This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driver Classification of Shifting Strategies Using Machine Learning Algorithms
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The adequate dimensioning of drive train components such as gearbox, clutch and driveshaft presents a major technical task. The one of manual transmissions represents a special significance due to the customer’s ability of inducing high force, torque and thermic energy into the powertrain through direct mechanical interconnection of gearstick, clutch pedal and gearbox. Out of this, the question about how to capture behavior and strain of the components during real operation, as well as their objective evaluation evolves. Furthermore, the gained insights must be considered for designing and development.
As a basis for the examination, measuring data from imposing driving tests are adduced. Therefore, a trial study has been conducted, using a representative circular course in the metropolitan area of Stuttgart, showing the average German car traffic. The more than 40 chosen drivers constitute the average driver in Germany with respect to age, gender and annual mileage. The used vehicle is equipped with high resolution data acquisition in order to determine inner systemic variables such as oscillation of the drivetrain, clutch slip, engine and wheel torque as well as outer variables such as pedal stroke and acceleration during the shifting process, which the driver controls. Misuse aspects resulting in increased wear or even component damage as well as comfort-related aspects are collected and consulted for further development.
In the context of this study the collected measurement data are analyzed in detail. On basis of this analysis, an evaluation of the shifting processes during real operation is conducted and presented by use of objectified characteristic variables. Finally, the evaluations of different shifting processes are opposed. With the help of t-SNE and cluster analysis as a classification method on basis of a machine learning algorithm, different types of drivers can be worked out and described in detail using the determined characteristic variables.
CitationTrost, D., Ebel, A., Brosch, E., and Reuss, H., "Driver Classification of Shifting Strategies Using Machine Learning Algorithms," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2241, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2241.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Arnold , B. , Hofmann , J. , Clarenc , P. , and Lecointre , B. Simulator für optimierte Schaltqualität von Handschaltgetrieben ATZ - Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 62 67 2019
- Geiberger , A. The New Generation 6-Speed FWD and AWD Manual Transmission for General Motors 17. Internationales CTI-Symposium Berlin 2017
- Martinelli , F. , Mercaldo , F. , Nardone , V. , Orlando , A. , et al. Cluster Analysis for Driver Aggressiveness Identification ICISSP 562 569 2018
- van Ly , M. , Martin , S. , and Trivedi , M.M. Driver Classification and Driving Style Recognition Using Inertial Sensors IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium 2013
- Miyajima , C. , et al. Driver Modeling Based on Driving Behavior and Its Evaluation in Driver Identification Proceedings of the IEEE 2007
- Meng , X. , Lee , K.K. , and Xu , Y. Human Driving Behavior Recognition Based on Hidden Markov Models IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics 2006
- Wahab , A. , Keong , T.C. , Abut , H. , and Takeda , K. Driver Recognition System Using FNN and Statistical Methods Advances for In-Vehicle and Mobile Systems Springer Boston 11 23 2007
- Trost , D. Objectified Evaluation of Shifting Quality of Manual Transmissions During Real Operation 20th Stuttgart International Symposium Stuttgart 2020
- Rumbolz , P. , Baumann , G. , and Reuss , H.-C.
- Duque , E.L. , and Aquino , P.T. Jr. Human Factors Analysis of Manual Gear Shifting Performance in Passenger Vehicles Procedia Manufacturing 4350 4357 2015
- Frei , S.A. , Guzzella , L. , Onder , C.H. , and Nizzola , C. Improved Dynamic Performance of Turbocharged SI Engine Power Trains Using Clutch Actuation Control Engineering Practice 363 373 2006
- Horste , K. Objective Measurement of Automatic Transmission Shift Feel Using Vibration Dose Value SAE Technical Paper 951373 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/951373
- Kahlbau , S. 2013
- Naunheimer , H. , Bertsche , B. , Ryborz , J. , and W , N. 2011
- Orthwein , W.C. Clutches and Brakes: Design and Selection CRC Press 2004
- Abdi , H. , and Williams , L.J. Principal Component Analysis Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Computational Statistics 433 459 2010
- van der Maaten , L. , and Hinton , G. Visualizing data using t-SNE Journal of Machine Learning Research 2579 2605 2008
- Gisbrecht , A. , Schulz , A. , and Hammer , B. Parametric Nonlinear Dimensionality Reduction Using Kernel t-SNE Neurocomputing 147) 71 82 2015
- Jain , A.K. Data Clustering: 50 Years beyond K-Means Pattern Recognition Letters 31 8 651 666 2010
- Ward , J.H. Jr. , and Hook , M.E. Application of an Hierarchical Grouping Procedure to a Problem of Grouping Profiles Educational and Psychological Measurement 69 81 1963
- Murtagh , F. , and Legendre , P. Ward’s Hierarchical Agglomerative Clustering Method: Which Algorithms Implement Ward’s Criterion? J Classif 31 3 274 295 2014 10.1007/s00357-014-9161-z
- Davies , D.L. , and Bouldin , D.W. A Cluster Separation Measure IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 2 224 227 1979
- Hartlieb , S. 2009