This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Injection Pressure Fluctuations Employing Alternative Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Injection pressure oscillations are proven to determine considerable deviations from the expected mass flow rate, leading to the jet velocities non-uniformity, which in turn implies the uneven spatial distribution of A/F ratio. Furthermore, once the injector is triggered, these oscillations might lead the rail pressure to experience a decreasing stage, to the detriment of spray penetration length, radial propagation and jet break-up timing. This has urged the research community to develop models predicting injection-induced pressure fluctuations within the rail. Additionally, several devices have been designed to minimize and eliminate such fluctuations. However, despite the wide literature dealing with the injection-induced pressure oscillations, many aspects remain still unclear. Moreover, the compulsory compliance with environmental regulations has shifted focus onto alternative fuels, which represent a promising pathway for sustainable vehicle mobility. This scenario has motivated the authors to undertake an experimental campaign devoted to assess the rail pressure fluctuations employing neat diesel and two furan-based blends under various injection settings. The blends are referred as MF30 and MF50, given the volumetric composition of 30% and 50% of 2-methylfuran, respectively. The paper describes the technical and scientific details of the research activity, which aims to provide a further insight into the correlation of rail pressure fluctuations with fuel properties.
CitationCoratella, C., Parry, L., and Xu, H., "Experimental Investigation of Injection Pressure Fluctuations Employing Alternative Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2122, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2122.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
- Amirante, R., Distaso, E., Napolitano, M., Tamburrano, P. et al. , “Effects of Lubricant Oil on Particulate Emissions from Port-Fuel and Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engines,” International Journal of Engine Research 18(5–6):606–6 20, 2017.
- Distaso, E., Amirante, R., Calò, G., De Palma, P. et al. , “Investigation of Lubricant Oil influence on Ignition of Gasoline-like Fuels by a Detailed Reaction Mechanism,” Energy Procedia 148:663–6 70, 2018.
- Amirante, R., Distaso, E., Tamburrano, P., and Reitz, R.D. , “Analytical Correlations for Modelling the Laminar Flame Speed of Natural Gas Surrogate Mixtures,” Energy Procedia 126:850–8 57, 2017.
- Amirante, R., Distaso, E., Tamburrano, P., and Reitz, R.D. , “Measured and Predicted Soot Particle Emissions from Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2518 , 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2518.
- Distaso, E., Amirante, R., Tamburrano, P., and Reitz, R.D. , “Steady-State Characterization of Particle Number Emissions from a Heavy-Duty Euro VI Engine Fueled with Compressed Natural Gas,” Energy Procedia 148:671–6 78, 2018.
- Amirante, R., Casavola, C., Distaso, E., and Tamburrano, P. , “Towards the Development of the In-cylinder Pressure Measurement Based on the Strain Gauge Technique for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2419 , 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-24-2419.
- Amirante, R., Coratella, C., Distaso, E., and Tamburrano, P. , “A Small Size Combined System for the Production of Energy from Renewable Sources and Unconventional Fuels,” Energy Procedia 81:240–2 48, 2015.
- Torkzadeh, D.D., Kiencke, U., and Keppler, M. , “Introduction of a New Non-invasive Pressure Sensor for Common-Rail Systems,” SAE Transactions 1374–1 383, 2002.
- Amirante, R., Catalano, L.A., and Coratella, C. , “A New Optical Sensor for the Measurement of the Displacement of the Needle in a Common Rail Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0146 , 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0146.
- Amirante, R., Coratella, C., Distaso, E., Rossini, G., and Tamburrano, P. , “Optical Device for Measuring the Injectors Opening in Common Rail Systems,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 18(4):729–7 42, 2017.
- Coratella, C., Parry, L., Sahu, A. and Xu, H. , 2019, September. Optical Sensor for the Needle Lift Detection in the Common Rail Injector. In 14th International Conference on Engines & Vehicles Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) (No. 2019-24-0193).
- Ubertini, S. , “Injection Pressure Fluctuations Model Applied to a Multidimensional Code for Diesel Engines Simulation,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 128(3):694–7 01, 2006.
- Beierer, P., Huhtala, K., Lehto, E., and Vilenius, M. , “Study of the Impact of System Characteristics on Pressure Oscillations in a Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0910 , 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0910.
- Catalano, L.A., Tondolo, V.A., and Dadone, A. , “Dynamic Rise of Pressure in the Common-Rail Fuel Injection System,” SAE Transactions 538–5 44, 2002.
- de Risi, A., Naccarato, F. and Laforgia, D. , 2005. Experimental Analysis of Common Rail Pressure Wave Effect on Engine Emissions, SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0373 , https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0373.
- Catania, A.E., Ferrari, A., Manno, M., and Spessa, E. , “Experimental Investigation of Dynamics Effects on Multiple-Injection Common Rail System Performance,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 130(3):032806, 2008.
- Catania, A.E., Ferrari, A., and Manno, M. , “Development and Application of a Complete Multijet Common-Rail Injection-System Mathematical Model for Hydrodynamic Analysis and Diagnostics,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 130(6):062809, 2008.
- Pontoppidan, M., Ausiello, F., Bella, G., and Ubertini, S. , “Study of the Impact on the Spray Shape Stability and the Combustion Process of Supply Pressure Fluctuations in CR-Diesel Injectors,” SAE Transactions 15–4 1, 2004.
- Herfatmanesh, M.R., Peng, Z., Ihracska, A., Lin, Y. et al. , “Characteristics of Pressure Wave in Common Rail Fuel Injection System of High-Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engines,” Advances in Mechanical Engineering 8(5):1687814016648246, 2016.
- Amirante, R., Catalano, L.A., Dadone, A., and Lombardo, V. , “On the Use of Fast-Response Pressure Transducers in a Common-Rail Diesel Injection System,” In: ASME 8th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, (American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006, January), 517–5 25.
- Hong, S., Shin, J., Park, I., Sunwoo, M. et al. , “Robust Common Rail Pressure Control Algorithm for Light-Duty Diesel Engines,” IFAC Proceedings Volumes 46(21):717–7 22, 2013.
- Wang, H.P., Zheng, D., and Tian, Y. , “High Pressure Common Rail Injection System Modeling and Control,” ISA Transactions 63:265–2 73, 2016.
- Gupta, V.K., Zhang, Z., and Sun, Z. , “Modeling and Control of a Novel Pressure Regulation Mechanism for Common Rail Fuel Injection Systems,” Applied Mathematical Modelling 35(7):3473–3 483, 2011.
- Li, P., Zhang, Y., Li, T., and Xie, L. , “Elimination of Fuel Pressure Fluctuation and Multi-injection Fuel Mass Deviation of High Pressure Common-Rail Fuel Injection System,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering 28(2):294–3 06, 2015.
- Robinson, B., Bennett, J. and Kilgore, J., Siemens Automotive Corp , 1998. Bellows Pressure Pulsation Damper. U.S. Patent 5,845,621.
- Kawano, T., Yoshinaga, T., Tanaka, K., Kanehara, K., Nakase, Y., Takeyama, M., Sugiura, Y., Aoyama, K. and Imamura, T., Toyota Motor Corp and Soken Inc , 2002. Fuel Supply System for Relieving Fuel Pressure Pulsations and Designing Method Thereof, U.S. Patent 6,401,691.
- Usui, S., Tamura, S., Miyazaki, K., Takahashi, S., Suganami, M. and Hashida, M., Hitachi Ltd , 2013. Mechanism for Restraining Fuel Pressure Pulsation and High Pressure Fuel Supply Pump of Internal Combustion Engine with Such Mechanism, U.S. Patent 8,393,881.
- Kilgore, J.T. and Robinson, B.S., Siemens Automotive Corp , 2001. Fuel Pressure Dampening Element, U.S. Patent 6,314,942.
- Tsuchiya, H., Ogata, T., Mizuno, K., Takikawa, K., Serizawa, Y., Imura, I. and Nishizawa, H., Usui Kokusai Sangyo Kaisha Ltd , 2005. Fuel Pressure Pulsation Suppressing System, U.S. Patent 6,901,913.
- Eshleman, E.S. and Shuler, D.C., Motors Liquidation Co , 1997. Fuel rail, U.S. Patent 5,617,827.
- Román-Leshkov, Y., Barrett, C.J., Liu, Z.Y., and Dumesic, J.A. , “Production of di2-methylfuran for Liquid Fuels from Biomass-Derived Carbohydrates,” Nature 447(7147):982, 2007.
- Dumesic, J., Roman, L. and Chheda, J. , Catalytic Process for Producing Furan Derivatives from Carbohydrates in a Biphasic Reactor: US, 20080033188.
- Román-Leshkov, Y. , 2009. Biomass-Derived Furanic Compounds for the Production of Fuels and Chemical Intermediates.
- Zhao, H., Holladay, J.E., Brown, H., and Zhang, Z.C. , “Metal Chlorides in Ionic Liquid Solvents Convert Sugars to 5-hydroxymethylfurfural,” Science 316(5831):1597–1 600, 2007.
- Thewes, M., Muether, M., Pischinger, S., Budde, M. et al. , “Analysis of the Impact of 2-methylfuran on Mixture Formation and Combustion in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” Energy & Fuels 25(12):5549–5 561, 2011.
- Wang, C., Xu, H., Daniel, R., Ghafourian, A. et al. , “Combustion Characteristics and Emissions of 2-methylfuran Compared to 2, 5-di2-methylfuran, Gasoline and Ethanol in a DISI Engine,” Fuel 103:200–2 11, 2013.
- Wang, C., Xu, H., and Lattimore, T. , “Impacts of Low-Level 2-methylfuran Content in Gasoline on DISI Engine Combustion Behavior and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1317 , 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1317.
- Hoppe, F., Burke, U., Thewes, M., Heufer, A. et al. , “Tailor-Made Fuels from Biomass: Potentials of 2-butanone and 2-methylfuran in Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines,” Fuel 167:106–1 17, 2016.
- Wu, X., Huang, Z., Jin, C., Wang, X. et al. , “Measurements of Laminar Burning Velocities and Markstein Lengths of 2, 5-di2-methylfuran− Air− Diluent Premixed Flames,” Energy & Fuels 23(9):4355–4 362, 2009.
- Wu, X., Huang, Z., Yuan, T., Zhang, K., and Wei, L. , “Identification of Combustion Intermediates in a Low-Pressure Premixed Laminar 2, 5-di2-methylfuran/oxygen/argon Flame with Tunable Synchrotron Photoionization,” Combustion and Flame 156(7):1365–1 376, 2009.
- Tian, G., Daniel, R., Li, H., Xu, H. et al. , “Laminar Burning Velocities of 2, 5-dimethylfuran Compared with Ethanol and Gasoline,” Energy & Fuels 24(7):3898–3 905, 2010.
- Wang, Z., Ding, H., Wyszynski, M.L., Tian, J., and Xu, H. , “Experimental Study on Diesel Fuel Injection Characteristics under Cold Start Conditions with Single and Split Injection Strategies,” Fuel Processing Technology 131:213–2 22, 2015.
- Esteban, B., Riba, J.R., Baquero, G., Rius, A., and Puig, R. , “Temperature Dependence of Density and Viscosity of Vegetable Oils,” Biomass and Bioenergy 42:164–1 71, 2012.
- Jężak, S., Dzida, M., and Zorębski, M. , “High Pressure Physicochemical Properties of 2-methylfuran and 2, 5-dimethylfuran-Second Generation Biofuels,” Fuel 184:334–3 43, 2016.
- Shames, I.H., and Shames, I.H. , Mechanics of Fluids. Vol. 2 (New York: McGraw-Hill, 1982).
- Díaz, R.M., Bernardo, M.I., Fernández, A.M., and Folgueras, M.B. , “Prediction of the Viscosity of Lubricating Oil Blends at Any Temperature,” Fuel 75(5):574–5 78, 1996.
- Roegiers, M., and Zhmud, B. , “Property Blending Relationships for Binary Mixtures of Mineral Oil and Elektrionised Vegetable Oil: Viscosity, Solvent Power, and Seal Compatibility Index,” Lubrication Science 23(6):263–2 78, 2011.
- Zhmud, B. , 2014. Viscosity Blending Equations. Lube-Tech-The European Lubricants Industry Magazine, 98, pp.1–4 .
- Rahmes, M.H., and Nelson, W.L. , “Viscosity Blending Relationships of Heavy Petroleum Oils,” Analytical Chemistry 20(10):912–9 15, 1948.
- Heric, E.L., and Brewer, J.G. , “Viscosity of Some Binary Liquid Nonelectrolyte Mixtures,” Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data 12(4):574–5 83, 1967.
- Wang, C., Sahu, A., Coratella, C., Xu, C. et al. , “Spray Characteristics of a Gasoline-Diesel Blend (ULG75) Using High-Speed Imaging Techniques,” Fuel 239:677–6 92, 2019.
- Das, M., Sarkar, M., Datta, A., and Santra, A.K. , “Study on Viscosity and Surface Tension Properties of Biodiesel-Diesel Blends and Their Effects on Spray Parameters for CI Engines,” Fuel 220:769–7 79, 2018.
- da Silva, J.L. Jr, and Aznar, M. (2014). Thermophysical Properties of 2, 5-dimethylfuran and Liquid-Liquid Equilibria of Ternary Systems Water+ 2, 5-dimethylfuran+ Alcohols (1-butanol or 2-butanol or 1-hexanol), Fuel, 136, 316–3 25.
- Mejía, A., Segura, H., and Cartes, M. , “Isobaric Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium and Isothermal Interfacial Tensions for the System Ethanol+ 2, 5-dimethylfuran,” Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 58(11):3226–3 232, 2013.
- Lomba, L., Giner, B., Lopéz, M.C., Aldea, L., and Lafuente, C. , “Thermophysical Properties of Furfural Compounds,” Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data 59(2):329–3 38, 2014.
- Thewes, M. et al. , “Analysis of the Impact of 2-methylfuran on Mixture Formation and Combustion in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine,” Energy & Fuels 25(12):5549–5 561, 2011.