This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On-Road Emissions of Euro 6d-TEMP Vehicles: Consequences of the Entry into Force of the RDE Regulation in Europe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Human health and the environment are heavily impacted by air pollution. Air quality standards for Nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and particulate matter (PM) are commonly exceeded in Europe, particularly in urban areas with high density of traffic. Road transport contributed to 39% of NOx emissions, and 11% of PM emissions in the European Union (EU) in 2017. Measurements with Portable Emissions Measurement Systems (PEMS) showed that most Euro 5 and Euro 6b diesel vehicles emitted significantly more NOx on the road than their permissible limit in the laboratory type-approval test. In that context, EU Real Driving Emissions (EU-RDE) regulation aims at securing low on-road emissions of light duty vehicles under normal conditions of use. This paper assesses the tailpipe emissions performance of Euro 6d-TEMP gasoline and diesel passenger cars, type-approved after the entry into force of the RDE regulation in September 2017. Vehicles were tested by the Joint Research Centre (JRC), the in-house research center of the European Commission, on RDE-compliant and non-compliant tests with an AVL-MOVE PEMS. Gaseous emissions (NO, NO2, NOx, CO, CO2) and particle number (PN) emissions are discussed for the complete test and the respective urban, rural, and motorway sections, with emphasis on cold-start emissions. The relationship between emissions and driving dynamics is also presented. Our results indicate that in order to meet the emission limits under the wide range of RDE driving conditions, vehicle manufacturers have been forced to implement performant after-treatment systems for NOx and PN, namely Selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalysts and particle filters. It can be expected that the progressive fleet renewal from pre-RDE to post-RDE vehicles in Europe will help mitigate urban pollution and decrease the frequency of exceedances of the air quality standards.
CitationValverde Morales, V., Clairotte, M., Pavlovic, J., Giechaskiel, B. et al., "On-Road Emissions of Euro 6d-TEMP Vehicles: Consequences of the Entry into Force of the RDE Regulation in Europe," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2219, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2219.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- HEI, Health Effects Institute , “State of Global Air 2019, Special Report”, 2019, Boston, MA. ISSN 2578-6873.
- EEA, European Environment Agency , “Air quality in Europe — 2019 Report,” EEA Report 10/2019., 2019, doi:10.2800/822355.
- Pelkmans, L., and Debal, P. , “Comparison of on-Road Emissions with Emissions Measured on Chassis Dynamometer Test Cycles,” Transp. Res. D 11, 2006, doi:10.1016/j.trd.2006.04.001.
- Weiss, M., Bonnel, P., Hummel, R., Manfredi, U. et al. , “Analyzing On-Road Emissions of Light-Duty Vehicles with Portable Emission Measurement Systems (PEMS),” JRC Scientific and Technical Reports, JRC 62639, 2011, doi:10.2788/23820.
- O'Driscoll, R., Stettler, M.E.J., Molden, N., Oxley, T. et al. , “Real World CO2 and NOx Emissions from 149 Euro 5 and 6 Diesel, Gasoline and Hybrid Passenger Cars,” Sci. Total Environ. 621, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.11.271.
- Merkisz, J., and Pielecha, J. , “Comparison of Real Driving Emissions tests,” IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 421:042055, 2018, doi:10.1088/1757-899X/421/4/042055.
- Valverde, V., Adrià-Mora, B., Clairotte, M., Pavlovic, J. et al. , “Emission Factors Derived from 13 Euro 6b Light-Duty Vehicles Based on Laboratory and On-Road Measurements,” Atmosphere 10, 2019, doi:10.3390/atmos10050243.
- Bielaczyc, P., Merkisz, J., Pielecha, J., and Woodburn, J. , “A Comparison of Gaseous Emissions from a Hybrid Vehicle and a Non-Hybrid Vehicle under Real Driving Conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1272, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1272.
- Pielecha, J., Magdziak, A., and Brzeziński, L. , “Nitrogen Oxides Emission Evaluation for Euro 6 Category Vehicles Equipped with Combustion Engines of Different Displacement Volume,” IOP Conf. Ser.: Earth Environ. Sci. 214:012010, 2019, doi:10.1088/1755-1315/214/1/012010.
- Giechaskiel, B., Riccobono, F., Vlachos, T., Mendoza-Villafuerte, P. et al. , “Vehicle Emission Factors of Solid Nanoparticles in the Laboratory and on the Road Using Portable Emission Measurement Systems (PEMS),” Front. Environ. Sci. 22, 2015, doi:10.3389/fenvs.2015.00082.
- Suarez-Bertoa, R., Valverde, V., Clairotte, M., Pavlovic, J. et al. , “On-Road Emissions of Passenger Cars Beyond the Boundary Conditions of the real-Driving Emissions Test,” Environ. Res. 176, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.envres.2019.108572.
- Kontses, A., Triantafyllopoulos, G., Ntziachristos, L., and Samaras, Z. , “Particle Number (PN) Emissions from Gasoline, Diesel, LPG, CNG and Hybrid-Electric Light-Duty Vehicles Under Real-World Driving Conditions,” Atmos. Environ. 222:117126, 2020, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.117126.
- Merkisz, J., Bielaczyc, P., Pielecha, J., and Woodburn, J. , “RDE Testing of Passenger Cars: The Effect of the Cold Start on the Emissions Results,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0747, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0747.
- Demuynck, J., Favre, C., Bosteels, D., Hamje, H. et al. , “Real-World Emissions Measurements of a Gasoline Direct Injection Vehicle without and with a Gasoline Particulate Filter,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0985, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0985.
- Suarez-Bertoa, R., Lähde, T., Pavlovic, J., Valverde, V. et al. , “Laboratory and On-Road Evaluation of a GPF-Equipped Gasoline Vehicle,” Catalysts 9:678, 2019, doi:10.3390/catal9080678.
- European Commission , “Commission regulation (EU) 2017/1151 of 1 June 2017 Supplementing Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Type-Approval of Motor Vehicles with Respect to Emissions from Light Passenger and Commercial Vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on Access to Vehicle Repair and Maintenance Information, Amending Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Commission Regulation (EU) No 1230/2012 and repealing Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008”, 2017, Official Journal of the European Union. L 175.
- European Commission , “Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1154 of 7 June 2017 Amending Regulation (EU) 2017/1151 Supplementing Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Type-Approval of Motor Vehicles with Respect to Emissions from Light Passenger and Commercial Vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on Access to Vehicle Repair and Maintenance Information, Amending Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Commission Regulation (EU) No 1230/2012 and Repealing Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council as Regards Real-Driving Emissions from Light Passenger and Commercial vehicles (Euro 6)”, 2017, Official Journal of the European Union. L 175.
- Bielaczyc, P., Merkisz, J., Pielecha, J., and Woodburn, J. , “RDE-Compliant PEMS Testing of a Gasoline Euro 6d-TEMP Passenger Car at Two Ambient Temperatures with a Focus on the Cold Start Effect,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0379, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0379.
- Varella, R., Faria, M.V., Mendoza-Villafuerte, P., Baptista, P.C. et al. , “Assessing the Influence of Boundary Conditions, Driving Behavior and Data Analysis Methods on Real Driving CO2 and NOx Emissions,” Sci. Total Environ. 658, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.12.053.
- Ko, J., Myung, C.-L., and Park, S. , “Impacts of Ambient Temperature, DPF Regeneration, and Traffic Congestion on NOx Emissions from a Euro 6-Compliant Diesel Vehicle Equipped with an LNT Under Real-World Driving Conditions,” Atmospheric Environment, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2018.11.029.
- Kurtyka, K., and Pielecha, J. , “The Evaluation of Exhaust Emission in RDE Tests Including Dynamic Driving Conditions,” Transp. Res. Proc. 40, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.trpro.2019.07.050.
- Valverde, V., et al. , “Joint Research Centre 2018 Light-Duty Vehicles Emissions Testing -Contribution to the EU Market Surveillance: Testing Protocols and Vehicle Emissions Performance” EUR29897 EN, Publications Office of the European Union, Luxembourg, 2019, doi:10.2760/289100, JRC117625.
- Clairotte, M., et al. , “Joint Research Centre 2019 Light-Duty Vehicles Emissions Testing -Contribution to the EU Market Surveillance: Testing Protocols and Vehicle Emissions Performance” in Preparation.
- European Commission , “Commission Regulation (EU) 2018/1832 of 5 November 2018 Amending Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1151 for the Purpose of Improving the Emission Type Approval Tests and Procedures for Light Passenger and Commercial Vehicles, Including those for In-Service Conformity and Real-Driving Emissions and Introducing Devices for Monitoring the Consumption of Fuel and Electric Energy”, 2018, Official Journal of the European Union. L 301.
- Valverde, V., and Giechaskiel, B. , “Assessment of Gaseous and Particulate Emissions of a Euro 6d-Temp Diesel Vehicle Driven >1300 km Including Six Diesel Particulate Filter Regenerations,” Atmosphere 11, 2020, doi:10.3390/atmos 11060645.
- Pavlovic, J., Fontaras, G., Ktistakis, M., Anagnostopoulos, K. et al. , “Understanding the Origins and Variability of the Fuel Consumption Gap: Lessons Learned from Laboratory Tests and a Real-Driving Campaign,” Environ. Sci. Eur. 32, 2020, doi:10.1186/s12302-020-00338-1.
- Degraeuwe, B., Thunis, P., Clappier, A., Weiss, M. et al. , “Impact of Passenger Car NOX Emissions on Urban NO2 Pollution - Scenario Analysis for 8 European Cities,” Atmos. Environ. 171, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2017.10.040.