This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Investigation of Two-Stage Pilot Diesel Injection on the Combustion and Emissions of a Pilot Diesel Compression Ignition Natural Gas Engine at Low Load
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 23, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the impact of two-stage pilot injection parameters on the combustion and emissions of pilot diesel compression ignition natural gas (CING) engine at low load. Experiments were performed using a diesel/natural gas dual-fuel engine, which was modified from a six-cylinder diesel engine. The effect of injection timing and injection pressure of two-stage pilot diesel were analyzed in order to reduce both the fuel consumption and total hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions under low load conditions. The results indicate that, because injection timing can determine the degree of pilot diesel stratification, in-cylinder thermodynamic state, and the available mixing time prior to the combustion, the combustion process can be controlled and optimized through adjusting injection timing. Earlier first start of injection timing (SOI1) and moderately early second start of injection timing (SOI2) can realize sequential combustion of pilot diesel and controlled combustion process, while start of combustion (SOC) is decided by SOI2 and duration of combustion (DOC) is decided by SOI1. Injection pressure has great effect on the first injection pilot diesel. For enhanced flame combustion, higher thermal efficiency, and lower THC and CO emissions, the injection condition of SOI1=55°CA BTDC and SOI2=25°CA BTDC with moderate higher injection pressure were preferred, but they had an adverse effect on oxides of nitrogen (NOX) emissions.
CitationWang, D., Wang, Z., Xu, Y., and Han, Y., "Parametric Investigation of Two-Stage Pilot Diesel Injection on the Combustion and Emissions of a Pilot Diesel Compression Ignition Natural Gas Engine at Low Load," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5056, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5056.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Aksu, C., Kawahara, N., and Tsuboi, K. , “Extension of PREMIER Combustion Operation Range Using Split Micro Pilot Fuel Injection in a Dual Fuel Natural Gas Compression Ignition Engine: A Performance-Based and Visual Investigation,” Fuel 185:243-253, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.07.120.
- May, I., Cairns, A., and Zhao, H. , “Reduction of Methane Slip Using Premixed Micro Pilot Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas-Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1798, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1798.
- Nie, X. and Su, W. , “Numerical Study of Ignition Core Formation and the Effects on Combustion in a Pilot Ignited NG Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2273, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/ 2017-01-2273.
- Xu, M., Cheng, W., and Zhang, H. , “Effect of Diesel Pre-Injection Timing on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Compression Ignited Natural Gas Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 117:86-94, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.02.054.
- Nithyanandan, K., Lin, Y., and Donahue, R. , “Characterization of Soot from Diesel-CNG Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine,” Fuel 184:145-152, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.06.028.
- Mousavi, S.M., Saray, R.K., and Poorghasemi, K. , “A Numerical Investigation on Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Engine at Part Load Condition,” Fuel 166:309-319, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.10.052.
- Ogawa, H., Zhao, P.L., and Kato, T. , “Improvement of Combustion and Emissions in a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine with Natural Gas as the Main Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0863, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0863.
- Xu, M., Cheng, W., and Li, Z. , “Pre-Injection Strategy for Pilot Diesel Compression Ignition Natural Gas Engine,” Applied Energy 179:1185-1193, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.07.024.
- Hosmath, R.S., Banapurmath, N.R., and Khandal, S.V. , “Effect of Compression Ratio, CNG Flow Rate and Injection Timing on the Performance of Dual Fuel Engine Operated on Honge Oil Methyl Ester (HOME) and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG),” Renewable Energy 93:579-590, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2016.03.010.
- Aroonsrisopon, T., Salad, M., and Wirojsakunchai, E. , “Injection Strategies for Operational Improvement of Diesel Dual Fuel Engines under Low Load Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1855, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1855.
- Papagiannakis, R.G., Rakopoulos, C.D., and Hountalas, D.T. , “Emission Characteristics of High Speed, Dual Fuel, Compression Ignition Engine Operating in a Wide Range of Natural Gas/Diesel Fuel Proportions,” Fuel 89:1397-1406, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2009.11.001.
- Li, W., Liu, Z., and Wang, Z. , “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of the Combustion Process at Low Loads of a Diesel Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine,” Energy 94:728-741, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2015.11.052.
- Lounici, M.S., Loubar, K., Tarabet, L., and Balistrou, M. , “Towards Improvement of Natural Gas-Diesel Dual Fuel Mode: An Experimental Investigation on Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” Energy 6:200-211, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2013.10.091.
- Wang, B., Li, T., and Ge, L. , “Optimization of Combustion Chamber Geometry for Natural Gas Engines with Diesel Micro-Pilot-Induced Ignition,” Energy Conversion and Management 122:552-563, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.06.027.
- Yousefi, A. and Birouk, M. , “Investigation of Natural Gas Energy Fraction and Injection Timing on the Performance and Emissions of a Dual-Fuel Engine with Pre-Combustion Chamber under Low Engine Load,” Applied Energy 189:492-405, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.046.
- Rao, B.N., Prem Kumar, B.S., and Kumar Reddy, K.V. , “Effect of CNG Flow Rate on the Performance and Emissions of a Mullite-Coated Diesel Engine under Dual-Fuel Mode,” International Journal Ambient Energy 750:1-8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/01430750.2015.1023835.
- Abdelaal, M.M. and Hegab, A.H. , “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Natural Gas-Fueled Diesel Engine with EGR,” Energy Conversion and Management 64:301-312, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.05.021.
- Di Blasio, G., Belgiorno, G., and Beatrice, C. , “Experimental Evaluation of Compression Ratio Influence on the Performance of a Dual-Fuel Methane-Diesel Light-Duty Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2460, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2460.
- Bora, B.J. and Saha, U.K. , “Experimental Evaluation of a Rice Bran Biodiesel - Biogas Run Dual Fuel Diesel Engine at Varying Compression Ratios,” Renewable Energy 87:782-790, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.11.002.
- Bora, B.J., Saha, U.K., and Chatterjee, S. , “Effect of Compression Ratio on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine Run on Raw Biogas,” Energy Conversion Management 87:1000-1009, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.07.080.
- Banapurmath, N.R., Gireesh, N.M., and Basavarajappa, Y.H. , “Effect of Hydrogen Addition to CNG in a Biodiesel-Operated Dual-Fuel Engine,” International Journal of Sustainable Engineering 8:332-340, 2014.
- Alrazen, H.A., Talib, A.R.A., and Ahmad, K.A. , “ScienceDirect a Two-Component CFD Studies of the Effects of H2, CNG, and Diesel Blend on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions of a Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 41:10483-10495, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2015.07.097.
- Ishiyama, T., Kang, J., and Ozawa, Y. , “Improvement of Performance and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions by Pilot-Fuel-Injection Control in a Lean-Burning Natural-Gas Dual-Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1963, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1963.
- Wang, Z., Zhao, Z., and Wang, D. , “Impact of Pilot Diesel Ignition Mode on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of a Diesel/Natural Gas Dual Fuel Heavy-Duty Engine,” Fuel 162:248-256, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.11.077.
- Papagiannakis, R.G., Hountalas, D.T., and Rakopoulos, C.D. , “Theoretical Study of the Effects of Pilot Fuel Quantity and Its Injection Advance on the Performance and Emissions of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 48:2951-1961, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2007.07.003.
- Ryu, K. , “Effects of Pilot Injection Pressure on the Combustion and Emissions Characteristics in a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel-CNG Dual Fuel,” Energy Conversion and Management 76:506-516, 2013.
- Rimmer, J.E.T., Johnson, S.L., and Clarke, A. , “An Experimental Study into the Effect of the Pilot Injection Timing on the Performance and Emissions of a High Speed Common-Rail Dual-Fuel Engine,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 228:929-942, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954407013506180.
- Bo, Y., Chengxun, X., and Xing, W. , “Parametric Investigation of Natural Gas Port Injection and Diesel Pilotcommon Rail Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Load,” Applied Energy 143:130-137, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.01.037.
- Tomita, E. , “Effects of EGR and Early Injection of Diesel Fuel on Combustion Characteristics and Exhaust Emissions in a Methane Dual Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2723, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2723.
- Liu, J., Yang, F., and Wang, H. , “Effects of Pilot Fuel Quantity on the Emissions Characteristics of a CNG/Diesel Dual Fuel Engine with Optimized Pilot Injection Timing,” Applied Energy 110:201-206, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.03.024.
- Nieman, D., Dempsey, A., and Reitz, R.D. , “Heavy-Duty RCCI Operation Using Natural Gas and Diesel,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0379, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2723.
- Tang, Q., Liu, H., and Ran, X. , “Effects of Direct-Injection Fuel Types and Proportion on Late-Injection Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition,” Combustion and Flame 211:445-455, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2019.10.018.
- Kakaee, A.-H., Rahnama, P., and Paykani, A. , “Influence of Fuel Composition on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Natural Gas/Diesel RCCI Engine,” Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering 25:58-65, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jngse.2015.04.020.
- Yousefia, A., Guob, H., and Birouk, M. , “An Experimental and Numerical Study on Diesel Injection Split of a Natural Gas/Diesel Dual-Fuel Engine at a Low Engine Load,” Fuel 212:332-346, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2017.10.053.
- Yang, B. and Zeng, K. , “Effects of Natural Gas Injection Timing and Split Pilot Fuel Injection Strategy on the Combustion Performance and Emissions in a Dual-Fuel Engine Fueled with Diesel and Natural Gas,” Energy Conversion and Management 168:162-169, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2018.04.091.
- Acar, S.M. and Arslan, O. , “Performance Analysis of a New Hybrid Cooling-Drying System,” Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.12832.
- Acar, S.M. and Arslan, O. , “Exergo-Economic Evaluation of a New Drying System Boosted by Ranque-Hilsch Vortex Tube,” Applied Thermal Engineering 124:1-16, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2017.06.010.