This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cold Idle Gear Rattle in Manual Transmission Passenger Car-Temperature Based Phenomenon
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Gear rattle is due to impact noise of unloaded gears in transmission having freedom to move in backlash region. Engine order vibrations in the presence of backlash in meshing pairs induce the problem. It is a system behavior wherein flywheel torsional vibrations, the pre-damper characteristics and transmission drag torque plays a vital role in an engine idle condition (hot & cold). Idle rattle is a severe issue, which is highly noticeable in cold condition or after 1st engine crank.
Gear rattling observed in idle condition is idle gear rattle or neutral gear rattle, specifically in cold condition is a “Cold idle rattle” and this is one of the critical noise parameters considered for entire vehicle NVH. Damper mechanism in the clutch, is used to serve better isolation (by reducing the input excitation to transmission parts) of vibrations between engine and transmission their by reducing gear rattle intensity. Engine firing order, engine downsizing, down speeding (means high peak torque at low engine speed) and other unbalance masses plays leading role in fluctuation of output torque. Clutch parameters like pre-damper stiffness, hysteresis and wind up angle affects more to the cold idle rattle phenomenon. The gear-rattle phenomenon is also depends on vehicle operating temperatures. Temperature variation affects the frictional drag of transmission, which is a most crucial parameter in clutch Pre-damper characteristics design (input parameter) to address rattle.
Through experiments, the effect of temperature variation on transmission drag torque and its effect on clutch pre-damper characteristics, which is sensitive to rattle phenomenon, was established.
Clutch designer need to understand the requirements and accordingly optimum pre-damper characteristics need to be defined which would result into acceptable idle rattle. This was demonstrated with the experiments considering different pre-damper characteristics on same powertrain. These experiments will help clutch designers to define correct selection / design of pre-damper in the clutch disc.
CitationKapse, R., More, V., and Gangane, S., "Cold Idle Gear Rattle in Manual Transmission Passenger Car-Temperature Based Phenomenon," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2245, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2245.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
- Sobecki , B. , Davies , P. , and Bolton , J.S. Simulation of Gear Rattle to Aid in the Development of Sound Quality, Metrics for Diesel Engine Component Specification USA Purdue University 2014
- Padmanabhan , C. , Rook , T. , and Singh , R. Modeling of Automotive Gear Rattle Phenomenon: State of the Art SAE Technical Paper 951316 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/951316
- Grover , G.K. Mechanical Vibrations Eighth India Nem Chand & Bros., Civil Lines, Roorkee 2470667 2014
- Miyasato , H. Study of the Gear Rattle Phenomena in Automotive Power-Train Systems 21st International Congress of Mechanical Engineering October 24-28, 2011
- Bozca , M. Torsional Vibration Model Based Optimization of Gearbox Geometric Design Parameters to Reduce Rattle Noise in an Automotive Transmission Yildiz, Istanbul, Turkey Yildiz Technical University, Mechanical Engineering Faculty, Machine Design Division, 34349 24 July 2010
- WANG , M.Y. Numerical Modelling and Analysis of Automotive Transmission Rattle Department of Automation and Computer-Aided Engineering, Chinese University of Hong Kong Shatin, NT Hong Kong Martch 2002 921 943
- singh , R. , Xie , H. , and Comparin , R.J. Analysis of Automotive Neutral Gear Rattle Columbus, OH Ohio State University, Department of Mechanical Engineering 1998
- Brancati , R. , Rocca , E. , Savino , S. , Timpone , F.
- A Gear Pair under Rattle Conditions Induced by Multi-harmonic Excitation Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering 2015 Vol. II WCE 2015, July 1-3 2015
- Nortan , R.L. Machine Design an Integrated Approach Third 2006
- Steel Wire For Mechanical Springs, Specification Part 2 Oil Hardened And Tempered Steel Wire IS4454 part 2 2001
- Shigley’s Mechanical Engineering Design Eighth Edition 2006 The McGraw−Hill Companies Printed in the United States of America
- Nejat , Sureyya Loose Part Vibrations in Vehicle Transmission-Gear Rattle University of Stuttgart Institute fur Maschinenelemente, Paffenwaldring Stuttgart-Almanya 25.02.1999