This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle-Resolved Evaluation of Directly Injected Methane Using a High-Speed Laser-Induced Fluorescence Measurement System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 15, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The usage of alternative fuels inside internal combustion engines (ICE), is one promising approach to meet the higher requirements concerning the efficiency and emission of modern combustion systems. The injection and mixture formation of such fuels has a major impact on the subsequent combustion as well as the formation of pollutants. To rate the influence and to gain a better understanding of those new alternatives a basic understanding of these dominant processes is mandatory. The principle of laser-induced fluorescence (LIF) is a well-known method to display and evaluate fuel distributions inside combustion chambers. A suiting online calibration routine allows the visualization of air-fuel equivalence ratio (λ) two-dimensionally during different operation modes. As cyclic variations can become a more critical issue while using alternative fuels, cycle- resolved test series become more and more important. To obtain several crank-angle-resolved measurements during one cycle as well as comparisons from cycle to cycle is crucial to understand the ongoing processes inside ICE for further improvements in research and development. Therefore, this study describes the development and application of a new optical measurement system to record the λ-distribution quantitatively with high spatial and temporal resolution inside an optically accessible single cylinder research engine. Based on a BMW diesel engine, the experimental apparatus is modified to inject gaseous methane directly into the cylinder using a HDEV4-based 8-hole valve. A variation of operation parameters, such as engine speed, injection pressure and injection timing, is conducted while the fuel distribution is recorded along the spray propagation. Corrections for the light sheet shape as well as pulse to pulse energy fluctuations of the laser pulses complement the High-Speed LIF-system with repetition rates up to 3 kHz using a single Nd:YAG-laser.
CitationGeiger, M., Zoellner, C., and Brueggemann, D., "Cycle-Resolved Evaluation of Directly Injected Methane Using a High-Speed Laser-Induced Fluorescence Measurement System," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-2106, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-2106.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Dronniou , N. , Kashdan , J. , Lecointe , B. , Sauve , K. et al. Optical Investigation of Dual-fuel CNG/Diesel Combustion Strategies to Reduce CO2 Emissions 7 873 887 2014
- van Basshuysen , R. Erdgas und erneuerbares Methan für den Fahrzeugantrieb Wiesbaden Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden 2015 978-3-658-07158-5
- Kim , D. , and Bae , C. Application of Double-Injection Strategy on Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine under Low LOAD Condition Fuel 203 Supplement C 792 801 2017 10.1016/j.fuel.2017.04.107
- Apeloig , J. , Salaün , E. , Grisch , F. , Yvonnet , C.-E. et al. 2016
- Gharehghani , A. , Mirsalim , M. , Jazayeri , A. , and Hosseini , R. Experimental Study on Low Temperature Combustion Dual Fuel Biodiesel/Natural Gas Engine ASME 2015 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference 2015
- Durão , D.F.G. Combusting flow diagnostics: Proceedings of the NATO Advanced Study Institute on Combusting Flow Diagnostics, Montechoro, Algarve, Portugal, 16-27 April 1990 NATO ASI Series E, Applied Sciences 207 Dordrecht Kluwer 1992 0792315219
- Donges , A. , and Noll , R. Laser Measurement Technology: Fundamentals and Applications Springer Series in Optical Sciences 188 Heidelberg Springer 2015 978-3-662-43633-2
- Lackner , M. Handbook of combustion: 5 volumes Hoboken, NJ Wiley Interscience 2010 9783527324491
- Schulz , C. , and Sick , V. Tracer-LIF Diagnostics: Quantitative Measurement of Fuel Concentration, Temperature and Fuel/Air Ratio in Practical Combustion Systems Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 31 1 75 121 2005 10.1016/j.pecs.2004.08.002
- Zhao , H. , and Ladommatos , N. Optical Diagnostics for In-Cylinder Mixture Formation Measurements in IC Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 24 4 297 336 1998 10.1016/S0360-1285(98)80026-9
- Guibert , P. , Modica , V. , and Morin , C. Influence of Pressure, Temperature and Gas Phase Composition on Biacetyl Laser-Induced Fluorescence Exp Fluids 40 2 245 256 2006 10.1007/s00348-005-0064-y
- Cundy , M. , Schucht , T. , Thiele , O. , and Sick , V. High-Speed Laser-Induced Fluorescence and Spark Plug Absorption Sensor Diagnostics for Mixing and Combustion Studies in Engines Appl. Opt. 48 4 B94 B104 2009 10.1364/AO.48.000B94
- Geiger , M. , Schröder , L. , Zöllner , C. , Brüggemann , D. et al. Optical Evaluation of Directly Injected Methane Using a Newly Developed Highly Repetitive Laser Diagnostics System SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0134 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0134