This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cooperative Ramp Merging Control for Connected and Automated Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Traffic congestions are increasingly severe in urban areas, especially at the merging areas of the ramps and the arterial roads. Because of the complex conflict relationship of the vehicles in ramps and arterial roads in terms of time-spatial constraints, it is challenging to coordinate the motion of these vehicles, which may easily cause congestions at the merging areas. The connected and automated vehicles (CAVs) provides potential opportunities to solve this problem. A centralized merging control method for CAVs is proposed in this paper, which can organize the traffic movements in merging areas efficiently and safely. In this method, the merging control model is built to formulate the vehicle coordination problem in merging areas, which is then transformed to the discrete nonlinear optimization form. A simulation model is built to verify the proposed method. The simulation results show that the proposed method has significant potential to improve vehicle fuel economy in merging scenarios.
CitationTianchuang, M., Biao, X., Xiaohui, Q., Jin, H. et al., "Cooperative Ramp Merging Control for Connected and Automated Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5020, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Rios-Torres , J. and Malikopoulos , A.A. Automated and Cooperative Vehicle Merging at Highway On-Ramps IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 18 4 780 789 2017
- Awal , T. , Kulik , L. , and Ramamohanrao , K. Optimal Traffic Merging Strategy for Communication- and Sensor-Enabled Vehicles 16th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC 2013) 2013 1468 1474
- Zhang , X.D. , Guo , Z.Y. , Gao , J.P. , and Jiang , R. Safety Theory Analysis of On-Ramp Merging Area of Expressway J. Chong Qing Traffic Inst. 25 1 99 103 2006
- Rong , C. , Jin , L.-S. , and Yu , J. Research on Safety Driving Assistant System of Expressway On-Ramp Merging Area Based on Wireless Network Communication 2009 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics 6 3139 3144 2009
- Rios-Torres , J. and Malikopoulos , A.A. A Survey on the Coordination of Connected and Automated Vehicles at Intersections and Merging at Highway On-Ramps IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 18 5 1066 1077 2017
- Zhao , Z. , Wang , Z. , G ., Wu , Ye , F. , and Barth , M. The State-of-the-Art of Coordinated Ramp Control with Mixed Traffic Conditions ArXiv.org 2019 ArXiv.org
- Schmidt , G.K. and Posch , B. A Two-Layer Control Scheme for Merging of Automated Vehicles 22nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control 1983 495 500
- Ran , B. , Leight , S. , and Chang , B. A Microscopic Simulation Model for Merging Control on a Dedicated-Lane Automated Highway System Transportation Research Part C 7 6 369 388 1999
- Raravi , G. , Shingde , V. , Ramamritham , K. , and Bharadia , J.
- Rios-Torres , J. , Malikopoulos , A. , and Pisu , P. Online Optimal Control of Connected Vehicles for Efficient Traffic Flow at Merging Roads 2015 IEEE 18th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2015 2015 2432 2437
- Xie , Y. , Zhang , H. , Gartner , N.H. , and Arsava , T. Collaborative Merging Strategy for Freeway Ramp Operations in a Connected and Autonomous Vehicles Environment Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems 21 2 136 147 2017
- Cao , W. , Mukai , M. , Kawabe , T. , Nishira , H. , and Fujiki , N. Cooperative Vehicle Path Generation during Merging Using Model Predictive Control with Real-Time Optimization Control Engineering Practice 34 98 105 2015
- Uno , A. , Sakaguchi , T. , and Tsugawa , S. Merging Control Algorithm Based on Inter-Vehicle Communication IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Proceedings, ITSC 1999 783 787
- Lu , X.-Y. and Hedrick , J.K. Longitudinal Control Algorithm for Automated Vehicle Merging International Journal of Control 76 2 193 202 2003
- Milanes , V. , Godoy , J. , Villagra , J. , and Perez , J. Automated On-Ramp Merging System for Congested Traffic Situations IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 12 2 500 508 2011
- Junqing Wei , J. , Dolan , and Litkouhi Autonomous Vehicle Social Behavior for Highway Entrance Ramp Management 2013 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV) 2013 201 207
- Wang , Z. , Wu , G. , Boriboonsomsin , K. , Barth , M.J. et al. Cooperative Ramp Merging System: Agent-Based Modeling and Simulation Using Game Engine SAE International Journal of Connected and Automated Vehicles 2 2 115 128 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/12-02-02-0008
- Cappiello , A. , Chabini , N. , Lue , and Zeid , A. A Statistical Model of Vehicle Emissions and Fuel Consumption Proceedings, The IEEE 5th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems 2002 2002 801 809