This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Renewable Fuel Blends on PN and SPN Emissions in a GDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
To characterize the effects of renewable fuels on particulate emissions from GDI engines, engine experiments were conducted using EN228-compliant gasoline fuel blends containing no oxygenates, 10% ethanol (EtOH), or 22% ethyl tert-butyl ether (ETBE). The experiments were conducted in a single cylinder GDI engine using a 6-hole fuel injector operated at 200 bar injection pressure. Both PN in raw exhaust and solid PN (SPN) were measured at two load points and various start of injection (SOI) timings. Raw PN and SPN results were classified into various size ranges, corresponding to current and future legislations.
At early SOI timings, where particulate formation is dominated by diffusion flames on the piston due to liquid film, the oxygenated blends yielded dramatically higher PN and SPN emissions than reference gasoline because of fuel effects.
For particulates >23 nm and with optimized SOI timing, the use of oxygenated blends significantly increases SPN and conversely decreases raw PN emissions at low load (4.5 bar IMEP). At high load (9 bar IMEP), overall SPN emissions were significantly higher and there were no clear differences between the blends. Additionally, SPN measurements showed that soot formation and emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOC) depended strongly on blend composition.
Finally, adding oxygenates (up to 22%) to gasoline did not reduce emissions of SPN in the size ranges addressed by current regulations.
CitationEtikyala, S., Koopmans, L., and Dahlander, P., "Effect of Renewable Fuel Blends on PN and SPN Emissions in a GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2199, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2199.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- I. Assessment 2015
- Claxton , L.D. The History, Genotoxicity, and Carcinogenicity of Carbon-Based Fuels and Their Emissions: Part 5. Summary, Comparisons, and Conclusions Mutat. Res. - Rev. Mutat. Res. 763 103 147 2015
- Du , Y. , Xu , X. , Chu , M. , Guo , Y. , et al. Air Particulate Matter and Cardiovascular Disease: The Epidemiological, Biomedical and Clinical Evidence J. Thorac. Dis. 8 1 E8 E19 Jan. 2016
- Maione , M. , et al. Air Quality and Climate change: Designing New Win-Win Policies for Europe Environ. Sci. Policy 65 48 57 2016
- Überall , A. , Otte , R. , Eilts , P. , and Krahl , J. A Literature Research about Particle Emissions from Engines with Direct Gasoline Injection and the Potential to Reduce These Emissions Fuel 147 x 203 207 2015
- Chan , T.W. , Meloche , E. , Kubsh , J. , and Brezny , R. Black Carbon Emissions in Gasoline Exhaust and a Reduction Alternative with a Gasoline Particulate Filter Environ. Sci. Technol. 48 10 6027 6034 2014
- Johnson , T. and Joshi , A. 2017 1 23
- Minjares , R.J. , and Sanchez , F.P. Estimated Cost of Gasoline Particulate Filters Int. Counc. Clean Transp. Pap. 8 2011
- Cassee , F.R. , et al. Exposure, Health and Ecological Effects Review of Engineered Nanoscale Cerium and Cerium Oxide Associated with Its Use as a Fuel Additive Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 41 3 213 229 2011
- Guerrero Peña , G.D.J. , Hammid , Y.A. , Raj , A. , Stephen , S. , et al. On the Characteristics and Reactivity of Soot Particles from Ethanol-Gasoline and 2,5-Dimethylfuran-Gasoline Blends Fuel 222 November 2017 42 55 2018
- Lemaire , R. , Therssen , E. , and Desgroux , P. Effect of Ethanol Addition in Gasoline and Gasoline-Surrogate on Soot Formation in Turbulent Spray Flames Fuel 89 12 3952 3959 2010
- Lemaire , R. , Lapalme , D. , and Seers , P. Analysis of the Sooting Propensity of C-4 and C-5 Oxygenates: Comparison of Sooting Indexes Issued from Laser-Based Experiments and Group Additivity Approaches Combust. Flame 162 9 3140 3155 2015
- Gogoi , B. , et al. Effects of 2,5-Dimethylfuran Addition to Diesel on Soot Nanostructures and Reactivity Fuel 159 766 775 2015
- Bae , C. , and Kim , J. Alternative Fuels for Internal Combustion Engines Proc. Combust. Inst. 36 3 3389 3413 2017
- Wyman , C.E. , and Hinman , N.D. Ethanol Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 24 1 735 753 Mar. 1990
- Ramadhas , A.S. , Singh , P.K. , Sakthivel , P. , Mathai , R. , et al. Effect of Ethanol-Gasoline Blends on Combustion and Emissions of a Passenger Car Engine at Part Load Operations International Mobility Conference 2016
- Matti Maricq , M. Soot Formation in Ethanol/Gasoline Fuel Blend Diffusion Flames Combust. Flame 2012
- Khosousi , A. , et al. Experimental and Numerical Study of Soot Formation in Laminar Coflow Diffusion Flames of Gasoline/Ethanol Blends Combust. Flame 2015
- Salamanca , M. , Sirignano , M. , Commodo , M. , Minutolo , P. , et al. The Effect of Ethanol on the Particle Size Distributions in Ethylene Premixed Flames Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci. 2012
- Wallace , G. , Blondy , J. , Mirabella , W. , Schulte-Körne , E. , et al. Ethyl Tertiary Butyl Ether - A Review of the Technical Literature SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 940 952 2009 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1951
- Giechaskiel , B. , Manfredi , U. , and Martini , G. Engine Exhaust Solid Sub-23 nm Particles: I. Literature Survey SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7 3 950 964 2014 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2834
- Johnson , T. , and Joshi , A. Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions SAE Int. J. Engines 11 6 1307 1330 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0352
- Regulation No. 83
- Etikyala , S. , Koopmans , L. , and Dahlander , P. Particulate Emissions in a GDI with an Upstream Fuel Source Warrendale, PA SAE International 2019
- Zhang , Z. , Wang , T. , Jia , M. , Wei , Q. , et al. Combustion and Particle Number Emissions of a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Operating on Ethanol/Gasoline and n-Butanol/gasoline Blends with Exhaust Gas Recirculation Fuel 2014
- Leach , F.C.P. , et al. The Effect of Oxygenate Fuels on PN Emissions from a Highly Boosted GDI Engine Fuel 225 March 277 286 2018
- Leach , F. , Stone , R. , Davy , M. , and Richardson , D. 2010
- Raza , M. , Chen , L. , Leach , F. , and Ding , S. A Review of Particulate Number (PN) Emissions from Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) Engines and Their Control Techniques Energies 11 June 2018