This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Design for Maximum Fundamental Frequency and Minimum Intermediate Support Stiffness for Uniform and Stepped Beams Composed of Different Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 06, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: Automotive Technical Papers
The minimum support stiffness that achieves the maximum modal frequencies or critical speed is very important in the design of mechanical systems. The optimal values of the intermediate support stiffness and geometrical parameters of uniform and stepped Timoshenko beams composed of single or two materials are studied in order to maximize the modal frequency and minimize the intermediate support stiffness. Dynamic stiffness matrix (DSM) method and multi-objective particle swarm optimization (MOPSO) algorithm are used together to evaluate new optimal parameters. For single material, the results show that for uniform thick beams, the optimal maximum fundamental frequency and minimum intermediate support stiffness are lower than those of Bernoulli-Euler beams. In addition, the optimal design for stepped beams made of two metallic materials is investigated. For three different metallic combinations, gain factors of 1.561 to 2.745 are obtained for a beam without intermediate support. Comparison with experimental results is carried out. The current study and its results can be applied to improve the dynamic performance of many of industrial applications, such as guyed masts derricks, vertical tube furnaces, and long rotary machines with intermediate support.
CitationAhmed, E., Tamer, E., and Said, F., "Optimal Design for Maximum Fundamental Frequency and Minimum Intermediate Support Stiffness for Uniform and Stepped Beams Composed of Different Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5014, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-5014.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
- Timoshenko, S.P. , “LXVI. On the Correction for Shear of the Differential Equation for Transverse Vibrations of Prismatic Bars,” The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science 41(245):744-746, 1921.
- Huang, T. , “The Effect of Rotatory Inertia and of Shear Deformation on the Frequency and Normal Mode Equations of Uniform Beams with Simple End Conditions,” Journal of Applied Mechanics 28(4):579-584, 1961.
- De Rosa, M.A., Bellés, P.M., and Maurizi, M.J. , “Free Vibrations of Stepped Beams with Intermediate Elastic Supports,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 181(5):905-910, 1995.
- El-Sayed, T.A. and Farghaly, S.H. , “Exact Vibration of Timoshenko Beam Combined with Multiple Mass Spring Sub-Systems,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 57(6):989-1014, 2016.
- Farghaly, S.H. and El-Sayed, T.A. , “Exact Free Vibration Analysis for Mechanical System Composed of Timoshenko Beams with Intermediate Eccentric Rigid Body on Elastic Supports: An Experimental and Analytical Investigation,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 82:376-393, 2017.
- El-Sayed, T.A. and Farghaly, S.H. , “Frequency Equation Using New Set of Fundamental Solutions with Application on the Free Vibration of Timoshenko Beams with Intermediate Rigid or Elastic Span,” Journal of Vibration and Control 24(20):4764-4780, 2018.
- Wang, C. and Wang, C. , “Vibration of a Beam with an Internal Hinge,” International Journal of Structural Stability Dynamics 1(1):163-167, 2001.
- Farghaly, S.H. , “Vibration and Stability Analysis of Timoshenko Beams with Discontinuities in Cross-Section,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 174(5):591-605, 1994.
- Farghaly, S.H. and Elmahdy, T.H. , “The Gain in the Fundamental Frequency of Timoshenko Beams Consisting of Three Distinct Parts and with Root Flexibilities,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 178(1):131-140, 1994.
- El-Sayed, T. and Farghaly, S. , “Exact Free Vibration Analysis of Timoshenko Stepped Shaft Carrying Elastically Supported Eccentric Masses with Application on SWRO Mechanical System,” Desalination 385:194-206, 2016.
- Farghaly, S. and El-Sayed, T. , “Exact Free Vibration of Multi-Step Timoshenko Beam System with Several Attachments,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 72:525-546, 2016.
- El-Sayed, T.A. and Farghaly, S.H. , “A Normalized Transfer Matrix Method for the Free Vibration of Stepped Beams: Comparison with Experimental and FE(3D) Methods,” Shock and Vibration 23, 2017.
- El-Sayed, T.A. and El-Mongy, H.H. , “Free Vibration and Stability Analysis of a Multi-Span Pipe Conveying Fluid Using Exact and Variational Iteration Methods Combined with Transfer Matrix Method,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 71:173-193, 2019.
- Williams, F. and Wittrick, W. , “An Automatic Computational Procedure for Calculating Natural Frequencies of Skeletal Structures,” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 12(9):781-791, 1970.
- Banerjee, J. , “Dynamic Stiffness Formulation for Structural Elements: A General Approach,” Computers & structures 63(1):101-103, 1997.
- Xiaobin, L., Shuangxi, X., Weiguo, W., and Jun, L. , “An Exact Dynamic Stiffness Matrix for Axially Loaded Double-Beam Systems,” Sadhana 39(3):607-623, 2014.
- Moragaspitiya, P., Thambiratnam, D., Perera, N., and Chan, T.H. , “Use of Vibration Characteristics to Predict the Axial Deformation of Columns,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 50(1):73-88, 2014.
- Ghandi, E. and Shiri, B. , “On Triply Coupled Vibration of Eccentrically Loaded Thin-Walled Beam Using Dynamic Stiffness Matrix Method,” structural Engineering and Mechanics 62(6):759-769, 2017.
- Liu, X. and Banerjee, J.R. , “A Spectral Dynamic Stiffness Method for Free Vibration Analysis of Plane Elastodynamic Problems,” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 87(Part A):136-160, 2017.
- El-Ella, M.I.A., El-Sayed, T., and Farghaly, S. , 2018, “Vibration and Stability Analysis of Pipe Conveying Fluid Using Dynamic Stiffness Matrix and Numerical Methods,” in 2018 Pressure Vessels & PipingCzech Republic, Prague.
- Arenas, B.d.V. and Grossi, R.O. , “Vibration Frequencies for a Beam with a Rotational Restraint in an Adjustable Position,” Applied Acoustics 57(3):197-202, 1999.
- Lu, Z.R., Huang, M., Liu, J.K., Chen, W.H., and Liao, W.Y. , “Vibration Analysis of Multiple-Stepped Beams with the Composite Element Model,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 322(4-5):1070-1080, 2009.
- Koplow, M.A., Bhattacharyya, A., and Mann, B.P. , “Closed Form Solutions for the Dynamic Response of Euler-Bernoulli Beams with Step Changes in Cross Section,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 295(1-2):214-225, 2006.
- Jaworski, J.W. and Dowell, E.H. , “Free Vibration of a Cantilevered Beam with Multiple Steps: Comparison of Several Theoretical Methods with Experiment,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 312(4-5):713-725, 2008.
- Liao, Y. , “A Generalized Method for the Optimal Design of Beams under Flexural Vibration,” Journal of sound and vibration 167(2):193-202, 1993.
- Dai, H., Wang, L., and Ni, Q. , “Dynamics of a Fluid-Conveying Pipe Composed of Two Different Materials,” International Journal of Engineering Science 73:67-76, 2013.
- Olhoff, N. , “Optimization of Vibrating Beams with Respect to Higher Order Natural Frequencies,” Journal of Structural Mechanics 4(1):87-122, 1976.
- Olhoff, N. , “Minimum Stiffness of Optimally Located Supports for Maximum Value of Beam Eigenfrequencies,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 120(3):457-463, 1988.
- Wang, B.P. and Chen, J.L. , “Application of Genetic Algorithm for the Support Location Optimization of Beams,” Computers & Structures 58(4):797-800, 1996.
- Wang, C. , “Minimum Stiffness of an Internal Elastic Support to Maximize the Fundamental Frequency of a Vibrating Beam,” Journal of Sound nd Vibration 259(1):229-232, 2003.
- Wang, D., Jiang, J., and Zhang, W. , “Optimization of Support Positions to Maximize the Fundamental Frequency of Structures,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 61(10):1584-1602, 2004.
- Wang, D., Friswell, M., and Lei, Y. , “Maximizing the Natural Frequency of a Beam with an Intermediate Elastic Support,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 291(3):1229-1238, 2006.
- Jihong, Z. and Weihong, Z. , “Maximization of Structural Natural Frequency with Optimal Support Layout,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 31(6):462-469, 2006.
- Wang, D. , “Optimal Design of an Intermediate Support for a Beam with Elastically Restrained Boundaries,” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 133(3):1-8, 2011.
- Aydin, E. , “Minimum Dynamic Response of Cantilever Beams Supported by Optimal Elastic Springs,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 51(3):377-402, 2014.
- Zhou, A., Qu, B.-Y., Li, H., Zhao, S.-Z. et al. , “Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithms: A Survey of the State of the Art,” Swarm and Evolutionary Computation 1(1):32-49, 2011.
- Eberhart, R., and Kennedy, J. , "A New Optimizer Using Particle Swarm Theory," Proc. Micro Machine and Human Science, 1995. MHS'95., Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on, IEEE, pp. 39-43.
- Reyes-Sierra, M. and Coello, C.C. , “Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimizers: A Survey of the State-of-the-Art,” International journal of computational intelligence research 2(3):287-308, 2006.
- Kaveh, A. and Zolghadr, A. , “A New PSRO Algorithm for Frequency Constraint Truss Shape and Size Optimization,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 52(3):445-468, 2014.
- Shariatmadar, H. and Meshkat Razavi, H. , “Seismic Control Response of Structures Using an ATMD with Fuzzy Logic Controller and PSO Method,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 51, 2014.
- Kaveh, A., Bakhshpoori, T., and Afshari, E. , “Hybrid PSO and SSO Algorithm for Truss Layout and Size Optimization Considering Dynamic Constraints,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 54(3):453-474, 2015.
- Jafari, M., Hoseyni, S.A.M., and Chaleshtari, M.H.B. , “Determination of Optimal Parameters for Perforated Plates with Quasi-Triangular Cutout by PSO,” Structural Engineering and Mechanics 60(5):795-807, 2016.
- Vosoughi, A.R. , “A Developed Hybrid Method for Crack Identification of Beams,” Smart Structures and Systems 16(3):401-414, 2015.
- Coello, C.A.C., Pulido, G.T., and Lechuga, M.S. , “Handling Multiple Objectives with Particle Swarm Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 8(3):256-279, 2004.
- Sunwoo, M., Cheok, K.C., and Huang, N. , “Model Reference Adaptive Control for Vehicle Active Suspension Systems,” IEEE Transactions on industrial electronics 38(3):217-222, 1991.
- Omran, M.G. , Particle Swarm Optimization Methods for Pattern Recognition and Image Processing (University of Pretoria, 2005).
- Clerc, M. and Kennedy, J. , “The Particle Swarm-Explosion, Stability, and Convergence in a Multidimensional Complex Space,” IEEE transactions on Evolutionary Computation 6(1):58-73, 2002.