3D) model and one-dimensional (1D) simulation model of a high-pressure common rail system validated by the experiment, three essential parameters (needle lift, injection pulse width, and the pressure in common rail) of the common rail system were investigated, and their effects on pressure waves’ characteristics were evaluated with a 1D model. Combined with the results of the 3D simulation, the pressure wave generation, propagation, and fuel flow vector in high-pressure pipelines are studied. The results illustrated how each geometric parameter affects the pressure fluctuations. The pressure waves mainly include the expansion wave generated by the fuel injector spray and the compression wave generated during the fuel supply, and the pressure waves are reflected and superimposed in the process of propagation. Due to the continuous conversion of fuel kinetic energy and pressure wave energy, the fuel pressure distribution in the high-pressure pipeline changes with time, and in the process of the conversion between fuel kinetic energy and pressure wave energy, energy loss is inevitable.
CitationLi, G., Zhao, W., Tian, L., Xu, C. et al., "Simulation Study on the Process of Pressure Wave Propagation for High-Pressure Common Rail Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5057, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5057.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Wang , L. , Li , G.X. , Xu , C.L. et al. Effect of Characteristic Parameters on the Magnetic Properties of Solenoid Valve for High-Pressure Common Rail Diesel Engine Energy Conversion & Management 127 656 666 2016
- Wang , C. , Li , G.X. , Sun , Z.Y. et al. Effects of Structure Parameters on Flow and Cavitation Characteristics within Control Valve of Fuel Injector for Modern Diesel Engine Energy Conversion & Management 124 104 115 2016
- Wang , H.P. , Zheng , D. , and Tian , Y. High Pressure Common Rail Injection System Modeling and Control Isa Transactions 63 265 273 2016
- Sun , Z.Y. , Li , G.X. , Chen , C. et al. Numerical Investigation on Effects of Nozzle’s Geometric Parameters on the Flow and the Cavitation Characteristics within Injector’s Nozzle for a High-Pressure Common-Rail DI Diesel Engine Energy Conversion & Management 89 9 843 861 2015
- Sun , Z.Y. , Li , G.X. , Yu , Y.S. et al. Numerical Investigation on Transient Flow and Cavitation Characteristic within Nozzle during the Fuel Drainage Process for a High-Pressure Common-Rail DI Diesel Engine Energy Conversion & Management 98 507 517 2015
- Wang , C. , Chang , H. , Xu , H. et al. Simulation Research of Flow-Control Device in AMESIM IEEE, International Conference on Computing, Control and Industrial Engineering IEEE Wuhan, China 2011 231 234
- Herfatmanesh , M.R. , Peng , Z. , Ihracska , A. et al. Characteristics of Pressure Wave in Common Rail Fuel Injection System of High-Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines Advances in Mechanical Engineering 8 5 2016
- Wu , D. , Sun , B. , Xu , D. , An , X. et al. Study on Pressure Fluctuation of a Constant Pressure Fuel System SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0828 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0828
- Catania , A.E. , Ferrari , A. , Manno , M. et al. Experimental Investigation of Dynamics Effects on Multiple-Injection Common Rail System Performance Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines & Power 130 3 460 466 2008
- Catania , A.E. , Ferrari , A. , and Manno , M. Development and Application of a Complete Multijet Common-Rail Injection-System Mathematical Model for Hydrodynamic Analysis and Diagnostics Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines & Power 130 6 181 192 2008
- Ubertini , S. Injection Pressure Fluctuations Model Applied to a Multidimensional Code for Diesel Engines Simulation Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines & Power 128 3 694 701 2004
- An , S. , Ouyang , G. , Zhang , J. et al. Experiment Study on Control Methods of Common Rail Pressure by Entering Flow International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments. IEEE Wuhan, China 2009