This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimizing the Transesterification Efficiency of Pumpkin Seed Bio-Oil through Response Surface Methodology Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 22, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
Biodiesel production from Cucurbita pepo L. was explored in the present investigation. Bio-oil extraction from pumpkin seed was achieved using Soxhlet extraction method. Optimization of input process parameters for achieving the maximum pumpkin seed biodiesel (PkSBD) by a single-stage transesterification process using sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and methanol has been studied. A rotatable central composite design (RCCD) with 20 experimental trial runs was designed using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) to understand the interdependency between alcohol-to-bio-oil ratio, catalyst loading, and reaction duration. The developed model predicted maximum PkSBD at 0.84 v/v methanol-to-bio-oil ratio, 3.48 g/g catalyst loading, and 91.7 min reaction duration as 98.87%, and this was also validated experimentally. The physicochemical characterization was identified by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) analysis, which revealed the presence of palmitic and linolenic acid in prominent proportions, and the properties fulfilled the requirement of global standards. Thus, producing biodiesel from pumpkin seed oil was found to be a viable option.
- Venkatesan Hariram - Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- V. Nagapraveen - Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- R. Jaganathan - Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- J. Godin John - Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- S. Seralathan - Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
- T. Micha Premkumar - Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
CitationHariram, V., Nagapraveen, V., Jaganathan, R., Godin John, J. et al., "Optimizing the Transesterification Efficiency of Pumpkin Seed Bio-Oil through Response Surface Methodology Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5048, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Sokoto, M.A., Hassan, L.G., Dangoggo, S.M., Ahmad, H.G., and Uba, A. , “Influence of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters on Fuel Properties of Biodiesel Produced from the Seeds Oil of Cucurbita pepo ,” Nigerian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 19(1):81-86, 2011.
- Bello, E.I., Anjorin, S.A., and Agge, M. , “Production of Biodiesel from Fluted Pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis Hook F.) Seeds Oil,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering 1(2):22-31, 2011.
- Yoshida, H., Shougaki, Y., Hirakawa, Y., Tomiyama, Y., and Mizushina, Y. , “Lipid Classes, Fatty Acid Composition and Triacylglycerol Molecular Species in the Kernels of Pumpkin (Cucurbita spp) Seeds,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 84(2):158-163, 2004.
- Ahmad, T., Danish, M., Kale, P., Geremew, B. et al. , “Optimization of Process Variables for Biodiesel Production by Transesterification of Flaxseed Oil and Produced Biodiesel Characterizations,” Renewable Energy 139:1272-1280, 2019.
- Ozcanli, M., Gungor, C., and Aydin, K. , “Biodiesel Fuel Specifications: A Review,” Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects 35(7):635-647, 2013.
- Hariram, V., Bose, A., and Seralathan, S. , “Dataset on Optimized Biodiesel Production from Seeds of Vitis vinifera Using ANN, RSM and ANFIS,” Data in Brief 25:104298, 2019.
- Schinas, P., Karavalakis, G., Davaris, C., Anastopoulos, G. et al. , “Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo L.) Seed Oil as an Alternative Feedstock for the Production of Biodiesel in Greece,” Biomass and Bioenergy 33(1):44-49, 2009.
- Patel, S. , “Pumpkin (Cucurbita sp.) Seeds as Nutraceutic: A Review on Status Quo and Scopes,” Mediterranean Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism 6:183-189, 2013.
- Salvi, B.L., Panwar, N. L. (2012). Biodiesel Resources and Production Technologies - A Review. Renewable and Sustainable energy Reviews, 16(6), 3680-3689.
- Bello, E.I., Mogaji, T.S., and Agge, M. , “The Effects of Transesterification on Selected Fuel Properties of Three Vegetable Oils,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering Research 3(7):218-225, 2011.
- Elhardallou, S.B., Elawad, A.M., Khairi, N.A., Gobouri, A.A., and Dhahawi, H.O. , “A Review on Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids: Uses, Benefits and Their Availability in Pumpkin (Cucurbita maxima) Seed and Desert Dates (Balanites aegyptiaca) Seed Kernel Oils,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 17(12):1195-1208, 2014.
- Felizardo, P., Correia, M.J., Raposo, I., Mendes, J.F. et al. , “Production of Biodiesel from Waste Frying Oils,” Waste Management 26(5):487-494, 2006.
- Ramadhas, A.S., Jayaraj, S., and Chandrasekharan, M. , “Biodiesel Production from High FFA Rubber Seed Oil,” Fuel 84(4):335-340, 2005.
- Leung, D.Y.C. and Guo, Y. , “Transesterification of Neat and Used Frying Oil: Optimization for Biodiesel Production,” Fuel Processing Technology 87(10):883-890, 2006.
- Van Gerpen, J. , “Biodiesel Processing and Production,” Fuel Processing Technology 86:1097-1107, 2005.
- Fassinou, W.F. , “Higher Heating Value (HHV) of Vegetable Oils, Fats and Biodiesels Evaluation Based on Their Pure Fatty Acids' HHV,” Energy 45(1):798-805, 2012.
- Avhad, M.R. and Marchetti, J.M. , “Innovation in Solid Heterogeneous Catalysis for the Generation of Economically Viable and Eco-Friendly Biodiesel: A Review,” Catalysis Review Science and Engineering 58(2):157-208, 2016.
- Jorge, N., da Silva, A.C., and Malacrida, C.R. , “Physicochemical Characterisation and Radical-Scavenging Activity of Cucurbitaceae Seed Oils,” Natural Product Research 29(24):2313-2317, 2015.
- Sabudak, T. and Yildiz, M. , “Biodiesel Production from Waste Frying Oils and Its Quality Control,” Waste Management 30(5):799-803, 2010.
- Dharma, S., Masjuki, H.H., Ong, H.C., Sebayang, A.H. et al. , “Optimization of Biodiesel Production Process for Mixed Jatropha curcas-Ceiba pentandra Biodiesel Using Response Surface Methodology,” Energy Conversion and Management 115:178-190, 2016.
- Hasni, K., Ilham, Z., Dharma, S., and Varman, M. , “Optimization of Biodiesel Production from Brucea javanica Seeds Oil as Novel Non-Edible Feedstock Using Response Surface Methodology,” Energy Conversion and Management 149:392-400, 2017.
- Hariram, V. and Vasanthaseelan, S. , “Optimization of Base Catalysed Transesterification and Characterization of Brassica napus (Canola Seed) for the Production of Biodiesel,” International Journal of ChemTech Research 8(9):418-423, 2015.
- Hariram, V., John, J.G., and Seralathan, S. , “Spectrometric Analysis of Algal Biodiesel as a Fuel Derived through Base-Catalysed Transesterification,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 40(2):195-202, 2019.
- Chumuang, N. and Punsuvon, V. , “Response Surface Methodology for Biodiesel Production Using Calcium Methoxide Catalyst Assisted with Tetrahydrofuran as Cosolvent,” Journal of Chemistry 2017:1-9, 2017.
- Venkatesan, H., John, G., and Sivamani, S. , “Cotton Seed Biodiesel as Alternative Fuel: Production and Its Characterization Analysis Using Spectroscopic Studies,” International Journal of Renewable Energy Research 7(3):1333-1339, 2017.
- Hariram, V. and Bharathwaaj, R. , “Application of Zero-Dimensional Model for Predicting Combustion Parameters of CI Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel-Diesel Blends,” Alexandria Engineering Journal 55:3345-3354, 2016.
- Betiku, E., Osunleke, A.S., Odude, V.O., Bamimore, A. et al. , “Performance Evaluation of Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System, Artificial Neural Network and Response Surface Methodology in Modeling Biodiesel Synthesis from Palm Kernel Oil by Transesterification,” Biofuels 40:1-16, 2018, 10.1080/17597269.2018.1472980.
- Lee, H.V., Yunus, R., Juan, J.C., and Taufiq-Yap, Y.H. , “Process Optimization Design for Jatropha-Based Biodiesel Production Using Response Surface Methodology,” Fuel Processing Technology 92(12):2420-2428, 2011.
- Bikash, B., Choudhury, N.D., Bora, D.K., and Kalita, K. , Physicochemical Assessment of Pumpkin (Cucurbita pepo L.) Seed Oil as a Viable Feedstock for Biodiesel Production, in Conference Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Recent Advances in Bioenergy Research, Punjab, India, 2018, 19-28, Springer, Singapore.
- Venkatesan, H., Bose, A., and Sivamani, S. , “Evaluating the Predicting Capability of Response Surface Methodology on Biodiesel Production from Grape Seed Bio,” Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, in press, https://doi.org/10.1080/15567036.2019.1649759.
- Venkatesan, H., John, G., and Sivamani, S. , “Data Set for Extraction and Transesterification of Bio-Oil from Stoechospermum marginatum, a Brown Marine Algae,” Data in Brief 14:623-628, 2017.
- Ali, M., Ian, A., and Watson , “Comparison of Oil Extraction Methods, Energy Analysis and Biodiesel Production from Flax Seeds,” International Journal of Energy Research 38:614-625, 2013.