This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
RDE Plus - A Road to Rig Development Methodology for Whole Vehicle RDE Compliance: Engine-in-the-Loop and Virtual Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The effects of driving style, traffic density and altitude on engine performance and emissions across multiple Real Driving Emissions (RDE) cycles were investigated using an Engine-in-the-Loop (EiL) strategy combined with a virtual toolset comprised of a virtual route, vehicle and driver. This is part of HORIBA’s Road to Rig (R2R) RDE Plus (RDE+) programme for whole vehicle RDE compliance.
An offline Design of Experiments (DoE) methodology was used to first parameterise a driver model to achieve a defined definition of driving style across the virtualised RDE route (itself created from an equivalent real RDE route) incorporating fixed traffic then for a fixed driving style with varying traffic density. By performing these scenario-based simulations in an offline format initially, complete compliance with RDE regulations for each of the scenarios being investigated could be achieved without the need for intensive testbed testing. Once offline driving style and traffic scenarios were developed and verified for RDE conformity, these were transferred to the EiL using an equivalent testbed specific virtual toolset in order to resolve cycle performance and emissions of the engine and vehicle.
There was a marked difference in engine out and tailpipe out emissions when driving style and traffic density were varied. These results therefore served to highlight the need for robust engine and vehicle calibrations in order to achieve RDE compliance, especially considering all driving scenarios tested complied with Euro 6d package 4 RDE regulations with the vehicle also operating within the moderate and extended RDE boundary conditions.
When the virtual RDE route was offset in altitude, there was a significant difference in engine out and tailpipe performance and emissions. By using the virtual tools and EiL methodologies defined here, a frontloading approach could therefore be adopted to ensure that appropriate technologies are specified during engine and vehicle development to ensure the engine and vehicle meet emissions legislation before prototype vehicles and physical testing is required.
This paper is the fourth in a series of technical papers from HORIBA on the RDE+ programme. It follows SAE Technical Papers 2019-01-0756, 2020-01-0376 and 2020-01-0378.
CitationRoberts, P., Mason, A., Tabata, K., and Whelan, S., "RDE Plus - A Road to Rig Development Methodology for Whole Vehicle RDE Compliance: Engine-in-the-Loop and Virtual Tools," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2183, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2183.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
|Unnamed Dataset 9|
|Unnamed Dataset 10|
|Unnamed Dataset 11|
|Unnamed Dataset 12|
- European Environment Agency (EEA) Air Quality in Europe - 2019 Report 2019
- Bernard , Y. Current Situation and Perspectives on Vehicles Real-World Emissions ICCT Europe 2019
- Grelier , F. Cars with Engines: Can They Ever Be Clean? Transport and Environment 2018
- Ligterink , N.E. , and van Mensch , P. Assessment of Risks for Elevated NOx Emissions of Diesel Vehicles Outside the Boundaries of RDE 2017
- ADAC Clean Diesels: Euro 6d Temp Models Tested | ADAC https://www.adac.de/verkehr/abgas-diesel-fahrverbote/abgasnorm/test-euro-6d-temp
- Dimaratos , A. , Triantafyllopoulos , G. , Ntziachristos , C. , and Samaras , Z. Real-World Emissions Testing on Four Vehicle ICCT Europe 2017
- Moody , A. , and Tate , J. In Service CO 2 and NOx Emissions of Euro6/VI Cars, Light-and-Heavy-dutygoods Vehicles in Real London Driving: Taking the Road into the Laboratory Journal of Earth Sciences and Geotechnical Engineering 7 1 51 62 2017
- Suarez-Bertoa , R. , Valverde , V. , Clairotte , M. , Pavlovic , J. et al. On-road Emissions of Passenger Cars Beyond the Boundary Conditions of the Real-Driving Emissions Test Environmental Research 176 108572 2019 10.1016/j.envres.2019.108572
- Dieselnet Emissions Standards Europe: Cars and Light Trucks https://dieselnet.com/standards/eu/ld.php
- Continental Automotive GmbH 2019
- Bernard , Y. , German , J. , and Muncrief , R. Worldwide Use of Remote Sensing to Measure Motor Vehicle Emissions ICCT 2019
- Woopen , H. Remote Sensing: Measuring Emissions from Cars as they Drive By st 2018
- Andrews , G.E. , Li , H. , Hadavi , A. , and Khalfan , A. rd 2015
- Ko , J. , Myung , C.L. , and Park , S. Impacts of Ambient Temperature, DPF Regeneration and Traffic Congestion on NOx Emissions from a Euro-6 Compliant Diesel Vehicle Equipped with an LNT under Real-world Driving Conditions Atmospheric Environment 200 1 14 2019 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2018.11.029
- Mera , Z. , Fonseca , N. , López , J.M. , and Casanova , J. Analysis of the High Instantaneous NOx Emissions from Euro 6 Diesel Passenger Cars under Real Driving Conditions Applied Energy 242 1074 1089 2019 10.1016/j.apenergy.2019.03.120
- Khalfan , A. , Andrews , G. , and Li , H. Real World Driving Emissions in Highly Congested Traffic SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2388 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2388
- Ghazikhani , M. , Feyz , M.E. , Mahian , O. , and Sabazadeh , A. Effects of Altitude on the Soot Emission and Fuel Consumption of a Light-Duty Diesel Engine Transport 28 2 130 139 2013 10.3846/16484142.2013.798743
- Wang , H. , Ge , Y. , Hao , L. , Xu , X. et al. The Real Driving Emission Characteristics of Light-Duty Diesel Vehicle at Various Altitude Atmospheric Environment 191 126 131 2018 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2018.07.060
- Giraldo , M. , and Huertas , J.I. Real Emissions, Driving Patterns and Fuel Consumption of in-use Diesel Buses Operating at High Altitude Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 77 21 36 2019 10.1016/j.trd.2019.10.004
- Broatch , A. , Bermúdez , V. , Serrano , J.R. , Tabet Aleixandre , R. et al. Analysis of Passenger Car Turbocharged Diesel Engines Performance When Tested at Altitude and of the Altitude Simulator Device Used ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference 2018 10.1115/ICEF2018-9549
- Lin , C.Y. , and Jeng , Y.L. Influences of Charge Air Humidity and Temperature on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engines Journal of Ship Research 40 2 172 177 1996
- Asad , U. , Kelly , C. , Wang , M. , and Tjong , J. Effects of Intake Air Humidity on the NOX Emissions and Performance of a Light-Duty Diesel Engine ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference 2012 10.1115/ICEF2012-92027
- Suarez-Bertoa , R. , and Astorga , C. Impact of Cold Temperature on Euro 6 Passenger Car Emissions Environmental Pollution 234 318 329 2018 10.1016/j.envpol.2017.10.096
- Kwon , S. , Park , Y. , Park , J. , Kim , J. et al. Characteristics of On-road NOx Emissions from Euro 6 Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles Using a Portable Emissions Measurement System Science of the Total Environment 576 70 77 2017 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.10.101
- Costagliola , M.A. , Costabile , M. , and Prati , V.D. Impact of Road Grade on Real Driving Emissions from Two Euro 5 Diesel Vehicles Applied Energy 231 586 593 2018 10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.09.108
- Triantafyllopoulos , G. , Dimaratos , A. , Ntziachristos , L. , Bernard , Y. et al. A Study on the CO 2 and NOx Emissions Performance of Euro 6 Diesel Vehicles under Various Chassis Dynamometer and On-road Conditions Including Latest Regulatory Provisions Science of the Total Environment 666 337 346 2019 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.02.144
- Roberts , P.J. , Mumby , R. , Mason , A. , Redford-Knight , L. , and Kaur , P. RDE Plus - The Development of a Road, Rig and Engine-in-the-Loop Methodology for Real Driving Emissions Compliance SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0756 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0756
- Roberts , P.J. , Mason , A. , Whelan , S. , Tabata , K. et al. RDE Plus - A Road to Rig Development Methodology for Whole Vehicle RDE Compliance: Overview SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0376 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0376
- Mason , A. , Roberts , P.J. , Whelan , S. , Kondo , Y. , and Breton , L. RDE Plus - A Road to Rig Development Methodology for Whole Vehicle RDE Compliance: Road to Chassis Perspective SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0378 2020 https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0378
- European Commission Commission Regulation (EU) 2017/1154 of 7 June 2017 Amending Regulation (EU) 2017/1151 Supplementing Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council on Type-Approval of Motor Vehicles with Respect to Emissions from Light Passenger and Commercial Vehicle (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on Access to Vehicle Repair and Maintenance Information, Amending Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Commission Regulation (EC) No 1230/2012 and Repealing Regulation (EC) No 692/2008 and Directive 2007/46/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council as Regards Real-Driving Emissions Light Passenger and Commercial Vehicle (Euro 6) Official Journal of the European Union 2017
- Zulehner , W. 2019
- IPGDriver User Manual Version 8.1
- Yan , S. , and Piecha , P. The Virtualization of the Engine Development Process Regarding Emissions and Fuel Consumption 8 th International Motor Congress 2021, Paper in Preparation
- 1975 1975