This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Butanol and Nano Titanium Oxide into Non Edible Cotton Seed Oil Biodiesel on the Performance of CI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Nonedible oil biodiesels and alcohols are the available renewable resources (liquid fuels) to reduce the dependency of diesel to fuel compression ignition engine. This experimental investigation is to study the performance of compression ignition engine fueled with blends of non-edible cottonseed oil biodiesel and butanol with the assistance of nano Titanium oxide in various proportions. Initially, a solubility and property testing of various proportions of biodiesel and butanol were performed to obtain an optimal blend possessing similar properties in comparison to that of diesel. This optimal blend was ultrasonicated with nano titanium oxide (0-100ppm). The addition of titanium oxide nano into biodiesel butanol blends was attractive and it improved the essential properties. Results of the property testing showed that 35% butanol can be blended with biodiesel to obtain blend possessing similar properties in comparison to that of diesel. In-cylinder peak pressure and thermal efficiency produced by the biodiesel butanol blend containing 50 ppm of nano titanium oxide were found higher in comparison to that of diesel. Emissions of oxides of nitrogen, smoke, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbon produced by this blend were also found significantly lower compared to that of diesel. This was due to the inclusion of nano titanium oxide into the blend.
CitationB, P., "Influence of Butanol and Nano Titanium Oxide into Non Edible Cotton Seed Oil Biodiesel on the Performance of CI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2134, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2134.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Ogunkunle, O., and Ahmed, N.A. , “A Review of Global Current Scenario of Biodiesel Adoption and Combustion in Vehicular Diesel Engines,” Energy Reports 5:1560-1579, 2019.
- Oni, B.A., and Oluwatosin, D. , “Emission Characteristics and Performance of Neem Seed (Azadirachtaindica) and Camelina (Camelina sativa) Based Biodiesel in Diesel Engine,” Renewable Energy 149:725-734, 2020.
- Sorate, K.A., and Bhale, P.V. , “Corrosion Behavior of Automotive Materials with Biodiesel: A Different Approach,” SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 11(2):147-162, 2018.
- Krivopolianskii, V., Bjørgen, K., Emberson, D., Ushakov, S. et al. , “Experimental Study of Ignition Delay, Combustion, and NO Emission Characteristics of Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 12(1):29-42, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/04-12-01-0002.
- Cavalcanti, E.J.C., Carvalho, M., and Ochoa, A.A.V. , “Exergoeconomic and Exergoenvironmental Comparison of Diesel-Biodiesel Blends in a Direct Injection Engine at Variable Loads,” Energy Conversion and Management 183:450-461, 2019.
- Mofijur, M., Rasul, M., Hassan, N.M.S., and Uddin, M.N. , “Investigation of Exhaust Emissions from a Stationary Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel,” Energy Procedia 160:791-797, 2019.
- İlker, T., Cihan, Ö., and Eskici, B. , “Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Biodiesel/Diesel Fuel on Combustion Characteristics in CI Engine,” Fuel 270:117523, 2020.
- Ibrahim, Y., Açıkkalp, E., Caliskan, H., and Mori, K. , “Environmental Pollution Cost Analyses of Biodiesel and Diesel Fuels for a Diesel Engine,” Journal of Environmental Management 243:218-226, 2019.
- Devarajan, Y., Beemkumar, N., Ganesan, S., and Arunkumar, T. , “An Experimental Study on the Influence of an Oxygenated Additive in Diesel Engine Fuelled with Neat Papaya Seed Biodiesel/Diesel Blends,” Fuel 268:117254, 2020.
- Selçuk, S., Örs, İ., and Ünalan, S. , “An Experimental Study on Energy-Exergy Analysis and Sustainability Index in a Diesel Engine with Direct Injection Diesel-Biodiesel-Butanol Fuel Blends,” Fuel 268:117321, 2020.
- Turkcan, A. , “The effects of Different Types of Biodiesels and Biodiesel-Bioethanol-Diesel Blends on the Cyclic Variations and Correlation Coefficient,” Fuel 261:116453, 2020.
- Gao, T., Reader, G., Tjong, J., and Zheng, M. , “Energy Efficiency Comparison between Butanol and Ethanol Combustion with Diesel Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0859, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0859.
- Engelmann, D., Czerwinski, J., Nauroy lng, H., Comte, P. et al. , “Use of Butanol Blend Fuels on Diesel Engines - Effects on Combustion and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0333, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0333.
- Zoldy, M., Hollo, A., and Thernesz, A. , “Butanol as a Diesel Extender Option for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0481, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0481.
- Karthikeyan, P., and Viswanath, G. , “Effect of Titanium Oxide Nanoparticles in Tamanu Biodiesel Operated in A Two Cylinder Diesel Engine,” Materials Today: Proceedings 22(2020):776-780.
- Hosseinzadeh-Bandbafha, H., Tabatabaei, M., Aghbashlo, M., Khanali, M. et al. , “Consolidating Emission Indices of a Diesel Engine Powered by Carbon Nanoparticle-Doped Diesel/Biodiesel Emulsion Fuels Using Life Cycle Assessment Framework,” Fuel 267:117296, 2020.
- Hoseini, S.S., Najafi, G., Ghobadian, B., Ebadi, M.T. et al. , “Biodiesels from Three Feedstock: The Effect of Graphene Oxide (GO) Nanoparticles Diesel Engine Parameters Fuelled with Biodiesel,” Renewable Energy 145:190-201, 2020.
- Elkelawy, M., Etaiw, S.E.-d.H., Bastawissi, H.A.-E., Marie, H. et al. , “Study of Diesel-Biodiesel Blends Combustion and Emission Characteristics in a CI Engine by Adding Nanoparticles of Mn (II) Supramolecular Complex,” Atmospheric Pollution Research 11(1):117-128, 2020.
- Gad, M.S., and Jayaraj, S. , “A Comparative Study on the Effect of Nano-Additives on the Performance and Emissions of a Diesel Engine Run on Jatropha biodiesel,” Fuel 267:117168, 2020.
- Pandey, A., Nandgaonkar, M., Suresh, S., and Varghese, A. , “The Effect of Cerium Oxide Nano Particles Fuel Additive on Performance, Combustion, NOx Reduction and Nano Particle Emission of Karanja and Jatropha Biodiesel in a Military 585 kW CIDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0262, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0262.
- Hansen, A.C., Zhang, Q., and Lyne, P.W.L. , “Ethanol-Diesel Fuel Blends--a Review,” Bioresource Technology 96(3):277-285, 2005.
- Holman, J.P. and Gajda, W.J. , 2001, Experimental Methods for Engineers (4). New York: McGraw-Hill.